Tour Pack, No Celina for Me, No Wonder They Buy HDs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour Pack, No Celina for Me, No Wonder They Buy HDs

Busy year, finally tried to get break in ride in but lost the tour pack mount again.

Last time this happened it was right after Celina, did not get to ride the bike again for the rest of the summer.
    (Always ride two up, and sold my sissy bar since I "updated" to a tour pack.)

I did throw $200 at it right away hoping to fix it. Cost is not a big deal to save the summer.
    But then found out I bought a prototype tour pack that would not fit the newer bikes.

At least with other brands you can stop in the store and buy what you need. This riding home with straps hoping the other half doesn't break is getting old.
    I'm heading out of town and can't imagine finding options for the Celina trip with the limited time I have.
    Not to mention trusting a new setup loaded for the Celina. The last two times it broke it was empty.

No matter how large the crowds are at Celina, my wife and I look forward to that trip all year.

Errrr..

Sorry to hear that Mike.

"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer."
    Chris, 2004 Roadstar Silverado

Comment

His don't brake.
      Road Star - Parts & Bikes has 2,348 members. This Page is for anyone to post Road Star Related Parts or Road Star Bikes for sale. Anyone posting spam...

Comment

Heard that about the last ones too.

Thinking Voyager, still like metrics..
      • Bright Blue/Black • 11,820 mls. • Spotless, never been ridden in the rain • Original owner, bought new • All service records • Many accessories including: ◦ GPS ◦ radar detector ◦

Comment

• FDRUCaptain
        FDRUCaptain commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks good.

• roadiemort
        roadiemort commented
        Editing a comment
        Well you heard wrong, they have been breaking for years ( the Aluminum ones ) the other one is only 1/8 stainless what did you expect.

• YZ18
        YZ18 commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the Voyager/Vaquaro too but not crazy about the side opening bags.

OK, free pass on the first time, but they are breaking. :-). My aluminum one broke, and I then bought the “fixed” stainless one. ( after pissing away $200 on “prototype” aluminum one hoping I would not lose the whole riding season.) I know more than one person that jumped off Yamaha for this issue. And I can see the point, a trip you might have planned for a year comes to an end because you can’t just walk in and pay any price to get this fixed and be back on the road. Twice I ended up strapping the thing up hoping I could make it home without the other side breaking. Taking out me or the vehicle behind me. And both times I was solo thankfully, I’m two up 98% of the time. If either time these let loose with my wife leaning on it the story might be different. It’s not like a roadwing not giving you a good ride or 4 gauge cables preventing your bike from starting, but this can be serious.

Comment

This may not help you for Celina, but long term, for someone who has the ability to fabricate the mounts, i.e. access to CAD and a water/plasma jet; with some minor modifications this, cut from stainless, would work just fine for the R*. I actually purchased one, because the mounting points line up with the R*, but the leading edge of the cross plate interfered with the back of the passenger seat; otherwise it fit fine. Stretch it out a few inches to clear the seat and you'd be good to go. You can even buy the latches on eBay. It would actually be *way* easier to make and stronger than any of those other mounts. Just cut it out and make two 90° bends and you're done. And with stainless you could powder coat it, brush it, or polish it. Just something to consider. ...If someone decides to mass produce these I only ask you give me credit for the idea. That and maybe a prototype.

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.4 KB ID:	21001
      Last edited by Doc_V; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestMike View Post
        Busy year, finally tried to get break in ride in but lost the tour pack mount again.

Last time this happened it was right after Celina, did not get to ride the bike again for the rest of the summer.
        (Always ride two up, and sold my sissy bar since I "updated" to a tour pack.)

I did throw $200 at it right away hoping to fix it. Cost is not a big deal to save the summer.
        But then found out I bought a prototype tour pack that would not fit the newer bikes.

At least with other brands you can stop in the store and buy what you need. This riding home with straps hoping the other half doesn't break is getting old.
        I'm heading out of town and can't imagine finding options for the Celina trip with the limited time I have.
        Not to mention trusting a new setup loaded for the Celina. The last two times it broke it was empty.

No matter how large the crowds are at Celina, my wife and I look forward to that trip all year.

Errrr..
        Bought one from Ultrastar a couple years back. Snapped off the exact same way. I got the strap welded back together but , now I 'm not real comfortable loading my box with much. I wonder how to modify this to eliminate the problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by YZ18
          I like the Voyager/Vaquaro too but not crazy about the side opening bags.
          Yeah, I can't believe that idea ever made it off the design table. Really goofy.

Comment

Damn Mike, You are our leader since Warden got too busy. Sure will miss you
            http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/...psd3de724b.jpg

Comment

Sorry to hear your not coming. Im supprised that the mount broke. Mine mostly survived my crash when the bike started to barrel roll. It only tweeked a little bit. Thought those things would never break
              my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

Comment

Second one for me. First the aluminum one, then the "improved" stainless one.
                It's not to hard to find others that have had both break on them.

Haven't had a chance to think about, or get to the bike this year. I have three sleds, all the sled gear and the bike stuffed in small garage. Sold my old sled trailer and having something a little different built. Didn't realize my selections would mean a 10 week lead time. Bike got buried in the back when I unloaded.

Pulled it out to work on the horn mount. First one I made of aluminum broke after a few years. Made one out of stainless last year but did not like the way it vibrated. I was thinking that the vibration could lead to issues, and I wouldn't want that. :-) So I pulled the bike out of the garage to get to that and tour pack let lose on a short lap around the neighborhood.

Someone else is making them again, not sure if the timing will work out for Celina.
                Not to mention how can you trust these things again. If this happens when loaded or with a passenger it's a whole different story on the outcome

This will be the 4th one I bought. If they were a maintenance or wear item that you need to replace every year that would be fine.
                But this not knowing when these things will let lose is going to lead to taking a car rather than the bike more often.

The last aluminum one..

Comment

I think you have the link to the remedy of this problem. Mort says they don't break. Order one. Maybe three days to get it , bolt on your tour pack and ride. Summer saved. Celina , saved. Your wife, saved. Just do it!! Celina isn't until the 21st of June!!

Comment

Originally posted by jinxpress View Post
                    Damn Mike, You are our leader since Warden got too busy. Sure will miss you
                    +1 That's what I was thinking.

This space intentionally left blank

Comment

Got one ordered, I hope the fourth time is the charm.

Celina is out a bit yet, but swamped with work and have a trip to Alaska, Father’s Day event and a trip out of state for a new sled trailer to fit in before then too.

I’m trying... :-)

Thanks

Comment

• jinxpress
                        jinxpress commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I need a couple new name tags.

• Spydr
                        Spydr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Mike, why are you worried about a trailer for a sled at the beginning of the summer?

Just a FYI I have built a few racks over the years myself and seen many others but they all fail in the same area, they sag and don't stay level over time due to the sidearm pocket shape.If you epoxy a block in the blue area even if your bolts loosen your rack won't sag.PS This has nothing to do with the breaking in above posts.

Comment

My mount cracked too. Don't have the pics anymore. What I did was took 2 pieces of inch wide 1/4 flat bar and cut them about 6 inches long and rounded the ends with a grinder. I drilled both ends and attached one end to the back eyebrow bolt and the other to the side of the rack where it lined up using a spacer to make it run straight. Marked the cracks and kept checking them the rest of the trip. Never grew at all and the pak was loaded. I will see if I still have the pics.

Comment

Operator abuse

Comment

Get a HD lol
                            Attached Files
                            2010 HD Electra Glide Classic
                            Harley Davidson, turning gas into heat and noise since 1903

Comment

Mine broke also back in 2016. I had a local guy weld it up. twice as thick now. I TRY to tread lightly here on the RSC. By looking at the new threads it must be tour pack season.

Comment

Hey Mike look what I found.

Comment

• roadiemort
                                  roadiemort commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  This is why you put a small radius in corners of cut parts and smooth said corner so stress cracks don't start as easily. Also welds that are undercut produce this same issue over time. Overloading your box exacerbates the problem.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by pumppy10, 3 minutes ago
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post pumppy10  
                              Started by Lug Nut, 4 hours ago
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post daveto
                              by daveto