Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikerron
    replied
    Why isn’t this thread stickied to the top?

Leave a comment:

• Tropicalrs
    replied
    Engine is soft aluminum. Do not over tighten bolts. When you do, Helicoils are your friend.

Leave a comment:

• Shores
    replied
    So this thread is easy to read, please add just tech tips here for carbonated Roadstars. Don’t add non technical comments.

Leave a comment:

• roadiemort
    commented on 's reply
    Trying to check the oil brings back some memories for sure, had to drain mine and start over lol.

• Father Pobasturd
    replied
    I think some good info for the FNG's would be Seat removal techniques and tricks. and speedometer / fuel gauge inoperable. These are issues that come up on almost every bike. Also, how NOT to check the oil and how to Not check the oil. We always have some ex-MoCo guys coming over who are used to adding oil all the time. I know when I first got my bike home I wanted to check the oil and I couldn't get the damned seat off. That's how I ended up finding the RSC in the first place. When I finally got the seat off there was no oil on the stick, so, naturally, I overfilled it. One other thing I thought of would be the subject of clutch slippage. Us old-time RSC residents know it's usually the wrong oil or the clutch spring that causes slippage. How many people on here have bought new clutches only to discover they could have just replaced the spring and gone on? If we can save just 1 guy from this, it would be well worth it. My clutch slipped for the first time just the other day, but I was really hammering it down an on-ramp and when I hit 5th, it just slipped a little. 58K miles, but I'm pretty sure a new spring will cure it. Anyway, that's my suggestions for his thread, for what it's worth.

Leave a comment:

• RAM
    replied
    Nice article. Thanks for welcome. Yes i think bike should be reliable but, as stated still will end up emptying the wallet.

Leave a comment:

• dustybin
    replied
    ty very much , much appreciated

Leave a comment:

• bmont69
    replied
    Great info and definitely valuable! I appreciate posting the link!

Leave a comment:

• Txulrich
    commented on 's reply
    Mobil 1 V-Twin is fine. The regular Mobil 1 is probably not.

• D-Fresh
    replied
    I thought i read in another thread that the Mobile 1 in the 10w-40 weight did not have the proper level of zddp, is that correct?

Leave a comment:

• Roadstarrider
    replied
    New to owning a Road Star (have a '99), this article was full of good information that I wouldn't get from just my usual just buying a Clymer manual when I get a new bike. Will be calling the local Yamaha dealership to check out the recall. (I'm guessing this will be a good winter service to get done!) Also, will be checking the transfer case oil and replacing all the fluids after the last owner. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Zman
    replied
    Great job Shores!

Leave a comment:

• ryanjam
    replied
    Thanks Carpetbagger , good tip, was getting ready to remove the triple tree, will give it a try.Found a Clymer manual at their corporate site for $39.95. should suit me just fine!

Leave a comment:

• Carpetbagger
    commented on 's reply
    There's some on eBay for 40 bucks or so. My 08 came with only 9k miles, and the steering head was pretty loose. I was able to just drop the tree enough to access the lower bearings. I greased the crap out of both bearings, torqued the bearings, (then again a few hundred miles later), Worked great. I read somewhere on the old forum that this is not uncommon on older, low mileage bikes.

• ryanjam
    replied
    Great article, any recommendation on a print version of a shop manual for a 2006 road star midnight? need info for lube or replacement o steering head bearings. getting sticky to the left 12000miles thanks for any help

Leave a comment:

• Mark_N
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you for putting this together, tremendously helpful.

• SKWEARpeg
    replied
    Yes. I think it’s called champagne. It’s a stock Yamaha color. Bubba was trying to get me to find some pics from the build.
    Primarily, it involved stock bearings and races, and bushing the inside of the stock bearings. The HD Stem is 1” diameter, and about 7/16 ” shorter then the Yamaha Stem. Watch the Forum for a brief repost of the old build thread.

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    I think I saw your bike the gold one?
    Just wondering what kind of modifications you had to do to make it work as far as the stem
    I saw all your posts on the old forum but photobucket wont let me see any of the pictures

Leave a comment:

• SKWEARpeg
    replied
    Originally posted by Overkill jones View Post

Did you put a springer front end on your bike?
    Yes. I used a Springer from a 97 FXSTSBB
    I’ll have to get a pic up. I was using it as a sig pic on the old Forum.

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by SKWEARpeg View Post
    The Roadwing upgrade was/is really popular on the Forum. It makes a world of difference in how the bike handles. .
    Did you put a springer front end on your bike?

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by rox, 8 hours ago
5 responses
0 likes
Last Post davej
by davej

Started by Ironman, 2 days ago
4 responses
0 likes