Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition

Where can I buy a new ignition, I lost the damn key. Need a new ignition barrel, or can you order keys with your Vin Number ?

It's a 2008 if that makes any difference.

Comment

There is a used one for sale on FB for $140.. new one will run you about $265 shipped as I recall. I just replaced in on my 2000. If you want the info on the used one let me know. You can order a new one from out site supporter Yamaha dealership. BubbaKahuna here on this site can hook you up.

Kind of a paint to remove the old one due to using "break away" security bolts you have to drill out. Just go slow and use a GOOD sharp strong bit and a strong drill
      LET'S RIDE

Comment

remove yours and bring it and a key blank to a locksmith. he can fix you up in no time. You do not need a new one. The problem you are gonna have if you replace it is that the old key also fit the fuel tank cap. Bringing it to a locksmith will give you a key that is the same as the oem key so it will work on the fuel cap also

Comment

• Brad_G
          Brad_G commented
          Editing a comment
          Plus, when the old key shows up (and we know it will when we don't need it) then it will still continue to work.

• roadiemort
          roadiemort commented
          Editing a comment
          Truth, lost keys in winter found them in spring after the snow melt lol.

Originally posted by davej View Post
        remove yours and bring it and a key blank to a locksmith. he can fix you up in no time. You do not need a new one. The problem you are gonna have if you replace it is that the old key also fit the fuel tank cap. Bringing it to a locksmith will give you a key that is the same as the oem key so it will work on the fuel cap also
        With that in mind, wouldn't it be easier to just yank the fuel cap and have a key made for that? I haven't pulled an ignition but it sounds more challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightRide View Post

With that in mind, wouldn't it be easier to just yank the fuel cap and have a key made for that? I haven't pulled an ignition but it sounds more challenging.
        Not sure a locksmith can do that without a key first....they can rekey but don't know about doing it without any proper factory key. Definitely worth checking before you pull ignition!!!
        LET'S RIDE

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8171095385243/
          LET'S RIDE

Comment

A key is very easy for a locksmith to make. Once the tumbler is removed he can just insert the blank and see where the tumbler sets on the body and cut it until it is flat against the case. I laugh everytime I see someone talk about replacing the ignition because of a sticky key. All that needs to be done is remove the ignition switch then remove the tumbler assembly, insert the key and see what tumblers are sticking out past the tumbler body. When you see what one is sticking out you just need to file it down to the tumbler body so it will allow the key to turn. As far as removing the ignition grind the heads off the bolts and remove it then use vise grips to remove the rest of the treads from the frame or use a chisel to loosens them by tapping the edge of the head going counter clockwise. On re-assembly use hex head bolts. there is no need to use the security bolts.

Comment

• Shores
              Shores commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. Or you could take it to your local state penitentiary and they will figure it out.

Originally posted by davej View Post
            A key is very easy for a locksmith to make. Once the tumbler is removed he can just insert the blank and see where the tumbler sets on the body and cut it until it is flat against the case. I laugh everytime I see someone talk about replacing the ignition because of a sticky key. All that needs to be done is remove the ignition switch then remove the tumbler assembly, insert the key and see what tumblers are sticking out past the tumbler body. When you see what one is sticking out you just need to file it down to the tumbler body so it will allow the key to turn. As far as removing the ignition grind the heads off the bolts and remove it then use vise grips to remove the rest of the treads from the frame or use a chisel to loosens them by tapping the edge of the head going counter clockwise. On re-assembly use hex head bolts. there is no need to use the security bolts.
            My local locksmith told me it likely wouldn't work and to get a new ignition...maybe he just didn't want to mess with it?
            LET'S RIDE

Comment

• davej
              davej commented
              Editing a comment
              Had to be that he didn't want to mess with it. Hell I seen a locksmith making a key for someone that lost their keys at Costco in the parking lot. He was making it using the door lock and a key blank. I'm not sure how that process is done but I walked past him when he was doing it. He was sitting on a stool with a portable work bench and working away.

wouldnt it be easier to put in a switch to do the ignitions tasks, who needs a damn key anyway? use a harley type switch ?

Comment

• davej
              davej commented
              Editing a comment
              how would that work with the fork lock, fuel cap and seat latch? Fixing the key issue is really not complicated.

I had one made for mine by a locksmith . Easy to drill our lock bolts, and take it in. It took him about 15 minutes. I had two made and hid one on the bike. $15

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

BubbaKahuna
            Administrator
            Tykes_Place
            Admin
            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by penningpd, 16 hours ago
            15 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post davej