Newby questions and Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby questions and Recommendations

My two sons are now fine young men and bought me a 2003 RS 1600 for my 50th. I’ve been riding it for a few weeks and have noticed a couple of things. Seems to slip a little when accelerating in 5th gear. I have read about others who have this issue as well. Adjusted the clutch but still seems to slip a little, especially on hills. Replace clutch? Also, occasional small backfire, at fairly low rpm’s, when downshifting to slow down at stops. Notice the exhaust smells a bit on start up so I suppose it could just be running a bit rich? I do need to check the air filter. Lastly, general recommendations of things to check for or expect with this bike. Really loving it, more than I thought I would!

from Solon, IA

Who changed the oil last? Need to make sure the oil is designed for wet clutch. If oil is correct then it's likely a weak spring. Somewhat common here.

Do you have any maintenance history so we know what has and hasn't been done?

Comment

• ATNIL
      ATNIL commented
      Editing a comment
      I am the third owner and the first two kept pretty good records. First owner was a military MP and the second an older, fairly meticulous, fellow. The bike has around 35k and all of the bench mark mileage services have been logged on the owners manual folder. I think I remember seeing the Mobile 1 synthetic listed somewhere in that info. Don't have it with me at the moment. Not any specific details otherwise, just that service was performed at the appropriate mileage intervals. I would say it has been well taken care of. Oil looks really clean. The spring you are talking about is the one on the mechanism at the clutch housing?

• Brad_G
      Brad_G commented
      Editing a comment
      ATNIL, it sounds like a well cared for bike. So that's a big plus. As others have mentioned, these bikes are pretty simple and reliable. Another vote for getting the service manual. If you need one let us know and someone may have a PDF version or know where to acquire one. I have it for the '08 and newer but the later fuel injected bikes have some differences. I don't believe the clutch is one of them, so it would be helpful there. The other thing if you tackle this job yourself, make sure to get an INCH pound torque wrench for the clutch. Some of these bolts go into soft materials and folks have been known to break things if they're too aggressive when tightening.

• EnergyGuy
      EnergyGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      https://www.manualslib.com/manual/66...tar-Xv16a.html

from Athens, Georgia'
    That's a mighty fine birthday present, for sure.
    How many miles on your scooter ? The clutch diaphragm spring will begin to give out sometimes at as low as 30K miles, especially if motor has been "tuned-up". Chances are that the friction plates are still good.
    Quick and easy fix. Simple spring replacement will probably cure the slipping .EBC makes a replacement spring that's a bit stiffer than the original. I used an OE spring for a R/S Warrior in my '00 & '04.R/Ss. It's 25% stiffer than the original R/S spring. It's worked well, but the EBC spring doesn't cost as much as the Warrior spring, and you don't have to deal with he jackass at the dealership parts department. I've always replaced the friction & steel plates while I'm in there, but that's just me. Lots of guys have only replaced the spring and gotten lots of mileage out of the original steel & friction plates. Get yourself a service/repair manual. You'll want to have one handy if you plan on doing any of your own maintenance. I prefer the Clymer manual for it's color-coded wiring diagram.
    The R/S is a very well designed and executed scooter. Straight-forward and easy to work on. They respond nicely to minor "tuning" (pipes, open air filter. carb rejetting). They're extremely durable and reliable.
    Keep us in the loop.
    Enjoy the ride.
    I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

From Puyallup, WA. Read this entire thread below and report back in 3 days for the 250 question exam.

https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...s-should-check

Has the AIS been removed? What pipes and air intake do you have on it? Many folks here replace the OEM clutch spring with the Barnett conversion kit which has six coil springs. You probably should find out what size Jets you have in the carb.

Comment

From Plano Texas, many of us installed the barnett clutch spring conversion kit . I did it on both my Road Stars and don't have to worry about it anymore.
        It takes longer to remove the old clutch cover gasket than doing the the rest of the job.

Any way welcome aboard and ride safe.

Comment

• ATNIL
          ATNIL commented
          Editing a comment
          From Amherst, Va. by the way. Chromepony, she has 35k. Yes, I do need and plan on getting the manual. I'll likely try to find the paper back type but if anyone has a link to a pdf. that would be great too. I watched a video on the barnett install and it looks pretty straight forward but I will need to pick up the inch torque. Took the fellow an hour and a half on the gasket so...yeah, there's that. Shores, forgive my ignorance but I'm not sure what AIS is. The pipes are Cobra but I don't know about the rest. Stayed in Puyallup one time back in '90 I think. Nice town and really nice folks.

• EnergyGuy
          EnergyGuy commented
          Editing a comment
          AIS - Air Induction System aka Emissions Crap.

The stock Air Induction System (AIS) will create a backfire while driving by introducing fresh air into the hot exhaust stream, especially during deceleration. With stock, highly baffled exhaust systems, it's not very obvious. When installing aftermarket exhaust systems, this backfiring becomes very loud and annoying.

From Spring Branch, Texas
        2005 Silverado Midnight Star

Comment

http://www.werder.ee/Manual/XV1600.pdf

Comment

Thanks everyone. This is a really helpful forum. I don’t tend to join forums due to a couple of past bad experiences but this one has good folks with solid information and advice. One other issue came up last night. My wife joined me for her first ride. I thought I could hear what I assume to be valves clacking a little. With the added weight it was more evident. She’s not a big girl at all (in case you’re reading babe). Is that a characteristic of this bike or is it needing a valve adjustment. Do I need to be concerned?

Comment

• davej
            davej commented
            Editing a comment
            no concern they all make noise from the valve train. You also said oil was moble1 Synthetic. Make sure it isn't moble 1 car oil and that it is the motorcycle specific oil compatible with wet clutches.

• ATNIL
            ATNIL commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Dave. It it the oil for bikes. I'll likely be tugging on you all's ear more in days to come.

from EL Paso, TX

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by EnergyGuy, 4 days ago
          10 responses
          4 likes
          Last Post ChrisKimmer  
          Started by ChrisKimmer, 11 hours ago
          2 responses
          0 likes