Ok heres a new one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to start wiggling wires!

There's got to be a short somewhere. Could even be a bad connector with only a strand or two of wire that works when you hold it straight to test, then when you put it back on, connection brakes. [Hell, almost every one of my phone charger cables has done that over time] Try wiggling the connectors back and forth while testing. I'm assuming you've checked the grounding cable to make sure it clean and tight? No corrosion, grease, or dirt on the cable connector or the motor/frame? Maybe you should get a set of Dave's cables to be safe. Couldn't hurt and at this point, what have you got to loose?

I'm willing to bet you a fiver, when you do finally find the culprit, you're going to smack yourself in the forehead for not noticing sooner. That's how it always ends.
    Last edited by Doc_V; 03-02-2019, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Lol I've messed with all the plugs n cables enough that they would had to have worked atleast one of the times I've been over em...
      Yea ground is good , clean, etc. Cable ohms out perfect ...
      these are the bikes I hate.. I say "welcome to the vortex" when I get one of these.. (I live around Sedona Arizona, lots of vortex in Sedona) ...

Comment

Ok update... So every reg I've tried gave me same results... Even bought a mosfet just to bypass all factory wiring.. Just fired it off n same deal..
        Unplugged n it's 60+acv
        Plugged in its 11 ACV
        Had stator cover off n all wires were good, all stator ohms tests are perfect ... WTF...

Comment

I'm reaching for straws here, but do you know the lineage of the bike? Been a few of floods around the country in recent years. Just sayin. How many miles on it, how long have you had it and was it running fine when you got it? How did you first figure out it had a charging problem? How long do you let the bike run before testing? Do you let it heat up? Wondering if you have hair line fracture in a stator wire. Would test different cold vs warm.

I know you're a pro at this, but the more we know the more it will help us, and sometimes it helps to discuss things out loud to jar the brain. I know I've been guilty of over thinking a problem in the past only to find out it was something basic.
          Last edited by Doc_V; 03-08-2019, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_V View Post
            I'm reaching for straws here, but do you know the lineage of the bike? Been a few of floods around the country in recent years. Just sayin. How many miles on it, how long have you had it and was it running fine when you got it? How did you first figure out it had a charging problem? How long do you let the bike run before testing? Do you let it heat up? Wondering if you have hair line fracture in a stator wire. Would test different cold vs warm.

I know you're a pro at this, but the more we know the more it will help us, and sometimes it helps to discuss things out loud to jar the brain. I know I've been guilty of over thinking a problem in the past only to find out it was something basic.
            It's a customers bike... But it's been here since end of January.. Guess it's a good thing it's been shit weather this year or I might have a royally pissed off customer...
            cold or hot it reads pretty much the same...
            Supposedly the customer rode it last year w no problems .. I always check charging at battery when looking a bike over.. Noticed it wasn't charging, then started testing. Found bad stator, replaced stator along w reg... As I said above decided to try to mosfet to eliminate the factory wiring all together..

Comment

Well, just put a bell on the bike, give it back the customer and hope for the best. if he comes back to complain provide him a link to this thread. No one can fault you for not trying hard enough.

Comment

Is there any chance that someone replaced the starter relay with 1 from a warrior and the cables are crossed on it. As I said in another post that kinda got ignored all power goes thru the starter relay to get back to the battery thru the only battery cable/wire on the bike that ends at the battery. If you tried anther type of reg/rec that bypasses the bike wiring from the oem reg/rec then you don't have the proper inputs to the reg/rec. So the wiring back to the stator needs to be checked better than what has been done to this point or you still have a bad stator. sometime you have to actually cut harnesses apart to find the issue, don't be afraid of it just fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by davej View Post
                  Is there any chance that someone replaced the starter relay with 1 from a warrior and the cables are crossed on it. As I said in another post that kinda got ignored all power goes thru the starter relay to get back to the battery thru the only battery cable/wire on the bike that ends at the battery. If you tried anther type of reg/rec that bypasses the bike wiring from the oem reg/rec then you don't have the proper inputs to the reg/rec. So the wiring back to the stator needs to be checked better than what has been done to this point or you still have a bad stator. sometime you have to actually cut harnesses apart to find the issue, don't be afraid of it just fix it.

Highly Doubtful anyone has messed w the starter relay.. Customer rode it all last year , then it sat a bit for "winter" , I did a carb clean, oil change n checked bike over.. I always check charging at battery when looking a bike over..
                  yes I used a mosfet reg on my last try which bypasses all the factory wiring (plugged into stator plug at battery n red/black go straight to battery) exact same results using factory wiring or bypassing it all.
                  Its a new OEM stator that checks out perfect (ohms perfect n nothing to ground as it should) puts out all the ACV it should unplugged.. But it may well be my next part to replace again...

Comment

Davej
                    Totally didn't catch what you were saying on ur other reply.... But it has battery voltage on both starter relay reds n at reg plug , shows a perfect circuit at .06 ohms from reg plug on all points of the red up to battery..

Comment

Well if everything(Hard parts) all check out good then it is time to start grabbing hands full of harness and wiggling them and all connectors or start cutting into harness for a look see.

Comment

Well if everything(Hard parts) all check out good then it is time to start grabbing hands full of harness and wiggling them and all connectors or start cutting into harness for a look see.
                        But all the wiring shows good.. Ohms out perfect.. From battery forward,stator ohms out perfect.. It only stops working when I plug in the stator at the plug by battery w a regulator hooked up.. At reg plug it shows ACV n battery voltage..
                        I checked for ground to stator body when I had the cover off the other day n it was OFL....
                        WTF am I missing.. My brain is baffled..

Comment

you are missing a bad/intermittent connection or a partially broken wire somewhere. I'm serious when I say start grabbing and pulling on harness and connectors.

Comment

I'm with Dave on this. Like I mentioned a while back you more than likely have a short or only a few good strands left somewhere. With a multimeter attached using the alligator clips, wiggle the wires vigorously, bending them back and forth, stuff them back in, pull them straight, and not just at the connector either, but the whole wire.

Did the customer ever complain about the problem before you tested it? Again, like I said earlier, Roadstars are known for weak charging systems. It doesn't take much to put a strain on the system and suck up the power. The customer may not have even known he had a problem. My bike has an aftermarket volt meter that reads 11 volts when I turn the key on; and that's even with new YUASA battery. With the motor running, it reads right at 12 volts, only peaking at 13 once in a brief while. Technically you could say there's a problem, but it works fine. While trying to be thorouh, it's *possible* you may be chasing a problem that really isn't an issue for the customer.

Comment

Did the customer ever complain about the problem before you tested it? Again, like I said earlier, Roadstars are known for weak charging systems. It doesn't take much to put a strain on the system and suck up the power. The customer may not have even known he had a problem. My bike has an aftermarket volt meter that reads 11 volts when I turn the key on; and that's even with new YUASA battery. With the motor running, it reads right at 12 volts, only peaking at 13 once in a brief while. Technically you could say there's a problem, but it works fine. It's *possible* you may be chasing a problem that really isn't an issue for the customer.

lol he said it was fine last year while riding it... It does have a set of extra lights up front that are always on (wired in by his buddy) ...
                              I know the stator was bad from the tests I performed (was only putting out like 30 ACV) that's the whole reason behind doing the repair....
                              but if yours is reading that low then I guess it could very well be perfectly fine now (those volt meters read a volt or more low from my experience) what's it read at your battery posts ? (Bike off, bike running)

Comment

Good news for me, not so good for you. Turns out you're right about the meter. The bike has been sitting a while and I got 12.5v at the terminals with the key off. Motor running, it started at 12.8v and leveled off at 14.2v after about a minute. Oh well.

Comment

Good news for me, not so good for you. Turns out you're right about the meter. The bike has been sitting a while and I got 12.5v at the terminals with the key off. Motor running, it started at 12.8v and leveled off at 14.2v after about a minute. Oh well.
                                  LOL dam...

Comment

Ok so played w plugs n harness .. No change..

Comment

Without being there to see and check I can't give any more advice other than If you have good output from the stator the stator is good if your rec/reg has good input then the circuit is good between the stator and the reg/rec. If not good input then the problem is between the reg/rec and the stator. if this is good to this point and you have good input to the reg/rec and bad output from the reg/rec then the reg is bad, if good output from the reg but bad at the battery the problem is somewhere between the reg and the battery. That is the only way I know to narrow it down. There has to be a charging wire in the plug that is plugged into the starter relay in order for it to get to the short pos battery cable to reach the battery. I'm not sure what color it is but it would be a larger ga wire. That would also be a good check point. With this said I'm out but will be watching and crossing my fingers that you find the issue and let us know what you found. Don't disappear and not tell us like a lot of others have done.

Comment

Without being there to see and check I can't give any more advice other than If you have good output from the stator the stator is good if your rec/reg has good input then the circuit is good between the stator and the reg/rec. If not good input then the problem is between the reg/rec and the stator. if this is good to this point and you have good input to the reg/rec and bad output from the reg/rec then the reg is bad, if good output from the reg but bad at the battery the problem is somewhere between the reg and the battery. That is the only way I know to narrow it down. There has to be a charging wire in the plug that is plugged into the starter relay in order for it to get to the short pos battery cable to reach the battery. I'm not sure what color it is but it would be a larger ga wire. That would also be a good check point. With this said I'm out but will be watching and crossing my fingers that you find the issue and let us know what you found. Don't disappear and not tell us like a lot of others have done.
                                        Lol you all will be the second to know if it all works out...
                                        it shows good as long as either the reg isn't plugged in or the stator is unplugged..

Comment

Originally posted by Qkenuf4u View Post

Lol you all will be the second to know if it all works out...
                                          it shows good as long as either the reg isn't plugged in or the stator is unplugged..

I'll take it 2nd to know isn't a bad place.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                          Started by Lucky, 1 day ago
                                          5 responses
                                          1 like
                                          Last Post davej
                                          by davej

Started by GuitarSlinger85, 1 week ago
                                          16 responses
                                          1 like
                                          Last Post Horsehammerr  
                                          Started by cap-tech, 1 week ago
                                          14 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post 6feet
                                          by 6feet

Started by Megasquirter, 1 day ago
                                          13 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post Father Pobasturd  
                                          Started by YZ18, 09-24-2019, 04:51 PM
                                          24 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post Jeaston
                                          by Jeaston

Started by davej, 22 hours ago
                                          7 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post Jaybo
                                          by Jaybo

Started by Father Pobasturd, 05-24-2019, 03:51 PM
                                          816 responses
                                          1 like
                                          Last Post JoeBloShmo  
                                          Started by Questcap, 03-27-2018, 12:45 PM
                                          84 responses
                                          4 likes
                                          Last Post cap-tech  
                                          Started by Ret HPD, 1 week ago
                                          18 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post Horsehammerr  
                                          Started by boomerA, 2 days ago
                                          9 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post davej
                                          by davej

Started by area1509, 2 days ago
                                          3 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post brianmac  
                                          Started by cap-tech, 2 weeks ago
                                          36 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post brianmac  
                                          Started by cap-tech, 1 day ago
                                          0 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post cap-tech  
                                          Started by Smokescreens, 03-05-2018, 11:34 AM
                                          258 responses
                                          12 likes
                                          Last Post J89k
                                          by J89k

Started by Trex Star, 1 week ago
                                          13 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post Bikerron  
                                          Started by Mikegoat2497, 10-01-2019, 06:01 PM
                                          37 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post Mikegoat2497  
                                          Started by Lug Nut, 2 days ago
                                          2 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post davej
                                          by davej

Started by Milkman, 2 weeks ago
                                          17 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post davej
                                          by davej

Started by jjvw, 6 days ago
                                          3 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post roadiemort  
                                          Started by GuitarSlinger85, 4 days ago
                                          5 responses
                                          0 likes
                                          Last Post brianmac  
                                          Working...
                                          X