X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tykes_Place
    replied
    I told him I have a set but that I’d want to sell the Silverado bags with them.

Leave a comment:

• MikeyC
    commented on 's reply
    Oh yeah. I think it was Jay

• Ahodge75
    commented on 's reply
    Yes I’m pretty sure it was Jaybo too

• Shores
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe Jay but I don't think he realizes that's what he actually needs. Ha!

• MikeyC
    replied
    Who at the meet and greet was looking for stock roadstar saddle bag brackets?

Leave a comment:

• MikeyC
    replied
    We are home. Only 2840 miles covered but had a great time with great people the whole way

Leave a comment:

• MidnightRide
    replied
    Just gave Duke a call for a status check since I hadn't heard from him since Starfest to Challis. He's home OK, made a stop in SLC to visit a bit, super busy catching up at the moment.

Glad to hear he made it back to New Mexico OK! Longest ride to Starfest this year!

Leave a comment:

• MikeyC
    commented on 's reply
    Went up to Greenhorn for a game we play. ABCity tour. Greenhorn was picture we needed

• MikeyC
    replied
    Wow! That sounds like a fun ride! We rode thru a couple of elk herds. Saw deer and antelope and a coyote tons of cows. But no bear! I was hoping for a bear.

Leave a comment:

• Shores
    replied
    Mike, Jenetta and Elaine, I'm glad you didn't get more seriously hurt. Aren't you glad you were wearing your riding gear and boots and not shorts and tennis shoes? I hope you guys can stay off those dirt roads. You're scaring me!

Leave a comment:

• MidnightRide
    commented on 's reply
    YamaDave, we stopped by the motel on the way home from our ride today, and they knew nothing about your magnet, so I'd guess it's still there. She asked your room # but I told her it was no big deal, you had another on its way. The motel was full again, only one bike this time.

• MidnightRide
    replied
    Anne and I decided to make that Idaho run today, just east over the mountains from the Riverview motel. I thought the highway would wind us over the top, but zoomed the satellite image in to see it's a dirt road. No problem, decided to go around the mountains and make a return run, 100 miles each way. Four hour run to Priest Lake and back.

You'll remember that last leg of the Day 2 ride when we ran up the east side of the river and crossed the red bridge. Anne and I ran that down to Newport, gassed up, and ran up to Priest Lake. Gorgeous ride. Never been up there.

But here's the deal. From our last gas stop on Day 2, I'd run 173 miles after we did that extra loop up to the dam and back down around Sullivan Lake, plus the 10 miles running from the motel to our house. I did the math and figured I had enough gas to reach Newport and gas up, no problem, since it was only 45 miles down. I'd been getting above 45 MPG riding 2-up, so figured I had nearly two gallons in the tank.

So off we went.

About halfway down I remembered that it is COLVILLE that's 45 miles; Newport is 60. In this case, it was 62 to the gas station.

So now I'm doing more specific math as I ride.

You guys remember those fuel capacity and mileage tests I did after my eclipse run, posted on the old site? Now I'm running those numbers, and was so thankful I had them. I was sure I was going to run out of gas on the road somewhere.

My low fuel light kicked in, and then I waited for the reserve to demand some attention. I was cruising at around 60 MPH or less, conserving fuel on that awesome road. Reserve kicked in at 220 miles, and I'm remembering that I should have 3/4 gallon til dry at that point. I was 47 miles into that run, and not quite sure how far I had to go. It was actually another 15 miles.

Sure enough, the end of the road appeared, and I was breathing easier. Gas station was only a couple of hundred more yards.

Made it. It was actually 237 miles on that tank before we hit the station. Filled it up and it took exactly 5 gallons. Huh? I still had 3/4 gallons left! Apparently I have more fuel than I thought when it hits reserve, maybe a gallon? Easily could have gone another 25 miles with fuel to spare, LOL. Not even cutting it close; I should have had 34 miles still in the tank...

Checked the fuel mileage and we got 47.3 MPG on that tank, including the run from our Day 2 lunch stop back to the motel, then up around the lake.

From there we ran up to Priest Lake, Idaho, and back to the station to fill it up again before heading home (cheap gas), and we'd logged 118 miles on that route. 50.6 MPG on that one! Only 2.33 gallons.

So we ran back up that eastside Pend O'reille River road, this time it was after 6 PM, and wildlife became my concern. Before long we had a deer on the road ahead of us, so I slowed way down, she disappeared, but I kept it slow. 50 yards down the road, out ran her fawn, another 40 yards ahead of us. Not unusual nor unexpected.

A little further and it was a couple of hen turkeys and several of their young ones.

But the coolest thing was further up the road we'd just passed a Harley rider and after rounding a corner there was a black bear in the road! That was awesome. Right near some homes. He just looked our way and scurried toward the river.

Nothing after that, but it was a great ride home, this time not having to worry about gas.

Wish you guys could have been there with us!

The photo is at Beaver Creek campground, at the end of the pavement up there at Priest Lake. MikeyC would have kept going on the dirt road beyond the pavement and ridden it over the mountains back to our place, saving 45 miles, LOL...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220719_161217 (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	145707

Leave a comment:

• MidnightRide
    commented on 's reply
    Glad to hear you're all OK, generally speaking. You're going to have to order up some knobbies for that 800 lb. beast if you keep after these excursions! Beautiful area though. What inspired you to head up to Greenhorn? Your trip back down reminds me of some of the things I do in my Jeep.

Time to convert that RS to the worlds first-ever dual sport.

Safe ride on your other excursions, and your eventual leg home!

• MikeyC
    replied
    We are currently in Prairie City. Elaine met us and Christine in Joseph. Yesterday we didn’t see a rock in the shadows while cruising a cemetery and hit it. All most dumped the bike, ran over my foot, drug my foot out and regained control. Foot still sore but not broke. And yesterday on a gravel road Elaine went down on her face. Skinned her forearm up and hurt her foot but nothing broke. Bent the crash bar, twisted the clutch, broke the mirror but we got her picked up and bike straightened out. Today Me and Jenetta rode up to Greenhorn. The other two ladys waited for us on the asphalt. Coming back the first 3 miles was steep down hill gravel and i over heated by back brake so we had to make do with engine compression to get the rest of the way. Kind of dicy but we made it. We will be home Thursday night

Leave a comment:

• MidnightRide
    commented on 's reply
    Heard from Kenny this morning, all is well and they had a great trip home. Thanks Shores!

• Shores
    replied
    Haven't heard from Kenny Urban with the goldwing and trailer. His girlfriend flew to Spokane to meet him and ride home to Tacoma with him. He has my phone number so I would hear if there would have been a problem.

Leave a comment:

• MidnightRide
    commented on 's reply
    Good to hear. Duke's going to trailer home? Good for him. Hoping the others check in as they're available, as well as reports on those who aren't on our site but who rode with us at Starfest. Thanks Aaron!

• Ahodge75
    commented on 's reply
    Mike had made it to Joesph lastnight with Christine and Duke made it to Challis also. Duke was trailering home from there.

• MidnightRide
    replied
    Shores , do we have any way of checking if everyone made it home OK? Haven't heard from MikeyC or Duke yet, among others, but Duke probably has another day to go, and I think Mike was going to do some visiting before calling it a wrap. I shot Duke a text a while ago, as well as Kenny C., even though he trailered home. I don't have everyone's contact info.

Leave a comment:

• MidnightRide
    replied
    Perfect timing on the dates we chose. Heavy rain in the area today, including between here and Colville! We've stayed dry, however. I was going to do that Idaho run but opted out due to weather.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Meta...48.8638091!3e0

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by MidnightRide, 11 hours ago
12 responses
0 likes
Last Post KFallsRider  
Started by Aussiestar, 5 hours ago
4 responses
1 like