might need a new tank,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• might need a new tank,

might need a new tank, looks clean by hole, but small tobacco looking stuff coming out. i rub it on white paper and its brown rust colored. i have a pair of the chrome swingarm v THING COVERS, just the V part, i guess they are kury and are RARE can trade or sell. chanpagne color preferred. ??

Did you try to clean it out Brian. Take it off, remove the sending unit, fill with water and about a gallon of crushed pea gravel, then shake it 'til you arms feel like they'll fall off. Rinse thoroughly, let dry and see if that helps.

Comment

Won’t the fuel filter catch most of that gunk? How badly will a little rust in the tank mess up a bike? Ive got a little bit of rust around my inside of my gas cap

Comment

Remove tank and petcock assembly and sending unit. Duct tape the sending unit hole and petcock hole. Put a gallon ov vinegar and some BBs and shake a lot.. Let sit over night shake again a bunch.... Drain... Rinse with water and blow out with compressed air. Then inspect. Clean petcock filters and maybe install gasket kit in petcock. Not sure if you would want to use a coating (creme coat for example) seen mixed results....

Finding a decent used tank is $400-500 and then you have to paint.
        ​​​​​​Worth trying to save.
        LET'S RIDE

Comment

Originally posted by brianmac View Post
          might need a new tank, looks clean by hole, but small tobacco looking stuff coming out. i rub it on white paper and its brown rust colored. i have a pair of the chrome swingarm v THING COVERS, just the V part, i guess they are kury and are RARE can trade or sell. chanpagne color preferred. ??
          I recently refurbished a 50 year old Honda 500 Four, and it had a fairly clean looking tank when looking in the inside by eye. But what I when I looked in with a borescope was there was places inside that had more rust than others, and some flaking off. Filters in theory will catch most of the rust depending on the mesh size or micron rating. But if small particles get by, your float needle is where you can have problems

I decided to clean the tank. I blocked off where the valve was and tried doing the shaking with 1/4-20 hex nuts with water. That is way to much work and not that great of results. After doing that several times decide to look at other methods. There is a bunch of ways to do this, and many opinions (like oil threads) on what's the best. If you decide to clean your tank google it. One thing I would say is the coating the tank with a polymer coating, from what I read, in to many cases end up being worse than the rust. It's not the coating itself that's the problem, it's the prep and getting the tank coated thoroughly. One guy suggested that the only way to assure coating the whole tank inside is to fill it to the top of the filler hole. This is very expensive and potentially wasteful. Another thing to consider is how you rinse the tank out after cleaning. You need to use alcohol or something hygroscopic to absorb any moisture and quickly coat inside with something to prevent rust flashing that occurs very quickly.

FYI, I used electrolysis to clean the Honda tank. I figured if you were interested in doing something with your tank, I could give you details if you wanted. I took a lot of pictures as I was going to do a how to on the SOHC4 Honda forum, but never did. Here is a post that I commented on after I completed the de-rusting. User ID is IrocRuss.
          http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/to...tml#msg2111829

Comment

Yeah I've heard of people doing electrolysis with low voltage salt solutions and an anode. Sure I'd love to give it a try.

Comment

Just so you know, I'm not claiming this process to be any better than other process's. I choose this based on a lot of my own research (when I was working, retired now, I worked in an engineering group in R&D) which I tend to over analyze. A couple of reasons I went this route was it's effective, very little cost, and no hazardous waste to have to worry about getting rid of. Actually the vinegar method also works (I've cleaned other metal parts using this method), I just wanted to see how this electrolysis worked.

So you didn't really tell me what info, if any you wanted. I tend to overwhelm people sometimes with to many details. So I'm attaching a Youtube I just looked up, (I don't remember if I saw this before or not), to give you some idea's about doing this job. I did a few things a little different, but you can get a good idea of how well this works when you see what comes out of the tank. Let me know if or what details or pictures you may need, or otherwise just look it up like I did.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...W0kd7XfblU7UZl

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by JBones, 17 hours ago
              10 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Father Pobasturd  
              Started by LDofDC, 4 weeks ago
              76 responses
              0 likes