Taillight and Blinker Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taillight and Blinker Issue

Fired my bikes up yesterday. Been a while.

Noticed the taillight is out, including the brake light. Also the right blinker is rapid while the left is normal. Haven't checked fuses or anything, just needed to run the motor for a while.

Maybe a short?

And.... It's going to snow tonight. Eastern Washington, near Spokane. Our change of weather is now 'official'.

Bulb?

Comment

• MidnightRide
      MidnightRide commented
      Editing a comment
      For the taillight, could be, but odd that both elements went at the same time. Really wondering most about the blinker issue. I'll have to trace it down I guess.

On older cars, if one of the two turn lamps burned out it would do a hyper-flash. So I'd look at the signals on both ends to see if you have a right side bulb out. On the brake light did you try both the handlebar lever and foot pedal? I have a sticky switch on the handlebar that doesn't always function as it should. Could be a sticky switch and a burned out tail light bulb. Start simple and check the fuses and bulbs.

Comment

• MidnightRide
      MidnightRide commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I checked both brakes a couple times, thanks. Both blinkers, front and rear, work and are doing the same. That was the extent of my quick analysis at the moment. I probably need to yank that brake bulb and have a look. I know with my last bike I had to use a heavy duty bulb because the vibration would break the filaments. Very well could just be burnt out and I've only now noticed it. It's possible the brake light's been out for a while but it wasn't until I noticed the running light that I opted to check. Who checks their brake light??!! Unless I'm with other riders I just wouldn't know.

I tend to check the brake light fairly often, but that's because I know the switch is iffy. So I'm trying to detect what mood it's in on any given day. Never thought about about the filaments and the shake the fender has (mine has the newer style LED light). Maybe a better option is a red LED bulb for replacement. Should handle the vibrations better. I bought a 4 pack of them the other day off Ebay for ~$10.

Comment

The brake light lights up pretty good. If you ride at night, you will see it come on in your mirrors, reflecting off of stuff behind you..

Comment

Originally posted by Brad_G View Post
        I tend to check the brake light fairly often, but that's because I know the switch is iffy. So I'm trying to detect what mood it's in on any given day. Never thought about about the filaments and the shake the fender has (mine has the newer style LED light). Maybe a better option is a red LED bulb for replacement. Should handle the vibrations better. I bought a 4 pack of them the other day off Ebay for ~$10.
        Sounds like a good idea. Just ordered a set of 4 on Amazon. Finger's crossed...

The only reason I posted this was just in case any flags went up for anyone, since both lights are having issues. I was thinking some kind of short or something, but maybe not related at all. In the old days my car flashing module would go awry and cause the rapid flashing of the blinkers.

It's running about 33* out in that section of my shop building right now...

Comment

One down, one to go.

It's never a good thing when you pull your taillight lens off and two screws fall out from the INSIDE of the lens. Vibrated and rattled right out of the bulb housing posts.

Oh.

So the bulb housing was hanging by the wire and contained within the enclosure. Apparently that taillight gets HOT. It totally melted the plastic screw post that holds the left bulb housing screw in place. At some point it was too much for the bulb so it blew the glass out, causing a sudden failure of both filaments.

My LED's came in so I stuck one in it to test the circuit, and all was well. Drove the right bulb housing screw back in and buttoned it back up. I may be able to tap a longer screw into the melted plastic, but will likely just take the queue as a prod to order up some aftermarket mods.

Regarding the turn signal, has anyone else had an issue with a hyper blinker on one side or the other?

As to the LED running/stop bulb upgrade, any known issues with that? There was a disclaimer on the LED bulb pack that said something about adding a resistor or something if the bulb was going into a turn signal or similar.

Aren't the LED's known for excessive heat? Can I put them directly into my blinkers or do I need to beef the system in some way?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulb Post.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	133104

Comment

The resistors are to prevent the hyper flash where you have a common brake/turn light (red brake and turn combo on a car). In your case you shouldn't need a resistor for the brake. While LEDs do get heat buildup they won't be as hot as your incandescent bulb.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

BubbaKahuna
            Administrator
            Tykes_Place
            Admin
            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by penningpd, 16 hours ago
            15 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post davej