700 dollar Road Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 700 dollar Road Star

Had to put a couple things on it, Runs good I really enjoy it. It shows 82000 on odometer.
    Attached Files

Now that's how you do it!

Comment

And to think, you're having just as much fun as some guy on his $30,000+ dollar Harley. Way to go Brian! Don't let that mileage scare you. These bikes go past 100K all the time, seen several past 150K, and even a couple past 200K. The cylinders have some kind of super hard coating and they don't wear out. Treat that baby to the best synthetic oil and change it regularly and it'll keep on keepin' on. And remember, regular fuel only.

Comment

• D-Fresh
        D-Fresh commented
        Editing a comment
        FP,
        What's the story with using regular fuel only?

Excellent buy! The Yamaha Roadstar cylinders are Nikasil. Ceramic and metal.

FROM the internet.
      Nikasil is an ultra-hard, friction-reducing material invented by Mahle in 1967. It's a mixture of nickel, silicon and carbon and is used primarily as a sort of spray-in cylinder liner, applied by electroplating it to a prepared metallic surface and then honing it. Think of it as Teflon for engines. Nikasil saw some success in racing, and it remains a good choice when weight and performance are the most important factors. The legendary Porsche 917 used Nikasil as a cylinder-lining material; the 911 still uses it, as do many sport motorcycles. However, when Jaguar decided to go with Nikasil, things didn't work out quite so well.

After the new engine went into production for the 1998 model year, spotty reports of odd engine failures began to trickle in. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, the engines would lose power: They'd take longer and longer to crank to a start in the morning and eventually they simply would not start. In short order the cause was found to be low compression in the cylinders; an inspection of the cylinder walls unearthed the problem. The Nikasil liner was failing, which allowed the rings to score the cylinder walls and reduced compression. The question was: Why?

There was a two-part recipe for failure. The first ingredient was sulfur. Sulfur levels in the world's fuel supply varied widely during the time Jaguar produced this engine. England, Jaguar's home, had a fuel mix with very low sulfur levels, so Jaguar didn't encounter the problem during design and development. But once the engines reached other parts of the globe with higher concentrations of the element in their gas, the trouble started. Sulfur can do funny things to an engine's intake system. If the conditions aren't just right, sulfur combines with ambient molecules to form sulfuric acid, commonly known as battery acid. Sulfuric acid in an engine will attack and corrode any surface it touches, though iron is considerably more resistant to corrosion than Nikasil is.

Still, Porsche has long used Nikasil to line its aluminum cylinders, so why did Jaguar have a problem? Enter the second ingredient—heat or, rather, the lack of it. For performance, fuel-economy and emissions reasons, the Jag V8 ran cooler than the Porsche. That lower temperature plus sulfur in the fuel allowed the formation of sulfuric acid.

Jaguar soon began replacing entire engines. By the next year, engineers had changed the design to include traditional steel liners.

Since Jaguar's troubles, though, automakers have made great strides in liner-free aluminum-engine design. Ford recently released its highest-performance Mustang engine ever, with a plasma-transferred wire-arc cylinder liner made of an iron oxide, which saves 8.5 pounds and improves overall performance. As the industry begins to focus on weight reduction and high-performance small engines, such technology will trickle down to more modest cars. When it does, let's just hope the designs have been thoroughly tested against the kind of weird occurrences that doomed Jaguar's Nikasil-lined V8s.

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
        Father Pobasturd commented
        Editing a comment
        The Yamaha cylinders are NOT Nikasil. It is a substance similar to it, but exclusive to Yamaha.

Man thats s deal. I dont know why the atlanta market is through the roof impossible yo find a decent one under 3500, for 2k the most you can get is a vstar 650

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
        Editing a comment
        People may be asking 3500, but are they actually getting it?

Nice score!!

Comment

Holy shit! Why so cheap?? That's a hell of a score.

Comment

I got it from a friend who came into some cash and bought a new HD and a real nice Road Star for his girl.. He didn't have 300 miles on it and got T boned by a lady with no drivers license. Busted him up real bad and 8 grand of damage to his new bike.

Comment

• Lucky
            Lucky commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw a story on Live PD where a woman was stopped and the had no drivers license.
            The policeman asked if she had ever had a drivers license. She said No, and she was 50 years of age!

Originally posted by D-Fresh View Post
          FP,
          What's the story with using regular fuel only?
          Says in the owners manual. The engine is of a low compression design. Higher octane is for higher compression engines. Octane just retards combustion so high compression engines don’t ping. It’s a myth that high octane is better for any engine. My FI Roadstar runs hot on high octane. I use 87 only.

Comment

• D-Fresh
            D-Fresh commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to know. I have a fuelie also and i haven't been running 87 but will start. Thanks

• Brian Schenk
            Brian Schenk commented
            Editing a comment
            High test also sits in the tanks longer they don't sell as much of it. They say in 3 to 4 weeks E10 starts to sour.

what year is it? Good buy regardless of the year but depending on the year there could be a few different things to check to insure it's longevity.

I checked your profile and see that it is a 2001. Ask your buddy if the recall was done and if the oil pump drive gear was replaced. If it wasn't replaced you might want to replace it. That is 1 of the years that had issues with them breaking cutting off oil pressure.

Comment

Lucky Bastard.

Comment

Dont be concerned about that 82K on the clock. Ride it to twice that amount with minimal upkeep and enjoy

These bikes are a good design

Comment

So Brian,what's the grand total after repairs? I think you might qualify for the RSC Deal of the Decade award.

Comment

Lets see thing's it really needed were a decompression solenoid, and a master cylinder kit. I put on a couple parts it didn't need my mistake for not knowing the bike. So I guess 700 for the bike 300 for the solenoid, I think 20 for the master cylinder kit. Things it didn't need that i bought, a new battery, start relay and some 1157 light bulbs, and I put on new brake pads it didn't really need but they are cheap so I put new ones on. oh and I did replace the starter It turned slow.

Comment

Beat my score by over 300$$$ nice ride man

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
                      Editing a comment
                      Yea, but you got a 1700 his is a 1600 that accounts for something.

Agreed

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Herrindude, 8 hours ago
                    6 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post ItBeMe
                    by ItBeMe

Started by Lucky, 2 weeks ago
                    46 responses