Looking for some big bore advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some big bore advice

I did some searching on the subject to see if it had been covered recently but didn’t find anything, So am going to post the question here and hope I am not being redundant. I want to install a big bore kit over the winter. There appears to be two kits at Patrick Racing with different approaches i.e. 108 re-plated and 110 sleeved. Could someone give me the pros and cons of each along with a final recommendation? I have a 2014 Roadstar and I am looking for a little additional midrange torque.
    Sincerity is the most important thing in life. Fake that, and you've got it made

...........Groucho Marx

I went with the 110 cu in Big Bore. I went with the sleeved due to heat displacement. My theory is that if you can plate a 108 but can't plate a 110 then the cylinder walls of the 108 are at the very max size meaning that they are very thin. The thinner the cylinder walls are the less ability there is for heat displacement. I also don't trust aftermarket plating processes. If anything was to ever happen where you needed to work on the cylinder a sleeved cylinder can be honed to remove scratches or any minor imperfections and a plated cylinder can't be without replating. They can not be honed, some say they can be with a special hone but I don't recommend even trying it. If you are gonna do the Big bore do it all at the same time if possible. Do the Cam and ported heads when you do it. I have never heard of anyone doing a big bore on a FI bike but it will run good if done properly.

Comment

I haven't heard of anyone on this forum doing a big bore on a fuel injected Roadstar. I would be concerned that the stock ECU would not be able to adjust. It cannot be remapped. I would also be concerned that you would never be able to get an aftermarket ECU to work properly. I don't know anyone on this forum who has ever been successful with an aftermarket ECU. I would ask Patrick racing what their experience is with fuel injected Roadstars.

Comment

• davej
        davej commented
        Editing a comment
        no one has been successful with an aftermarket ECU because no one has bucked up for a dyno tune. Everyone has only tried to use the available maps from the aftermarket company. 1 of the Indian dealers here had a dyno day
        with a outside dyno guy. he had a big screen for everyone to see. When he hooked up bikes with the maps in them they were all way off from where they needed to be. The parameters were all perfect when he was done and it showed in the dynoed HP/Tq. The screen had a bunch of colored squares on it that were part of the parameters that needed to be set. It takes a little back and forth setting to get them all correct, That is why it cost $300 and up to get them dyno tuned.

Keep your 2014 Road Star stock and buy either a Raider or a Stratoliner/Roadliner, Either of those stock with just flash/exhaust/air filter will be faster than a 108/110 big bore xv1600/1700. You can pick up Liners for around $4000 to $5,000.

My 2008 has a power commander but only for the purpose of raising the rev limiter to 4850 which is nice. I have a two into one exhaust and large open air filter. It's about as fast as you going to get a fuel injected by reasonably. It's got good power for what it is but is nowhere near as fast as my road liner. My '08 fuel injected Roadstar is such a nice riding and running bike I would hate to crack it open trying to make it faster.
      LET'S RIDE

Comment

• Shores
        Shores commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen!

Dave, how many of those bikes were Roadstars? I would imagine most were Harleys or Indians.

Comment

• davej
        davej commented
        Editing a comment
        It don't matter what kind of bike it is. Adjusting AFR in all ranges is what the corrections are for. It just so happens that a stock R* runs just fine and adjust well without the use of a aftermarket fuel controller. But they are running on the lean side of things. If a dyno was done I'll bet that you would find out that there is more performance there than there is without the controller. Along with the ability on some controllers to adjust rpm and timing. I think a modified Big Bore FI bike would run well with a properly dyno tuned controller.

Originally posted by Lug Nut View Post
      My '08 fuel injected Roadstar is such a nice riding and running bike I would hate to crack it open trying to make it faster.
      This is my stance as well. It is what it is. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

Comment

• Do Something
        Do Something commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks all. I asked for some recommendations and they seem pretty consistent. Davej's insights were intriguing but frankly a little beyond my skill set. So I guess I will pass on the big bore idea. I didnt mention a High compression piston upgrade in my original post because I have seen in other posts where it only makes a modest difference. Does the same limitations for a fuel injected engine apply to the HC pistons upgrade.?

Thanks all. I asked for some recommendations and they seem pretty consistent. Davej's insights were intriguing but frankly a little beyond my skill set. So I guess I will pass on the big bore idea. I didnt mention a High compression piston upgrade in my original post because I have seen in other posts where it only makes a modest difference. Does the same limitations for a fuel injected engine apply to the HC pistons upgrade.?
      Do Something, I'll leave the answers up to some of those more knowledgeable than I regarding your question. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate what you're wanting to do and there are some here that have done these mods. Unfortunately I believe they've all been on carb'd bikes from what I've seen. So you would be a pioneer in this area if you choose to go forward. There could be a lot to be learned but it also could end up with much $$ down the tubes as well. I personally am not sure the risk/reward is worth the gamble. There are other bikes that could give you better performance if that's what you're truly after.

Comment

I'll bet that if you talked to Nigil at Patrick Racing you would find that there have been more Big Bore kits sold for FI Roadstar Warriors than for carbed Roadstars.

Comment

Originally posted by davej View Post
          I'll bet that if you talked to Nigil at Patrick Racing you would find that there have been more Big Bore kits sold for FI Roadstar Warriors than for carbed Roadstars.
          I've seen 110 big bore warriors and they put down good numbers...I am thinking I recalled seeing 110 HP and 115 torque to the tire or so...
          LET'S RIDE

Comment

• davej
            davej commented
            Editing a comment
            Nigil told me just over 100 hp deoending on exhaust it could go up a few. He said best was with V&H 2-1 propipe.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by JHouse, 5 days ago
        17 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post dbtk44
        by dbtk44

Started by Rooster85, 2 weeks ago
        11 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Rooster85