Blinker Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blinker Fluid

My turn signals will not work! Can not get it inspected. Do not even know where to start.
    Edit: 03 Silverado no light modifications except running lights.

Lets take a step back. I presume they did work at some point? When did they stop? Any changes or modifications at that time?

You mention "except running lights". Did you add the passing lamps that go alongside the headlight? If so, are they the style that requires you to remove the front turn signals and mount them to the light bar? Just trying to picture what's involved here.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad_G View Post
      Lets take a step back. I presume they did work at some point? When did they stop? Any changes or modifications at that time?

You mention "except running lights". Did you add the passing lamps that go alongside the headlight? If so, are they the style that requires you to remove the front turn signals and mount them to the light bar? Just trying to picture what's involved here.
      Excellent questions, everything worked for a time, then they just quit. Blinkers are mounted below each running light. Can not find a solution.

Comment

Well if I had to start with most probable places I'd say look for a blown fuse. I believe they're under your left side cover (mine is on the '08). An owners manual will give location if you have one. Otherwise it can be downloaded in PDF form. I'm sure someone can help you find one.

A blown fuse can be from a few sources. Once in a while it's a bad bulb (broken filament crosses and shorts). One of the next likely culprits is the insulation rubbed away on a wire. Most commonly those in the front as they get dragged through the light bar mount.

Do the running lights on your front signals work or are those out too?

And I presume you get nothing with the turn signal. By that I mean no light at all, not just a light that doesn't flash.

Comment

• MidnightRide
          MidnightRide commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, fuse would be my first choice, then looking for a short.

And here I was, totally looking forward to recommending the correct fluid for the blinkers. Sheesh...

• Brad_G
          Brad_G commented
          Editing a comment
          MidnightRide, you can still interject that as well. We always need something to chuckle about.

Remove the headlight from the headlight bucket and carefully inspect all the wires. You probably have a pinch turn signal wire inside the bucket somewhere or something's grounding out. Of course you also should check the bulbs in each of the blinkers. I think they're 1157 but I'm don't remember for sure
        LET'S RIDE

Comment

If your running (driving) lights are like mine, and the wires for the turn signals, front running lights and driving lights are run through the mounts, I strongly suspect that you have a blown fuse caused by one or more of the wires shorting to the mount. When the manufacturers built the mount, they probably used a machine to do so (not hand manufacture) The slot and the ends of the bar that the wires run through most likely have 'flash', or a very sharp metal edge on the inside of the hole slot and/or end of the pipe left when the slot was milled/ pipe was cut. Over a surprisingly short time, the vibrations of your vee-twin running will cause these sharp edges to slice through the insulation, causing the wire(s) to short out. After multiple attempts, including shrink tubing on the wires where they pass through the openings, changing the wire gauge, and trying to de-burr the sharp edges, I found that use of a Dremel-like tool, with both barrel and ball-shaped bits, applied to the openings eventually removed enough of the 'flash' or burrs to solve the problem.
          Checking the wires for grounds is the first step to see if this is the cause of your problem. Just changing a blown fuse doesn't solve it. I know, because I absolutely HATE tracking down
          electrical problems! One other thing to mention...when a lot of these chromed/plated accessories are manufactured, the threaded portions get plated, which changes their dimensions. Therefore, before assembling any plated connections, it behooves the consumer to chase the threads with either the appropriate tap or die , to clean up the threads to avoid galling of said threads, making the threaded joints seize.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F6B64F54-1F70-4806-A11C-222EB0BB02EE.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	146637

$20 Shipped
            2009 Roady
            2009 Stratoliner S

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Mr. Miyagi commented
              Editing a comment
              Liquid gold, enough to fill up 2 vehicles. And due to the current shipping issues, a bargain...

• MidnightRide
              MidnightRide commented
              Editing a comment
              I use the Chinese knockoff version myself, but it doesn't last as long.

Originally posted by Brad_G View Post
            Well if I had to start with most probable places I'd say look for a blown fuse. I believe they're under your left side cover (mine is on the '08). An owners manual will give location if you have one. Otherwise it can be downloaded in PDF form. I'm sure someone can help you find one.

A blown fuse can be from a few sources. Once in a while it's a bad bulb (broken filament crosses and shorts). One of the next likely culprits is the insulation rubbed away on a wire. Most commonly those in the front as they get dragged through the light bar mount.

Do the running lights on your front signals work or are those out too?

And I presume you get nothing with the turn signal. By that I mean no light at all, not just a light that doesn't flash.
            Everything but the blinkers work, and no light at all.

Comment

I have yet to find a blown fuse, I will check all the things in the next few days.

Comment

• Brad_G
                Brad_G commented
                Editing a comment
                If you don't have a blown fuse, then you could either have a faulty flasher unit itself, or possibly a connection issue with the control in the left handle. I know some have taken the controls apart to clean the contacts. I would probably first test the flasher.

How do I check the flasher, I know it is a big unit in side one of the side panels.

Comment

• Brad_G
                Brad_G commented
                Editing a comment
                The easiest option is to swap in a known good unit. I'd have to look at my notes to see if I can remember the particular pins to use a simple two prong flasher available at any auto parts store. I replaced my OEM flasher with a two prong designed for LED lamps. The downside is losing the self canceling feature of the turns. But I just manually turn them off after a turn or lane change.

The easiest option is to swap in a known good unit. I'd have to look at my notes to see if I can remember the particular pins to use a simple two prong flasher available at any auto parts store. I replaced my OEM flasher with a two prong designed for LED lamps. The downside is losing the self canceling feature of the turns. But I just manually turn them off after a turn or lane change.

I have a flasher, can you supply the pinout?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashbang View Post
                I have a flasher, can you supply the pinout?
                Here's a couple pictures I took while I was doing my lighting upgrade. I used an electronic flasher that is polarity dependent similar to LED bulbs. If you have an older mechanical flasher I don't believe it will be polarity dependent. I looked up the wiring diagram for a 1600 and it appears the wiring color is the same as my '08. The brown wire is the power source (batt/12v/+ marking on LED type flasher) and the brown/white is the load side which goes to the switch.

Here's what it looks like on the bike. Keep in mind that the later '08+ fuel injected bikes these relays moved from the right side cover to the left.

Comment

I just saw an article where Volkwagen was recommending the use of synthetic blinker fluid in all their vehicles. HONEST!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Father Pobasturd, 22 minutes ago
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Father Pobasturd  
                  Started by 07Roadstar, 04-09-2018, 10:58 AM
                  9 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Father Pobasturd