Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Tube Removal

2004 Roadstar Silverado 1700

How do I access the lower steering tree pinch bolts so that the fork tubes can be removed. Upper brushed shrouds are still installed. Do I need to take the upper steering tree off to remove the aluminum shrouds?
    I am replacing the oil seals, dust seals, slider bushings and plan on using 10W fork oil during my fork rebuild.

(Just did this to my Goldwing and thought I would do the same to the roadstar…. also...how much fork oil in CC's or ounces is required ..my service manual shows 16.1 quarts but the manual also shows a blinker/pinch bolt for the lower mount on the fork and not a brushed aluminum shroud.... I have stock springs, spacers, etc.)
    My service manual for the Silverado is …..(xv1700pcrc.PDF...came from manualslib.com)

You have to remove the upper tree and tins. 16 quarts? Think again! The tins are stainless steel, not aluminum.

Comment

THANK YOU Shores....
      Fork Tubes removed and disassembly began.... oddly enough the manual I have does list it at 16.1 US qt (refer to attached photo) but I know that it is 16.1 Ounces.... I was a little quick in my post....

Yes the "Tins" are Stainless Steel but I referred to them as Brushed Aluminum.... my bad..... just referring to the finish not the type of metal... wrong choice of words.... sometimes I am guilty of "Brain Farts" when trying to describe my issue visually…. I am usually talking with nontechnical clients from work.....

The Roadstar Fork tubes showed no evidence of seal leakage with 52K miles but the fork oil was quite dark compared to new fork oil..... I have put 46K on the bike since I bought it and this is the first fork service the bike has experienced. I sincerely doubt the original owner did anything before my purchase. I believe factory specification original fork oil was 5W but I have decided to use 10W on my change.... Still going to use the original springs since I do not mind the "softness" of the shock. The 10W should put me right where I want it.

Once again.... THANK YOU Shores...….

Comment

Ha! That's hilarious. Just goes to show, even factory service guide can be wrong. BTW, I'm about to do the same job this weekend when I install my RaceTech Gold Emulators, about how long did it take?
        Last edited by Doc_V; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_V View Post
          Ha! That's hilarious. Just goes to show, even factory service guide can be wrong. BTW, I'm about to do the same job this weekend when I install my RaceTech Gold Emulators, about how long did it take?
          Ooh, just like when Bertha got a butt lift I’m watching your fork upgrade with baited breath, want to do the same with mine soon...

2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

Do you plan on documenting with a write up & pics?
            2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

Originally posted by D-Fresh View Post

Do you plan on documenting with a write up & pics?
              I wasn't planning on it, but I'll try to remember..Maybe not the disassembly, but the details... Don't hold me to that though. We'll see.

Comment

rebuilt forks.... upper slide bushings showed signs of wear with copper color exposed around entire bushing... lower slide bushing had copper color around about half... (kinda like a wear indicator)
                I had to get pretty inventive with 1 1/2 inch electrical PVC coupling with the outside diameter ground down to fit as an "OIL SEAL" driver tool. Short piece of 2 inch pvc to extend above fork tube and a rubber mallot to set the seal home below clip groove. Spent more time building the tool then reassembling the fork....

Since I have lights wired under the front fender, upper triple tree, and other assorted places.... my removal of the upper tree plate was a bit more involved. Easier for me to remove the headlight bucket and pivot the handlebar and upper tree assembly over the front of the bike with towels and foam to protect painted surfaces.

I had to remove the fork tube caps and springs to remove the upper tree/ handlebar assembly and slide the tubes out of the lower triple tree. Everything else was pretty straight forward.

At the moment... 1 hour to jack bike up, remove tire, fender, calipers, and cable guides to allow room.
                1/2 hour to remove headlight, headlight bucket...
                3/4 hour scratching my head asking about tin removal for pinch bolt access
                1 1/2 hour to remove the upper tree, tins, forks, disassemble fork tubes, clean and replace slide bushings, oil seals, and dust seals, create seal driver tool
                1/4 hour to align/install the fork tubes and set upper tree/handlebars back on.... (still need to tighten upper pinch bolts and center cap).

currently taking a break and eating some dinner..... estimate about 2 hours to finish with fork oil fill, headlight bucket and bulb installation, tire, fender, and caliper installation, and tighten everything to proper torque specs..... now that I have done it once.... probably take about 4 to 5 hours total in the future....

I will probably have about 6 hours total time for my first time experience with the roadstar……… (My Goldwing isn't nearly as involved and takes about 3.5 hours from start to finish)

Comment

• D-Fresh
                  D-Fresh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the info.

I am assuming that you previously installed the Racetech springs? So now you have to drill holes in the damper tubes for the emulators? If you already removed the forks once, if so, I'd be willing to guess that you are looking at 3 hours max including drilling the dampers. I am guessing the on time because I usually measure jobs by how many beers I consume.

Comment

Bike now re-assembled. I put a front rim and tire that came off of a parted out 2001 roadstar 1600. I kinda like the “chrome baby moons” on the hub.

I actually bought both front and back rims, tires, spacers, back sprocket/ spacers/ bushings/ complete assembly, front and back rotors, front calipers, rear caliper, and entire rear brake pedal, master cylinder, hose assembly from the 2001 roadstar.

He had just bought the tires before the motor broke so they were basically brand new dunlops.... not my favorite tire but could not believe the price with all the other goodies. Now i can just swap rims out and keep a set ready to go with new metzler tires when needed. (Local shop has to order those since they just stock Dunlops... grumble, grumble, gripe)

I have never needed to replace major parts in the 12+ years i have owned my roadstar but since they “obsoleted” the bike, it doesnt hurt to have spare parts.... i plan on keeping the bike until i can no longer ride.

The clutch is just beginning to slip when i “dog” it so i have a barnett pressure plate in stock when i feel the need to address the issue.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Yaman, 07-08-2018, 03:44 PM
                  25 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NCB
                  by NCB

Started by grubsie, 1 day ago
                  5 responses
                  0 likes