Crappy fuel mileage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy fuel mileage

I have a 2000 1600. The PO installed a BAK, V&H Longshots and the carb was jetted. I haven't changed anything in the carb but I am getting consistently lower fuel mileage. In the 26-30 range mostly towards the bottom end. I don't ride over 65 very often.

I pulled the carb to check the jetting and one says 170, one says either 37.5 or 57.5 and I think it has a square on it.

Check out the post below "Carb Jetting" give you some ideas

Comment

Dirty air filter?

Comment

I am cleaning that today. I pulled the carb last night to take a look inside. I just recently started getting fuel overflow after she had been ridden for a while and then turn the key back on.

Comment

Don't fool with it... think about this: That carb is 18 years old. Do a complete cleaning and rebuild. Spend a little money on it. There are plastic and rubber parts that just get old and go bad. That thing has to work in a gasoline environment all the time. Go right through everything and RE-NEW it. You'll be so satisfied with the result.

Comment

Your jetting should be fine. Are you bumping the rev limiter in 1st or 2nd from time to time? The 170 Main is fine with a 4250 rev limit, and the bees knees, with a higher rev limit of 4750 or 5000rpms.
            The Pilot is a 37.5, and the square lets you know they’re Mikuni jets.
            The carb puke, is often heat related, but can also be a result of a bad seal with the needle and seat. If it’s the original, then at 18 years the oring that seals the seat half in the little hole it resides in, is probably letting fuel past.
            I suspect the fuel pump is still on the bike. They only exacerbate the whole carb puke issue. It’s a flaw in the design. Ethanol treated fuel makes it worse.
            The crappy fuel mileage is typical of a failing seal at the needle and seat. I’d definitely change it out. With your jetting and riding style, you should easily be in the mid 40’s.
            If you turn the fuel off at the petcock about 30 seconds or so before you turn the key off, and turn it back on after you start the bike the next time when riding in the hotter weather, the puke related to the fuel pump, will be taken care of. I always turn the fuel off before I turn the key off anymore anyway. I let it run a bit with the fuel off, not necessarily to drain the bowl, but just a bit to lower the fuel level in the bowl and drop the needle out of the seat.

Run something like Techron, Seafoam, or MMO in your fuel. I add a couple ounces every other tank, just to keep things clean.

Comment

• Cmw2212
              Cmw2212 commented
              Editing a comment
              I do have a dyna box on it. Would that give it the higher rev limit?
              I thought I replaced the needle and seat last year during the rebuild but can't remember, chemo treatments didn't help my memory. That is one reason I pulled it apart to verify I did it. I do still have the fuel pump but have been thinking of going pumpless.

It was running pretty well but I have never seen or heard a properly running R* to compare it to.
            My last bike was a Vmax and prior to that a couple of R1's so nothing to compare apples to apples.

Comment

If you have a dyna3000, then the rev limit is probably set at 5000. That’s great. The 170 Mikuni Main will work perfect with it.
              If you’re not sure about the needle and seat, then I’d be tempted to do two things. Properly check the float level, and if that looks fine, then either replace the needle and seat with OEM, or go pumpless, and switch to the larger gravity flow.

Comment

OK pulled it apart and the seat looks like crap so that may be where some of my overflow is coming from. Also the 2nd jet is a 57.5 with an R and a square with another square in it. The needle looks like it is the 5th groove from the blunt end with one metal washer and a plastic washer beneath and one metal washer on top.

Comment

It should be a 37.5 on the pilot jet and you should be in the 4th groove. A nasty needle and seat is going to run you high on float level, using too much fuel, and being on the 5th groove you are too far up the needle and putting too much fuel through there as well. I run the 170 main with the needle in the 4th groove and no added shim. Gets 41-43 mpg in normal riding, but I can get 48 out of it putting around at 60 and below. Sounds like you are on the right track to correct your high consumption.

Wherever you go in life, ride there if at all possible.

Comment

What is the deal with the 57.5 jet? Anybody ever hear of that?

Comment

• roadiemort
                      roadiemort commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you look closer I think you will find that 5 is a 3

I originally thought it might be a 3 but after getting the magnifier out it looks like a 5 not a 3.

Comment

That’s not the Pilot jet. It’s the Starter jet. The Pilot jet is the tall thin one off to the side. Put that back where you found it.

Comment

OK the tall thinner one doesn't have anything on the top and the other one only has 170.

Comment

As it should be. The Pilot jet has its size written on the side. You won’t be able to see it, until you remove it.
                          You’ll need the glass again. It’s small.

Comment

OK I will check it tomorrow. I am going to look up the part numbers for the needle and seat and hopefully I can get them by Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmw2212 View Post
                              I have a 2000 1600. The PO installed a BAK, V&H Longshots and the carb was jetted. I haven't changed anything in the carb but I am getting consistently lower fuel mileage. In the 26-30 range mostly towards the bottom end. I don't ride over 65 very often.

I pulled the carb to check the jetting and one says 170, one says either 37.5 or 57.5 and I think it has a square on it.
                              I think I'm in the same boat as you with the mileage. Only had the bike over a week now and today just calculated what I got on my last tank. Roughly 28 mpg. I should clarify though that this is on 2006 and mine is a 1700 with D&D pipes and Baron BAK. I'll have to track it a bit more to confirm on this next tank. But like SKWEARpeg said, I'm using MMO in each tank to try to clean up any neglect from the previous owner. When I get some time I'll have to pull the carb to verify the jetting and overall condition of it.

I just cleaned a very dirty air filter and recharged in last week with the K&N kit. But also getting an oil mist that sprinkles onto my exhaust pipe and oil runners (I think) which seems to be coming through my BAK. Must be pushback from the vent/overflow tube that whets the air filter than sprays the mist through it while riding.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil spray.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	23962

Shiny Side ⬆︎ Rubber Side ⬇︎

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_N View Post
                                .......I just cleaned a very dirty air filter and recharged in last week with the K&N kit. But also getting an oil mist that sprinkles onto my exhaust pipe and oil runners (I think) which seems to be coming through my BAK. Must be pushback from the vent/overflow tube that whets the air filter than sprays the mist through it while riding.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil spray.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	23962
                                No, this is likely because you over oiled the filter. Very easy to do...I’ve done it. Ride it like you stole it for 50 miles or so to blow out the excess KN recharge oil. I had a friend last week who was complaining of decreased mileage after the dealer recharged his Stratoliner filter. I told him I suspected the same problem and sure enough after a few miles his mileage returned to normal.

“The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

What Shores described is pretty typical of an over oiled filter.
                                  Another thing I wonder is if the crankcase vent is still connected to the back of the BAK. It’s a vent line that runs from the front most connection on the top of the rear rocker cover, to the back of the air box.
                                  Take a look at that. If the vent line is still routed there, you will want to relocate it. The crankcase vent, is where the blowby from the crankcase exits the inside of the motor. That oil vapor, will over oil your air filter, all by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by SKWEARpeg View Post
                                    What Shores described is pretty typical of an over oiled filter.
                                    Another thing I wonder is if the crankcase vent is still connected to the back of the BAK. It’s a vent line that runs from the front most connection on the top of the rear rocker cover, to the back of the air box.
                                    Take a look at that. If the vent line is still routed there, you will want to relocate it. The crankcase vent, is where the blowby from the crankcase exits the inside of the motor. That oil vapor, will over oil your air filter, all by itself.
                                    Yes, it is still there. I plan to relocate it. Noticed the little tube when I took off the BAK to clean and recharge it. Couldn't find a clear picture of it in the service manual but I figured it was just the vent tube. That also was making the inside of the air box rather oily when I first got in there to look at it and clean it. But the previous owner had the bike filled with 5.5 quarts (yes, 5.5) of oil so I didn't know if the excess was contributing to the problem.

Shiny Side ⬆︎ Rubber Side ⬇︎

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                    Started by Doc_V, 5 hours ago
                                    4 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Zman
                                    by Zman

Started by Pepper Jack, 3 hours ago
                                    8 responses