Switching from spoke wheels to cast on an '03 Road Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from spoke wheels to cast on an '03 Road Star

Tired of dealing with the hassle of spoke wheels and tubes, wanting to switch over to stock cast wheels on my '03.
    Needing info on this, I've heard that the front wheel swap is a direct replacement, no other parts needed, for the rear through. I've read that you have to change the spacers because the cast wheels use a different size axle seal.
    Is this info correct and is there anything else needed to make the swap ? I'll be looking at stock cast wheels from '04 up, any extra info would be appreciated !.....

Yup, I've done it... '09 wheels on my '01. Front's a direct bolt-on, and the rear requires the correct spacers for the cast wheel, as they are not the same as for the wire.

Comment

Take the spacers and bearing out of the sproke wheel (good time to install new bearings) and install them into the cast wheel and everything will work. If you just use the cast wheel spacers the rear pulley assembly won't fit/seat correctly. easy swap.

Comment

• 6175biker
        6175biker commented
        Editing a comment
        So if I put bearings and seals ( and spacer ) for spoke wheels into the cast wheels, everything will fit OK including the belt pulley for the spoke wheels ?

• davej
        davej commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes everything will fit just perfect. The difference is the needle bearing on the mag needs to be replaced with the double roller bearings from the spoke wheel and when you do that you need to also use the spacers from the spoke wheels. when you set them next to each other you will see what I'm talking about. I've made this swap on 4 bikes. The front wheel is a direct swap.

I think, because it was back in '12, I actually used ALL the wire spoke stuff, as I only bought the cast wheels, but I cut down one of the wire wheel spacers to get the correct fitment. Must have worked, I'm still running those wheels today!

And, you're exactly right about the rear pulley fit/seat matter. I remember now... They differ slightly, but I simply forced it. It was tight is all... But the cushioning is totally unnecessary in any case, as aftermarket custom wheels, such as I have on another R* uses a direct pulley bolt-up, with NO cushioning whatsoever, and so long as you actually know how to shift... both are just as smooth.

So, in hindsight, I forced the pulley and cushioning of a spoke wheel into the cast wheel, and then cut one spoke wheel spacer down to affect a proper fitment into the swingarm. To do so, I had another R* present to get proper measurements from off of... as I had a Vermeer's to precisely measure with.

Comment

Thanks for the info so far, I'm just tired of having to deal with tubes. I've had the rear tire go down 3 times while out on a ride and each time was a major hassle. This last weekend made finalized the decision to make the swap, my wife and I were on a anniversary ride in the Boston Mountains of Arkansas, and we decided to go to a swimming hole we'd heard of. We went, the place was awesome and we had a great time. Got ready to leave, wife says I think the back tire is down and it was, flat. So now what ?, no cell service, we're about 40 miles from our hotel. I had the stock tool kit, a patch kit in my emergency box, a tire iron, and a automotive scissor jack that I had modified and stored in one of the saddle bags, but no way to air the tire back up. My wife went and talked to other campers and came back with a neat little 12v compressor that some college guys let her borrow. I jacked the bike up while she straddled it and kept it steady. Another lady that was there to swim with her daughter's came by, ( she also rode a Road Star ) and helped my wife keep the bike steady while I R&R'd the rear wheel, broke the tire down , and patched the tube. Three guys riding dual-sports helped me get the wheel back in place. Aired the tire up, put the saddle bags and belt guard back on, and finally got out of there. I can't thank the lady and those 3 guys enough, it was hot and I was about to give out. Told the wife that I see cast wheels in my future, I've had enough of inner tubes.....

Comment

P.S. nothing was in the tube OR the tire, the tube, which I put in new several months ago, had a perfectly round spot about the size of a nickel. It almost looked like a patch but it wasn't. It was like the manufacturer was going to put the valve stem off to the side but didn't, the stem is in the center. There was a tiny split at the edge of the round spot and the rubber there was paper thin, the tube was good shape otherwise. I don't think it should have passed inspection before being shipped out for sale, but evidently it did.

Comment

Chinese made by chance? Nearly everything else has been.

Comment

Could be, not sure what brand is on the tube or if it was even marked...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by roadiemort, 2 hours ago
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post roadiemort  
              Started by ItBeMe, 6 days ago
              14 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Bikerron