This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive belt front pulley? 2007, 1700 roadstar

I HAVE A 2007, 1700, YAMAHA, ROADSTAR, AND I PUT A SIDECAR ON IT. MY WIFE LOVES IT. SHE LOVES SIDE ROADS AND BACK COUNTRY ROADS WHICH KEEP ME UNDER 50 MPH MOSTLY. UP AND DOWN HILL AND DALE. :-)
    SOME ONE TOLD ME TO CONSIDER A LESSER TOOTH DRIVE SPROCKET?? WHAT IS THE NUMBER OF TEETH ON MY STOCK SPROCKET? AND, WHAT SHOULD i REPLACE IT WITH IF THIS IS A GOOD IDEA?
    THANK YOU FOR ANY INPUT YOU MAY HAVE! THIS LIST IS REALLY GREAT!

07 stock is 32 tooth I believe so you could go to a 31 tooth. Give you a little more off the line but higher RPM at speed.

Comment

• Duke
      Duke commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry mort, I was writing my comment up and posted. You beat me to the punch.

Your 2007 has a 32 tooth front pulley if it's stock. You could go with a 30 or 31 tooth pulley no problem.

Comment

• roadiemort
      roadiemort commented
      Editing a comment
      The more the merrier.

Wind the bike up higher in gear. If you’re running 50 in 4th, downshift if you need to go faster. I’m usually shifting out of 4th, when I get to about 70.
    The power is there, just use the rpms to your advantage.

Comment

• roadiemort
      roadiemort commented
      Editing a comment
      So many that own these bikes never work the motor hard enough to keep it happy, lugging is not what Yamaha intended for a happy motor.

• 129drifter
      129drifter commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a great photo of the side hack rig

• SKWEARpeg
      SKWEARpeg commented
      Editing a comment
      Only looks that good because of your help, Tom.

:^)

Just a heads up, if you go with the 31 tooth pulley, make sure its steel and not aluminum. The aluminum ones are rarer now, but they would wear out and cut the belt over time. Changing pulleys will also mess with your speedo showing a higher indicated speed and the amount increases as you go faster; however, you can buy a SpeedHealer to correct it if it bothers you too much.

Comment

4th is good for 50 mph. I've run my '99 down to 35 in 4th without any problem - on level ground. I'm usually in 5th by 55 but then my speedo is accurate. I don't see why the stock pulley would have any problem with a sidecar. If your speedo is off like most of them then you're actually going slower than 50. Correct the speedo first and I think you'll see a difference.
      Scott B.

Comment

• SKWEARpeg
        SKWEARpeg commented
        Editing a comment
        The Sidecar and a passenger, can easily add close to #400 lbs to the gvwr of the whole shebang.
        Where I notice it most, is shifting into 4th to soon, or shifting into 5th if I’m not already up to speed on the highway.

• texasscott1
        texasscott1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I rode so many years with the original speedo that I could tell my speed by the sound of the engine. A few years back I replaced it with one from a 1700 and immediately noticed something. When it felt like I was doing 30 I would look down and the speedo would be a couple of mph slower - even worse at 70. I took the GPS with me and at 70 the speedo and the GPS were reading the same speed. Correcting the speedo will result in more revs at the same indicated speed. It made a little difference in fuel mileage also because the odometer was accumulating miles at a slower rate and the engine was turning over faster.

• SKWEARpeg
        SKWEARpeg commented
        Editing a comment
        I think shifting by ear is what most people go by, and why they don’t push the Roadies into the higher rpms. 1st and second being geared low enough so it gets the rider started shifting a bit early, probably adds to it.

When you slap that sidecar on there fuel mileage goes right down the shitter. Fortunately J&P Cycle offers 6 gallon tanks for the Fatboy.

[CENTER]
      Last edited by Father Pobasturd; 07-09-2018, 06:41 PM. Reason: sookie sookie sue

Comment

• SKWEARpeg
        SKWEARpeg commented
        Editing a comment
        It pushed mine pretty close to 30. It did just a little better then my Miata. Lol

• eardog2
        eardog2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Love those pipes! That's class...

Originally posted by eardog2 View Post
      I HAVE A 2007, 1700, YAMAHA, ROADSTAR, AND I PUT A SIDECAR ON IT. MY WIFE LOVES IT. SHE LOVES SIDE ROADS AND BACK COUNTRY ROADS WHICH KEEP ME UNDER 50 MPH MOSTLY. UP AND DOWN HILL AND DALE. :-)
      SOME ONE TOLD ME TO CONSIDER A LESSER TOOTH DRIVE SPROCKET?? WHAT IS THE NUMBER OF TEETH ON MY STOCK SPROCKET? AND, WHAT SHOULD i REPLACE IT WITH IF THIS IS A GOOD IDEA?
      THANK YOU FOR ANY INPUT YOU MAY HAVE! THIS LIST IS REALLY GREAT!
      We want pics of your rig.

Comment

• SKWEARpeg
        SKWEARpeg commented
        Editing a comment
        What he said, and I make it a hard fast rule to not agree with him about anything to avoid damage to my “classy guy” and “southern grey haired nazi” reputation

• eardog2
        eardog2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Pics posted .... Thanks :-)

My exp w 32t AL drive pulley on the 06 Rd star I used to own.

I put 25k on that Al pulley and when I checked it the teeth looked almost new with little to no wear or sharpening of teeth and belt looked fine

​​​​​ I am a conservative rider not hammering the bike that much but do ride 2up majority of the time w bags loaded too which loads pulley/drivetrain a bit more too.

So since i saw little to no wear on the Al pulley at 25k miles then I am confident I could have easily gone 2x-,3x more miles before " maybe " seeing enough wear to negate replacing the pulley at ,50-75k miles which isn't that bad or much of a big deal imho.

This is somewhat like the elec f pump thing too where couple people have issues with the elec f pumps and they are all ng which isn't the case.

I know of an 05 Rd star w 80k miles and an 07 w 100k miles both still running original stock elec f pumps still working just fine being now 11 & 13yrs old too.

The f pump on the 06 I used to own was working fine at 25k miles/9yrs old when I sold it.

I think non use low mile bikes that also didn't have fuel properly treated & stabilized going stale gumming up pump is a significant factor in elec f pumps failing prematurely on carb'd Rd stars.

Scott

Comment

• TwinCreeks1600
        TwinCreeks1600 commented
        Editing a comment
        My 03 still has the factory fuel pump, my bike was built in july of 02, so it is really 16 years old with 39,150 miles on the clock. No issues yet. I treat my fuel religiously.

Comment

What’s the weight of just the car?
        Nice looking rig, by the way.

Comment

Put the 31T on the drive belt pulley....(was a 32T) Huge difference.... Very positive all the way around.... Recommend it to everyone riding a 1700 Roadstar!
          100-110 RPM difference in engine RPMs- Just better performance all around-

Comment

I have 2 '01's, both of which I switched over to 31 tooth steel pulleys, and I really like the difference. I also put the Speedo-Healer on each one, too. And the instructions made both speedos dead-accurate. With a side-car, and even though you are already running a 32 tooth pulley, I'd still go the 31 tooth route, as it is in the very direction you're wanting to take it.

Comment

Boy, I wonder how the road stars would perform with 3 people, luggage, etc? That could very easily put well over 600 lbs on the rig with a sidecar. I wonder has anyone done this and what was the handling and performance like?
              Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Well, I would say that it would, at the least, be adequate. The 1700 has more than the 1600, and both are torque-monsters that pull like a locomotive! I owned and drove small Japanese cars in the '70's and '80's, and my guess would be it would sort of be like that experience... they had 'adequate' power then... but, not enough to impress at all.

Comment

I also have the 30T belt pulley and it's steel and hanging on the garage wall. We put it on a 'suped up' Stryker tuned and all that goes with it. A real sleeper to those wanting to show off. Don't.
                  Rode it from NY to Georgia and back. Outside of a little extra gas it just ran perfect. Got back and put the 31T back on it for future cruiser rides. Got the 1000 cc 'crotcher' for that rocket feeling. (short rides only!)
                  But, if wanting to load the sidecar up and much weight - I'd put the 30T on it for the trip and then go back to the 31T afterward. :-).

Comment

Eardog! Where'd you get a 30 tooth front pulley? I hadn't heard of one before your post. Is it steel? I'd like to put one on my 1700 bobber! I suppose I'd need to go to about a 128 tooth belt, also....

Comment

• Duke
                      Duke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Your 130 tooth belt will work, it just puts the adjusters more to the back. I ran the 30 tooth pulley and stock belt, after adjustment, I had approximately 1/4" to the end of adjustments.

• Questcap
                      Questcap commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That won't work for me, as I don't run bags on my bobber... the tire would be no where near 'centered' within the radius of the fender. I'd need to shorten the belt if I went with a 30 tooth, just so it would 'look' right.

• eardog2
                      eardog2 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My son got it for me... it's steel and actually heavier and better built than the stock 32T.... fits perfectly... Now have three drive sprockets
                      two on the shelf (30T,32T) and the 31T on the bike... one tooth makes a big difference for sure!

noting what I've learned from changing drive sprockets and putting miles on them.... I'd surely recommend lowering the drive sprocket one tooth from stock on two up riding... big improvement on 'git go' from the start ...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
                    2,527 responses
                    3 likes
                    Last Post roadiemort  
                    Started by Father Pobasturd, 18 hours ago
                    15 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post AR. Hillbilly