Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW AMSOIL PRODUCT AT NAPA 20-50W high zinc formula motorcycle compatible.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shores View Post
    I suspect it’s just a repackaging of the current V-Twin 20-50. What indicates it is wet clutch compatible?
    I would not be surprised if your right on the money thinking its re-pkg'd with new label,but you never know,maybe they did tweak
    that oils formula to include more zddp protection.

When they tested Amsoil v-twin syn oil a few yrs back it had a good solid 1500ppm zddp(Zinc & Phos) lvl in it with no friction mods and was jaso rated too.

M! v-twin showed approx 1700ppm zddp when tested @ the same tim as the M1 was.

M1 20w-50 syn for v-twins used to state it was jaso certified on the container but was removed some yrs ago,why is a good question.

M1 still advertises it's engineered/formuulated for wet clutch apps and i have used it for yrs in wet clutch apps with no issues on my R*'s,frend uses that oil in his 05 R* since he got the bike new and the weak stock original oem clutch spring lasted till approx 45-50k miles before clutch just started to slip.

Then i sold him a Yamaha star hi perf clutch spring with 20-25% additional clamping force that he installed while retaining all the original stock oem fiber clutch plates,spacer plates and release bearing too (i'd change it if it were my bike) & the clutch is still working just fine with no slippage with now over 70k miles on the bike still running the M! v-twin 20w-50 syn oil.

The M1 v-twin oil go's on sale at autozone & advanced auto a couple times for only $8.99qt vs reg price $10.99.

And remember,some yrs back when oil testing was done on approx 17-18 motorcycle specific oils with Amsoil coming in 1st place and M1 V-Twin coming in a close 2nd place so you can't go wrong using either oil.

I tried the amsoil in my R* & HD too and went back to the M1 v-twin (at times i also use Spectro semi syn or full syn 20-50 bike oil) because the motors on both bikes ran a bit quieter,HD held bit better oil pressure when hot & trans seems to shift a bit better/smoother with the M1,same went for the Spectro vs Amsoil in my 2 bikes.

Bottom line was there wasn't a significant diff between the amsoil & the M! & Spectro bikes oils,but like i stated above there was a suttle diff that maybe not everyone would notice or pick up it like i did having almost 50yrs 1st hand experience wrenching bikes & cars under my belt giving me the experience to do so.

Happy motoring!

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Duke View Post
      Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1858.JPG Views:	1 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	46243Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1851.JPG Views:	1 Size:	153.8 KB ID:	46244

I've been using a this blend for over 4 years now and has been working for me.
      Good to know about Amsoil.
      FYI,i tested valvolines VR1 oil & it had approx 1500ppm zddp.which is good for R* FT cams/lifters,BUT,i would not be surprised at all if the VR1 your using/mixing has friction mods in it that are not good for wet clutch apps.

No disrespect intended but with all the proper motorcycle specific oils avail on the market these days why are you still mixing oils?

Today there is no good reason to mix oils like your doing & in fact mixing 2 diff oils will more then likely reduce the effectiveness of both oils additive pkg's which is never a good thing not to mention wasting time doing it when there is no good reason or benefit to doing it.

Will mixing the oil cause your bike to blow up!

Absolutely not!

Is mixing the oils the right thing to do with all the proper motorcycle specific oils avail on the market these days?

No.

Happy Motoring!

Scott

Comment

• Duke
        Duke commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree Scott, and know what your saying. When I used this mixture 4 years ago, I did notice smother gear changing, less engine noise, and plus 5# of oil pressure when hot, so I've stuck with what has worked in my 2 RS. So far, I haven't had any clutch slipping yet. Last time I checked the cams and lifters in both bikes they showed no wear and in great shape.
        I use to use M1 before I switched to the blend and I do feel M1 and Amsoil are some of the best oils for our bikes. Although I wouldn't rule out Lucas oil.

Just thinking about how many oils threads, not to mention opinions there are on the web with all the forums out there motors motors and tranny's. It has to be staggering.

Thinking about trying "LubeForLife" oil .and filters It's expensive up front at about $300.00 a quart. But, put it in your engine along with the filter and you will never have to change either ever again.
      I saw it a Wally World on the shelf right next to "WearForever" tires. These 2 items have the potential to dry up oil/tire threads for good.

Comment

Here's what I found with Lucas oils.
        https://lucasoil.com/pdf/Zinc_Values_MotorcycleOil.pdf

Comment

Thanks Duke. These look like Amsoil's regular MC oils due to their low zinc PPM count. Personally, I wouldn't use any from that list below, on my R*. Minimum zinc PPM should be in the 1400 range. I'd go with the one Brianmac first posted above if you wanted to stick with Amsoil.

To follow on Grubsie's post, he makes a good point. We've had countless threads, and even some heated discussions, on the old site regarding oil [and tires]. And yes, the internet is littered oil discussions, but there are a lot of new members here and this is useful information. Especially when there's a new product on the market.

FWIW, I'm sure there are plenty of non-MC or low zinc oils out there, that if someone didn't know any better, would swear works great for their R*. There might even be some that are quieter, or smoother... Initially... But they're likely experiencing unknown internal wear that may not show itself for some time. But the life of that motor will be significantly shortened. If they don't ride a lot, or ride very hard, or keep their R* long, it may never rear it's ugly head... For them... But someone, someday, will find out the hard way.

For example, I recently discovered the rocker arm shafts on my 32k mile R* were worn. So much so I could feel the grooves on them. Was it due to the previous owner using wrong oil, or setting the idle too low? Or both? I'll never know for certain, but either way, it's an easy enough thing to prevent that we might as well use precaution... And don't anyone fool themselves into thinking, "Well I change the oil every 2,000 miles, so I can use any old oil". Cuz that couldn't be farther from the truth,

Personally, I don't get hung up on brands, ***as long as they meet the spec***. Best rule of thumb: don't cheap out or cut corners when it comes to oil in your R*. Make sure it's a motorcycle specific oil, designed for a *wet clutch* and has at least 1400 PPM of zinc.

From Duke's posted list of Amsoil products. The number on the right is zinc PPM [or Parts Per Million]
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 10.54.23 AM.png Views:	1 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	46587
          Amsoil does have other oils on that list, with much higher zinc levels, but they would have issues if used on a wet clutch. Not only clutch slippage, but there's also the potential for prematurely breaking down the oil due to the friction and heat generated by the clutch. Again, best to use the right spec oil for the job.
          Last edited by Doc_V; 3 days ago.

Comment

• Duke
            Duke commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with what you and Scott are saying. Very good points.
            I think we all agree, that OIL IS THE LIFE BLOOD OF OUR ENGINES, no doubt about it.

Okay I've got totally confused after reading all of this. I used to use Mobil 1 20 50 V-Twin then I went to amsoil 2050 V-Twin are those two still okay to use and do they have the proper zinc levels. Or has something changed?

Comment

• Doc_V
            Doc_V commented
            Editing a comment
            Both are good.. Just stick with a 20w50 *V-twin* oil and you're fine.

Originally posted by NCB View Post
          Okay I've got totally confused after reading all of this. I used to use Mobil 1 20 50 V-Twin then I went to amsoil 2050 V-Twin are those two still okay to use and do they have the proper zinc levels. Or has something changed?
          Yes, both are great to use.

“The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by brianmac, 3 days ago
          3 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Spydr
          by Spydr

Started by D-Fresh, 4 days ago