Project bike need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project bike need advice

I’ve had crotch rockets for many year and there just not as much fun since I’ve gotten a little older and my wife don’t want ride on them no more so I found an 03 Yamaha road star that had been laid down on the passenger side and has been sitting for awhile. I got a get a battery this weekend and get it running but it needs a tank, brake lever and the strut covers on the tree. I really don’t know anything about these bikes but I’m looking for some ideas or a web site to find some after market parts for it kinda cheap. I wanna go with kind of a sporty look so fenders and headlight and a seat that looks good but she’ll want ride with me maybe some bars to. Also I’m looking for a tank I don’t really care if it’s stock or not but i haven’t been able to find one cheap enough. Any advice would be appreciated.

Check the classifieds here for parts. Also Pinwall online.

Comment

I’ll check it out besides the tank it’s more aftermarket stuff I’m looking for though the look of the bike just don’t do it for me. I don’t really want to bobber it but I hate the cruiser look it’s to bulky for me kinda sleek and sporty. I miss my gsxr to be honest it was just hurting my back to ride it more then a half hour and I really don’t care about the speed I just want it to look sleek

Comment

• Shores
        Shores commented
        Editing a comment
        Pacific Coast Star, Dchopper Customs, SS Custom Cycle

Your likely going to sink more $ into that thing that what it's worth. If you look around on FB marketplace you can find nice low mileage unmolested Road Stars for $2k-4k that don't need anything but maybe new tires/battery/fluids and filters.
      LET'S RIDE

Comment

I only got a grand in it right now so I’m fine with putting another 1000 in it

Comment

Well expect to pay $400+ for a tank... Leave the brushed covers off (chrome underneath)...get on FB site for RSC.... Lots of parts for sale there. If you want sleek and sporty.. I have a custom set of tins... From the Barons Bike... Fiberglass fenders, metal side covers, stretched tank... All custom painted and in very good shape. See attached Pic... If interested shoot me an email

[email protected] Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1578194900484.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	117268
          LET'S RIDE

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
            I’ve had crotch rockets for many year and there just not as much fun since I’ve gotten a little older and my wife don’t want ride on them no more so I found an 03 Yamaha road star that had been laid down on the passenger side and has been sitting for awhile. I got a get a battery this weekend and get it running but it needs a tank, brake lever and the strut covers on the tree. I really don’t know anything about these bikes but I’m looking for some ideas or a web site to find some after market parts for it kinda cheap. I wanna go with kind of a sporty look so fenders and headlight and a seat that looks good but she’ll want ride with me maybe some bars to. Also I’m looking for a tank I don’t really care if it’s stock or not but i haven’t been able to find one cheap enough. Any advice would be appreciated.
            I'm never have been a big fan of the big fender flairs and headlight on many of the cruisers. I don't know the availability of custom roadstar tins, but if you have some fabricating abilities, you can do your own customizing. I bought a Vstar 1300 that I really liked, except the overall look. I wanted something a little more updated look, so I cut the rear fender and used a Kawasaki 900 tail light, replaced the large headlight with one from a Vstar 950 and used a Honda VTX front fender fabricating a new mounting bracket.

Before
            Click image for larger version  Name:	StockVstar1300.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.4 KB ID:	117425
            After
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Painted VStar 1300 011.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	117426

The tins Lug Nut has looks really nice, definitely would save time with bolt on stuff.
            I know you already have a starting point with the bike you bought, but the Roadstar Warrior, might meet your wants better from an OEM bike. I think Yamaha tried to have a sporty bike for people that got tired of riding crotch rockets. It also has better performance than the standard roadstar. Here's a link if your interested in details, I think they made them from early 2002 - 2010.
            https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo...rrior%2006.htm

Comment

I'm selling my Barons tins for $750 but not shipping... I'm in NE Indiana
              LET'S RIDE

Comment

Ya I think of Going to do some fab on the back fender the front fender idea and head light isn’t a bad idea though I think I’m going to look into that I still got a figure out a tank though I was hoping to get around the 400+ tank I was looking on eBay but all they really got is the bobber tank and i don’t no how that should look plus I’d have to figure gauges out if I go that route. Right now I got a gas leak some where problem going to the carb I haven’t had time to look at it yet it’s been sitting for awhile though so I got a get it running first..

Comment

So will a v star tank work on a road star like gauges and everything fit?

Comment

• Lug Nut
                    Lug Nut commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nope. The Only gas tank that will work (direct fit) on a Road Star is a Road Star. And... 99-07 tanks are interchangeable and I believe 08-14 are interchangeable (carb vs FI... Fuel pump is located on side of motor for carb and in tank for FI).

So I ant had time to get on here in awhile but I got it tore down found a few wiring issues I got a fix got a buddy that builds tanks think he can fix mine cheaper then a used one so I sent that to him today and I went and bought a baron bobd two back fender for it. I got a get tire yet and a few minor thing but I did drive it down the road before I got it tore apart and I like it I just got a work on the cool factor of it hopefully in a few weeks I can start thinking paint and get it on the road. Has anybody had one of there fender before and if so how wide of a tire can I fit on a stock rim under it and not worry about my passenger bottoming it out?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by scotcher65, 1 day ago
                  5 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Ironman
                  by Ironman

Started by boomerA, 3 days ago
                  10 responses
                  0 likes