Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowered rear end. Length of swingarms? Shock absorber?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lowered rear end. Length of swingarms? Shock absorber?

    Hi guys. I have a '05 RS Midnight. I bought it used and had put some miles on it. Has 50000 miles now. I've noticed it was a bit lower in the rear wich makes it looks cool. But in winding roads I almost allways end scratching the pipes and both sides at the bottom rear frame. Lenght of swingarms instaled is 29.cm (11.30" inches)
    Is the shock absorber done or maybe the previous owner lowered on purpose?

    Thank you.

  • #2
    So I can almost see in that last picture what is going on, but not quite. The highlighted part #10 is what it should look like, if it looks like a rod with hyme joints on both ends then it is a lowering kit. Also, check the mount at the forward end of the shock, make sure it's not cracked. If it is it can be welded, but it probably has a lowering kit on it.
    It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you MikeyC!

      It looks like the part #10 is installed. And nothing seems broken or loose. I have a spare rear shock abrorber, it's used but does not look bad.
      I'm thinking of trying it. You think it could help to find out if there's a lowering kit installed?

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm thinking on putting it on a jack and see if the rear swingarm alines.

        Comment


        • #5
          Swingarm angle looks lowered to me. Before you do anything, make sure the shock preload is adjusted to its max. I wouldn’t wast time on installing another stock shock. Get a Roadwing from Smokescreens which is a modified Goldwing shock with a stiffer spring and stronger shock.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you Shores.
            I'll set preload and see what happens. It's almost all the way open.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jluisochoa View Post
              Thank you Shores.
              I'll set preload and see what happens. It's almost all the way open.
              That looks maxed to me. Don’t move it the other way. I removed my lowering bones and put the stock ones back in cuz I was tired of scraping my duals and frame. I’m sure you can find some stock bones here from a member. Don’t go buy them.

              Comment


              • J89k
                J89k commented
                Editing a comment
                You talking about the barons kit? Is it always lower than stock or is it adjustable?

                Have the roadwing on my to do list and I was thinking I'd get the baron's bones to avoid grinding the stock bones.

            • #8
              Thanks Shores. I'll do that. Found out in a video that it seems the OEM arms are silver. Looks like my bike have the Barons lowering kit installed.

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Shores View Post

                That looks maxed to me. Don’t move it the other way. I removed my lowering bones and put the stock ones back in cuz I was tired of scraping my duals and frame. I’m sure you can find some stock bones here from a member. Don’t go buy them.
                Is just the arms that must be changed or there's any more parts?

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by jluisochoa View Post

                  Is just the arms that must be changed or there's any more parts?
                  Yes, just the arms. Shorter ones raise, longer ones lower.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by jluisochoa View Post
                    Thanks Shores. I'll do that. Found out in a video that it seems the OEM arms are silver. Looks like my bike have the Barons lowering kit installed.
                    My 2008s were black.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by Shores View Post

                      Yes, just the arms. Shorter ones raise, longer ones lower.
                      Thanks! I'll ask here and Facebook for the OEM bones.

                      Thank you very much guys.
                      Greetings.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Any chance the relay arm has had the "flip and grind"? Part #9 in the parts diagram. That was a free way to lower the Road Star.

                        Comment


                        • Brad_G
                          Brad_G commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's a fine looking machine RPHazen in your sig. Is that a 'liner wheel on the front?

                        • RPHazen
                          RPHazen commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks, yes Roadliner/Stratoliner S (polished version)

                      • #14
                        Originally posted by RPHazen View Post
                        Any chance the relay arm has had the "flip and grind"? Part #9 in the parts diagram. That was a free way to lower the Road Star.
                        Wow! Never heard of that. I'll check if it's flipped. Hope it is and that would be a very easy job.
                        Thank you very much RPHazen!

                        Comment


                        • Father Pobasturd
                          Father Pobasturd commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If it is flipped you can just flip it back and that should solve the problem.

                      • #15
                        Originally posted by RPHazen View Post
                        Any chance the relay arm has had the "flip and grind"? Part #9 in the parts diagram. That was a free way to lower the Road Star.
                        Yes, a common mod on Roadstars and V-Stars.

                        Comment


                        • #16
                          Originally posted by J89k View Post
                          You talking about the barons kit? Is it always lower than stock or is it adjustable?

                          Have the roadwing on my to do list and I was thinking I'd get the baron's bones to avoid grinding the stock bones.
                          My OEM were black. I purchased the lower non adjustable bones from Pacific Coast, but took them off. DK who makes the adjustable ones.

                          Comment


                          • #17
                            Good thing to get more eyes in there, you took some good pictures there. I thought the dog bones looked stock to me, Just can't really tell it the relay arm has been flipped, the curved surface of the relay arm should face rearward.
                            It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

                            Comment


                            • MikeyC
                              MikeyC commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm thinking in the pictures that the relay arm looks flipped.

                          • #18
                            Originally posted by MikeyC View Post
                            Good thing to get more eyes in there, you took some good pictures there. I thought the dog bones looked stock to me, Just can't really tell it the relay arm has been flipped, the curved surface of the relay arm should face rearward.
                            Thank you MikeyC! I'll take some more pics tomorrow. Great help from everybody.

                            Comment


                            • #19
                              GM guys.
                              That's the relay arm on the bike. The diagram can't really tell if it's flipped. What do you think?

                              Comment


                              • #20
                                MikeyC Looks like you told. That lower curved surface of the relay is facing front not rearwards.
                                RPHazen Shores Father Pobasturd We're close to solve the mistery. Thanks men.

                                Comment

                                Latest Posts

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Pauli466, 1 hour ago
                                5 responses
                                19 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Tropicalrs  
                                Started by Tsilk87, 1 hour ago
                                1 response
                                8 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post roadiemort  
                                Started by McVinny614, 1 day ago
                                4 responses
                                78 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Blackcloud12  
                                Started by Doc_V, 1 day ago
                                9 responses
                                161 views
                                4 likes
                                Last Post Tykes_Place  
                                Started by Lug Nut, 1 day ago
                                15 responses
                                309 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post DEEPHATE  
                                Started by Shores, 3 days ago
                                29 responses
                                215 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Shores
                                by Shores
                                 
                                Started by MrG, 18 hours ago
                                24 responses
                                106 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Brad_G
                                by Brad_G
                                 
                                Started by Pauli466, 20 hours ago
                                6 responses
                                86 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post roadiemort  
                                Started by Shores, 17 hours ago
                                2 responses
                                55 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Father Pobasturd  
                                Started by Blackcloud12, 07-27-2020, 10:42 PM
                                46 responses
                                571 views
                                2 likes
                                Last Post Blackcloud12  
                                Started by Oldsguy1, 2 days ago
                                13 responses
                                133 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Pauli466  
                                Started by Lug Nut, 07-22-2020, 05:21 PM
                                20 responses
                                226 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Pauli466  
                                Started by roadiemort, 4 weeks ago
                                143 responses
                                733 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post LDofDC
                                by LDofDC
                                 
                                Started by Horsehammerr, 2 days ago
                                21 responses
                                161 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Jclevesque  
                                Started by scotcher65, 1 day ago
                                5 responses
                                103 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Flashback  
                                Started by roadiemort, 06-16-2020, 10:30 AM
                                48 responses
                                764 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post roadiemort  
                                Started by Brabbit, 3 weeks ago
                                10 responses
                                162 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post scotcher65  
                                Started by marcus, 1 day ago
                                3 responses
                                52 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Bikerron  
                                Started by Galcanised, 1 day ago
                                15 responses
                                124 views
                                4 likes
                                Last Post MrG
                                by MrG
                                 
                                Started by Father Pobasturd, 2 weeks ago
                                19 responses
                                247 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Chooch
                                by Chooch
                                 
                                Working...
                                X