Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texasscott1
    commented on 's reply
    No, I just noticed the ad and the price.

• jcova58
    commented on 's reply
    Did you replace your OEM shock with the one from SS Custom Cycles?

• D-Fresh
    replied
    No worries Doc,

we’re all here to help each other! Your experience is good to hear and helps others. Keep us updated on your progress.

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    Sorry D-Fresh, didn't mean to jack your thread...

I'd prefer to get the spring direct from Eibach. [For the record, RaceTech and Barons springs are both rebranded Eibachs and it's cheaper to buy direct] However, in order to purchase from Eibach, I need to know the inner diameter and length. Like I said, I think it might be 2.25" x 6" but I'm not certain.

I'll keep searching the the GL sites and call progressive on Monday, they may be able to tell me and I'll post what I find here for anyone who's looking in the future.

Leave a comment:

• davej
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc_V View Post

Thanks Jason. The reason I was asking about the size is, between all my gear on my bike and my big-arse, I'm thinking of upgrading to an Eibach 1100lb spring for my Roadwing, but I need to know the size. I've already talked to Eibach and RaceTech and neither has the specifics on hand and it's been so long since I ordered my last one that I'm not certain about the size.
    If you are buying a spring to install on the Roadwing shock buy one to fit a GL 1800 Goldwing. That would be the spring to properly fit the Roadwing not a Yamaha R* spring. The R* spring will work but it isn't really the proper match.

Leave a comment:

• Tykes_Place
    replied
    I swapped a 1200 progressive spring onto the roadwing shock. Excellent combo.
    If you're brave enough you can swap the spring yourself.
    Tutorial: https://sites.google.com/site/tykesp...spring-upgrade

Leave a comment:

• Smokescreens
    commented on 's reply
    just order the progressive spring. its 1,000-1,200

• Doc_V
    replied
    Originally posted by Smokescreens View Post
    if i have a loose spring at home i will get you the physical size if you wabt but like i said in the pm you likely havent had time to read yet the spring rate on a roadwing is 840lbs
    Thanks Jason. The reason I was asking about the size is, between all my gear on my bike and my big-arse, I'm thinking of upgrading to an Eibach 1100lb spring for my Roadwing, but I need to know the size. I've already talked to Eibach and RaceTech and neither has the specifics on hand and it's been so long since I ordered my last one that I'm not certain about the size.
    Last edited by Doc_V; 10-05-2018, 08:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Smokescreens
    replied
    if i have a loose spring at home i will get you the physical size if you wabt but like i said in the pm you likely havent had time to read yet the spring rate on a roadwing is 840lbs

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    Does anyone know the specs on the stock spring? I'm thinking its' 2.25" x 6". It's been so long since I bought mine that I can't remember.

Leave a comment:

• Jclevesque
    replied
    Save your money until you get the roadwing. You wont regret it! Its an awesome upgrade that i should of done 1st.

Leave a comment:

• Rob in FL
    commented on 's reply
    If yours is leaking and you still want to do just the spring I will give you the stock shock off mine, if you could pay shipping.
    Rob

• Moser39
    replied
    The Roadwing from Smokescreens was my ticket to ride. I always ride two up about 350 pounds with me and the wife. At 18k tired of mushy bottoming out from stock shock. Had the Roadwing installed and won't leave home without it.

Leave a comment:

• texasscott1
    replied
    SS Custom Cycle has the standard progressive rear shock at a very good price with free shipping.

https://sscustomcycle.com/product/pr...-series-shock/

Leave a comment:

• D-Fresh
    replied
    The verdict is definitely in on this subject! Its not really the answer i wanted to hear (LOL) but it saved me from throwing money away that can go to proper suspension upgrades. Thank you everyone for your input.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Smokescreens
    replied
    everyone knows what i will recomend. a spring will only hold you up better. it wont do shit to make it handle better.

i understand wanting to go the cheap route but sometimes you just need to realize your throwing good money after bad. i dont care if you get it from me or not but please dont waste your money on a spring swap. your paying service fees or buying tools to swap the spring either way so that makes it not just the cost of a spring to do.

Leave a comment:

• scottw
    replied
    Originally posted by D-Fresh View Post
    I’m curious if the replacement spring from Barons would be a worthy endeavor to upgrade the rear suspension (fairly low buck) or a waste of money? Does anyone have experience with this spring? The other thought i had is would the increased spring rate be too much for the stock shock setup? See pic if you’re unfamiliar with this item.

Regards
    I installed that spring on my 06 silverado,did it help?

Yes it was an improvement!

Was it as good as the Roadwing or maybe Progressives new shock & spring combo?

No & after installing the Barons shock spring on my 06 R* i would not rec do it because the stock yami shock with just about no dampening is the root problem.

Problem is stock rear shock was too weak not having enough dampening when new let alone after you get some miles on it where it go's to just about useless dampening wise where the new Barons spring will help some but cant make up for the lack of proper dampening the stock shock simply doesn't have.

BTW,I also installed progressive std height springs at same time i installed the barons shock spring which was an improvement in overall handling of the R*,thats for sure.

Replacing fork springs is easy,remove fork caps,remove old springs,install new springr with spacers,replace any fork oil if lost) & then re-install fork caps,and your good to go.

Changing fork oil is a completely different animal being a real time consuming PIA on the R*!

But what i rec doing is go for the roadwing RAP shock mod from Smokescreens here on RSC along with also installing std height progressive fork springs both at the same time which working collectively together will significantly improve overall handling while reducing fork dive when braking at the same time too!

Scott

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    commented on 's reply
    FYI, if you do go with the spring, if you order direct from Eibach, you can always return it for another spring rate if it's not strong enough or too stiff for your liking, assuming is still in resalable condition. I had to do that when I used to race and they were really cool about it. Of course you pay the shipping.

• AreikUSA
    replied
    Roadwing is definitely worth it.. I now couldn't imagine life without it.

Leave a comment:

• highvoltage
    replied
    I had the dealer install an Eibach Spring on my 2003 a year after I owned the bike. I did it because I ride two up 98% of the time. My damper (so far) is not leaking and the bike feels solid two up. I think the weak OEM spring is what ruins the damper. However, if mine ever leakes, I would certainly will install a Roadwing. Just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Jon D, 36 minutes ago
4 responses
0 likes
Last Post Jon D
by Jon D

Started by Lug Nut, 21 minutes ago
2 responses
0 likes