Rear Shock Spring Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Shock Spring Replacement

I’m curious if the replacement spring from Barons would be a worthy endeavor to upgrade the rear suspension (fairly low buck) or a waste of money? Does anyone have experience with this spring? The other thought i had is would the increased spring rate be too much for the stock shock setup? See pic if you’re unfamiliar with this item.

Regards
    2012 Road Star Silverado S

You’re going to get mixed reviews on this.
    If the damper isn’t leaking, I think it’s worth it. I think the crappy stock spring, is partly to blame for the early damper failure. I’ve done the big red spring on one of mine, and a Progressive Spring on the other. The big red spring(Barons or Eibach), gives a bit stiffer ride.

But...

Before you plunk money down on just the spring, you might want to look into the Roadwing damper/spring combo, that many on here have gone to. Smokescreen can fix you up. The damper is better. He usually has one ready to go, or close to it. The ride can be adjusted for firmness with a knob. They’re actually off of Goldwings, and are altered to fit the Roadies.

Comment

I did the Eibach spring on my 99. Eibach is who provides Baron's with their spring, but is cheaper because you're not paying for the Baron's name. My shock was shot so it just made things worse... I eventually went with the Roadwing and never looked back... Like SKWEARpeg said, may be better to save the money on the spring and just put it toward the Roadwing. The difference is night and day.
      Last edited by Doc_V; 10-04-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• D-Fresh
        D-Fresh commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, i’m trying to go the cheaper route, you know what that usually gets you in the long run... ugh

• Doc_V
        Doc_V commented
        Editing a comment
        FYI, if you do go with the spring, if you order direct from Eibach, you can always return it for another spring rate if it's not strong enough or too stiff for your liking, assuming is still in resalable condition. I had to do that when I used to race and they were really cool about it. Of course you pay the shipping.

That’s kind of what i was wondering, bang for the buck, $80 vs approx $300 (IIRC)? Is the additional $$$ that big of a difference? I will look at the stock damper to see if it is leaking. Thanks

Comment

• Rob in FL
        Rob in FL commented
        Editing a comment
        If yours is leaking and you still want to do just the spring I will give you the stock shock off mine, if you could pay shipping.
        Rob

I had the dealer install an Eibach Spring on my 2003 a year after I owned the bike. I did it because I ride two up 98% of the time. My damper (so far) is not leaking and the bike feels solid two up. I think the weak OEM spring is what ruins the damper. However, if mine ever leakes, I would certainly will install a Roadwing. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Roadwing is definitely worth it.. I now couldn't imagine life without it.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Fresh View Post
          I’m curious if the replacement spring from Barons would be a worthy endeavor to upgrade the rear suspension (fairly low buck) or a waste of money? Does anyone have experience with this spring? The other thought i had is would the increased spring rate be too much for the stock shock setup? See pic if you’re unfamiliar with this item.

Regards
          I installed that spring on my 06 silverado,did it help?

Yes it was an improvement!

Was it as good as the Roadwing or maybe Progressives new shock & spring combo?

No & after installing the Barons shock spring on my 06 R* i would not rec do it because the stock yami shock with just about no dampening is the root problem.

Problem is stock rear shock was too weak not having enough dampening when new let alone after you get some miles on it where it go's to just about useless dampening wise where the new Barons spring will help some but cant make up for the lack of proper dampening the stock shock simply doesn't have.

BTW,I also installed progressive std height springs at same time i installed the barons shock spring which was an improvement in overall handling of the R*,thats for sure.

Replacing fork springs is easy,remove fork caps,remove old springs,install new springr with spacers,replace any fork oil if lost) & then re-install fork caps,and your good to go.

Changing fork oil is a completely different animal being a real time consuming PIA on the R*!

But what i rec doing is go for the roadwing RAP shock mod from Smokescreens here on RSC along with also installing std height progressive fork springs both at the same time which working collectively together will significantly improve overall handling while reducing fork dive when braking at the same time too!

Scott

Comment

everyone knows what i will recomend. a spring will only hold you up better. it wont do shit to make it handle better.

i understand wanting to go the cheap route but sometimes you just need to realize your throwing good money after bad. i dont care if you get it from me or not but please dont waste your money on a spring swap. your paying service fees or buying tools to swap the spring either way so that makes it not just the cost of a spring to do.
            my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

Comment

The verdict is definitely in on this subject! Its not really the answer i wanted to hear (LOL) but it saved me from throwing money away that can go to proper suspension upgrades. Thank you everyone for your input.

Cheers

Comment

SS Custom Cycle has the standard progressive rear shock at a very good price with free shipping.

https://sscustomcycle.com/product/pr...-series-shock/
                Scott B.

Comment

• jcova58
                  jcova58 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did you replace your OEM shock with the one from SS Custom Cycles?

• texasscott1
                  texasscott1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, I just noticed the ad and the price.

The Roadwing from Smokescreens was my ticket to ride. I always ride two up about 350 pounds with me and the wife. At 18k tired of mushy bottoming out from stock shock. Had the Roadwing installed and won't leave home without it.

Comment

Save your money until you get the roadwing. You wont regret it! Its an awesome upgrade that i should of done 1st.

Comment

Does anyone know the specs on the stock spring? I'm thinking its' 2.25" x 6". It's been so long since I bought mine that I can't remember.

Comment

if i have a loose spring at home i will get you the physical size if you wabt but like i said in the pm you likely havent had time to read yet the spring rate on a roadwing is 840lbs
                      my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

Comment

Originally posted by Smokescreens View Post
                        if i have a loose spring at home i will get you the physical size if you wabt but like i said in the pm you likely havent had time to read yet the spring rate on a roadwing is 840lbs
                        Thanks Jason. The reason I was asking about the size is, between all my gear on my bike and my big-arse, I'm thinking of upgrading to an Eibach 1100lb spring for my Roadwing, but I need to know the size. I've already talked to Eibach and RaceTech and neither has the specifics on hand and it's been so long since I ordered my last one that I'm not certain about the size.
                        Last edited by Doc_V; 10-05-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Smokescreens
                          Smokescreens commented
                          Editing a comment
                          just order the progressive spring. its 1,000-1,200

I swapped a 1200 progressive spring onto the roadwing shock. Excellent combo.
                        If you're brave enough you can swap the spring yourself.
                        Tutorial: https://sites.google.com/site/tykesp...spring-upgrade
                        Manuals, Roadwing, other stuff
                        PGR
                        PGT MT

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_V View Post

Thanks Jason. The reason I was asking about the size is, between all my gear on my bike and my big-arse, I'm thinking of upgrading to an Eibach 1100lb spring for my Roadwing, but I need to know the size. I've already talked to Eibach and RaceTech and neither has the specifics on hand and it's been so long since I ordered my last one that I'm not certain about the size.
                          If you are buying a spring to install on the Roadwing shock buy one to fit a GL 1800 Goldwing. That would be the spring to properly fit the Roadwing not a Yamaha R* spring. The R* spring will work but it isn't really the proper match.

Comment

Sorry D-Fresh, didn't mean to jack your thread...

I'd prefer to get the spring direct from Eibach. [For the record, RaceTech and Barons springs are both rebranded Eibachs and it's cheaper to buy direct] However, in order to purchase from Eibach, I need to know the inner diameter and length. Like I said, I think it might be 2.25" x 6" but I'm not certain.

I'll keep searching the the GL sites and call progressive on Monday, they may be able to tell me and I'll post what I find here for anyone who's looking in the future.

Comment

No worries Doc,

we’re all here to help each other! Your experience is good to hear and helps others. Keep us updated on your progress.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by JeffAzar, 19 hours ago
                              12 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post highvoltage  
                              Started by CarolinaTexan, 3 days ago
                              12 responses
                              1 like