Grease’s Hardtail Roadstar Chop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease’s Hardtail Roadstar Chop

Hey folks, feels great to be back on the site! It’s been about 2 years since I was on here having had a desk job at that time with ample internet access. I went down a rabbit hole building an. XS650 Chopper and ended up quitting my job to become a welder at a fabrication shop here in NH, networking with some local chopper builders and starting the “Lowlife Chopper Podcast” with a few close friends of mine.

Im back here now to turn my road star into the bike I always wanted it to be. The jap bike version of the shovelhead. Here’s hoping it goes as planned. Before teardown it was a foot clutch jockey shift machine with nothing but a throttle cable running to the bars. This was enough for a while but every time I had carb issues and had to pull the whole tank off I’d tell myself that one day I would slim this bike down for real.

Right now I’m awaiting my chopsource frame jig so I can build a hardtail rear section for the bike. After that I’ll be setting it up as a right side chain drive and deleting the whole transfer case because who has time to change two fluids? Lol.

Current thoughts are whether to spend $200+ on a rear sprocket conversion and flip the wheel around or just use a Harley rear wheel, use the stock front end or run a Harley 39mm and also what oil tank to run. This will be my first oil tank retrofit and I’m not sure whether oil quantity is a big deal or if a smaller tank would suffice but just require more frequent changes. Also without the transfer case I wonder if 4 quarts is necessary. Thanks to those who responded to my intro thread to let me know that the oil pump is inside the motor and will pump just fine. I’m not sure why there is a second oil pump in the transfer case but it really threw me for a loop.

On this same topic I’m going to look through my manual tonight to see which oil lines will need to run where as the fittings seem proprietary to this engine and extending them to a remote oil tank may be more of an event than simply buying long rubber hoses from the parts store.

Posting this all from a phone so ill do my best to get all the pics uploaded as well. Here’s a few doe now.

Stay tuned

You will still need a oil tank. The engine needs 4 quarts.
    There is two oil pumps. One inside the engine for motor oil and a very small pump inside the transfer case
    that oils the chain from the countershaft sprocket to the output shaft that connects to the left side of the motorcycle.
    You do not need the "transfer case" or anything in it. The reason Yamaha had that extra case and shaft was to gear down the belt drive so that the belt drive would last longer at a lower speed.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        You will still need a oil tank. The engine needs 4 quarts.
        Yes I know I will still need to have an oil tank, just wanted to know if it was necessary for it to be equally sized given that the transfer case is no longer in play.

Thanks!

Comment

• Lucky
          Lucky commented
          Editing a comment
          You are welcome. My oil tank is 3 qts., capacity but I will only add two qts. of oil in addition to the two quarts the engine holds.

Comment

• Chromepony
          Chromepony commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope it all works out well for you.
          I built a rigid scooter (Pauco frame, hot-rod ShovelHead, WideGlide front-end) 40 yrs. ago (when I was 10 ft. tall & bullet-proof).
          It was tons o' fun, but it beat my ass ! I rode it for about 6 months & sold it.

Sounds like a fun project. Straight hardtail or are you going to spring or air bag the seat? My backs all torn up I would not make it far on a hard tail. Please post pics as you build.
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob in FL View Post
          Sounds like a fun project. Straight hardtail or are you going to spring or air bag the seat? My backs all torn up I would not make it far on a hard tail. Please post pics as you build.
          Rob
          I like to run springs under my seats for the look and the comfort. I’ve got them on my XS and it’s every bit as comfortable as my road star with suspension.

Comment

• Rob in FL
            Rob in FL commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice! an xs650 might be my next project when I finish my roadstar

Thanks. If you ever have any questions related to the XS please feel free to reach out. I’ve seen about a thousand issues in my time with that blue bike and would love to pay it forward.

Comment

NIce, this is going to be good. Keep this photos coming. Sweet XS BTW.

Comment

ok grease, flash from the past...two brothers i grew grew up with, both former presidents of mc michigan had a basement or garage that looked just like yours...motorcycles in various stages of repair and parts being modified for one reason or the other...bits and pieces everywhere and big pieces stored on plywood with permanent oil stains...danny is gone and i have no idea where dale is...i never learned to wrench...i grew pot and told stories...thanks for the pics...i ride oem but appreciate the work of others...zing goodwrench...

Comment

I’m glad to hear that story is remembered fondly zing. I appreciate those who can see the value in the other side and having been on on both the stock and modified sides I can see advantages to both as well. Things are a little easier now that I’ve got a garage vs before when I was in an actual dirt floor basement. Life has gone upward thank goodness!

Ive now got my frame jig built using some aluminum from work and some of the key machined components from chopsource. Here’s where she sits now. If anyone was wondering, it’s very odd the way they linked the backbone to the seat post. Folded metal? Why?? Lol, I will never understand some of what Yamaha does.

Additionally, I need to order a new exhaust stud because mine broke and had to weld a nut on to remove it. one of my top motor mounts broke off in the head as well so that’s gonna need replacing too. I’ve ordered a universal hardtail kit from tc bros that I’ll be adapting to this rear section. Never done this before so wish me luck boys, I’ll take plenty of photos once the stock comes in.

Comment

• Rob in FL
                  Rob in FL commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I started with just a bare frame and zero other parts

Forgot to mention this but if anyone is looking for stock parts like the fender, horn, transfer case components, sissy bar, tank dash and more, shoot me a pm. Would like it to go to a good home for very little money.

Comment

Lots of choppers being built lately. I love it!

Comment

Father P! There’s a name I remember from the old days on the forum, you were an advocate for me when I was trying to find a way to convert to a foot clutch while others were beating me for safety violations lol. Glad to see you’re still on here man!

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
                      Father Pobasturd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hell yea I'm still here. Almost bought the farm a few weeks ago but I'm back & should be back riding in a month or so. I see your XS is set up Jockey style. Good luck on your RS build, can't wait to see it done.

Enjoy reading posts from guys who think outside the box.
                    my first big street bike was a ‘55 Pan that I chopped back in the day.
                    keep pics coming!

Comment

I’m putting bar extensions (1”up 2”back) on the rocket 3...how many “chopper” points do I get for that? I’m using high tech special tools, I have a nut turner and a bolt holder (they work in conjunction with one another) and possibly a 6 sided screw turner if needed...I hope I don’t have to use the pounder or hot melt glue gun (my power tools)...zing goodwrench...

Comment

Pretty cool build thread you have here Grease. Gonna be watching for sure. I just completed a resto build of an XS 650 and I think I got it all sorted out. Seemed it was one thing after the other and then winter came along. Great group of bikes you have there and looking forward in seeing your R* completed. My xs just last weekend.

Comment

• Rob in FL
                          Rob in FL commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Great job on the XS very clean build

• Questcap
                          Questcap commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My very first one of those, was a '72, in the read and white... That was 1973, 46 years ago!!!

• Father Pobasturd
                          Editing a comment
                          I put a sidecar on a '75 XS 650, abused the shit out of it, and it came back for more.

Lookin' pretty righteous there, Jc... I like it! I'd like to build an XS rat bobber, myself. Am looking for an appropriate candidate now.

Comment

One question I’ve got as I move further into this is how to turn the hard oil lines on the road star into soft lines. Has anyone experimented with this? Could they simply be cut and a tube with a hose clamp slipped over the opening? Thanks!

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
                            Editing a comment
                            You can always use those hose clamps that look like AN fittings for a cleaner look.

Go on over to ChopCult.com and check out LuckyDon's build, I think it's in the Japanese section. I'm pretty sure he did it that way.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Yaman, 07-08-2018, 03:44 PM
                          25 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NCB
                          by NCB

Started by grubsie, 1 day ago
                          5 responses
                          0 likes