My first Yamahammer....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Yamahammer....

Bought my first streetbike in 1984 off a fellow soldier shipping out... Then I got shipped out to the middle of Nowhere, Turkey in 85 and it sat in storage...but there was a "little" problem with my younger brother. When I got back to the states, I noticed the Speedo cable disconnected..was seriously considering a whooping for him, when his buddies spilled the beans. Seems they all couldn't stop laughing about how he popped a wheelie with it one time, dumping one of his buddies flat on his @ss in the middle of the street, then proceeding to a standing bear wrestle with the bike. I laughed so hard and was amazed (and proud) they'd replaced the tail light they'd broken. I couldn't find it in me to rag on him, the sneaky punks almost got away with it, lol. Lesson: always put the Speedo cable back when your done playing hooligan with your older brother's bike.

Oh yeah, in 86 he found same bike at a dealer, we had twinsies Midnight Maxims for a spell...

If nostalgia is in, one of these air-cooled straight fours would be cool. Honda has their UJM CBR1000 they sell today, but I'm partial to the semi-American styling of these 80's maxims. It would be interesting to see if Yamaha would risk bringing out something like these today, maybe with modern FI and ABS...one can dream.
    XJ750MK Ft Devens, MA

Thats a funny story. My first street bike was a 83 Yamaha Maxim 550 and my dad bought a 81 850 Special. Mine was red and his black. One day I took his out with my younger sister for a short ride through the neighborhood. We were turning around in a gravel parking lot, gave it a little bit of gas and we ended up gently falling to the inside. We didn't get hurt and there was no damage done to the bike. My sister just recenty brought it up to my dad after all of these 18 years. I have looked in the local Craigslist ads to see if anyone has them for sale as I think I would be cool to have the bikes similar to when I was growing up.

Comment

• SuperG
      SuperG commented
      Editing a comment
      Those specials were something else...People at the time would refer to the black and gold bikes as 'pimp-mobiles'. Time has a funny way of turning the absurd into tradition.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rd4003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	171.7 KB ID:	38727My first Yamaha was an RD400, loved the sound of that 2 stroke engine! When i was looking to get back into riding a few years ago i looked at an RD350 and quickly realized i wasn't 18 years old (or weigh 150 pounds) any more. The RS fits my style a little better these days but it would be fun to ride one of those again ...

Decided to add a pic. This is not my bike but looks just like it. Notice the mag wheels and disc brakes, quite revolutionary for 1976 and not being a flagship model.
    2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

I picked up a 1974 TX 650 in 1980, and was bit pretty hard by the motorcycling bug. The bike had been wrecked, the guy I bought it from had partially rebuilt it and repainted it. After that I bought another Yamaha, a 750 triple. I also got a 74 TX 750 (seen in the picture below). The 750 triple and the 650 were awesome bikes, but as some of you may know, the TX 750 had its share of problems from the factory. Also a Virago 700 and of course the Royal Star. A Gold Wing and a Vulcan 1500 Classic, and somewhere in there I traded a VW bug for a 650 maxim. I sometimes think it would be fun to pick up an old 650 again, or a 750 special. They were great bikes.

RTT

Comment

First Yamaha a 2000 Road Star

Comment

• NoSleep
          NoSleep commented
          Editing a comment
          What type of risers did you have on that bike? I really like the set-up of bars, risers, and windshield.

• LDofDC
          LDofDC commented
          Editing a comment
          The risers are Barons pull back risers. Don't remember the pullback amount.

My first Yammy was a 1980 XS1100.

Comment

• SuperG
          SuperG commented
          Editing a comment
          A fun thing to notice is the 'square' headlights. The kids will tell you that was an 80's 'thing', but actually it started in the late 70's, and was fully passe by 83. The headlight on the Midnight Maxim in the original post is round.

Starting on the street with a '66 Honda 305 Street Hawk. I bought it in 2 boxes for $100, and put it all together myself with NO manual of any kind. I was right proud of it. Looked much like this one... tho frame was black, chainguard, too... lower fork legs had no color... O, alrright... it didn't look anything like this one! Hahaha

Comment

My second street bike was the venerable '72 XS2 650. The read and white, prettiest one they'd ever made. Looked just like this one:

I was in the Army by then, and stationed out in Colorado. Was that ever fun to ride in the mountains!

Comment

My first true road bike a 93 Virago 750. Not my bike. But, the color is correct.

Comment

• SuperG
              SuperG commented
              Editing a comment
              That's the ticket! The semi-stepped seat, jacked up tank, and short looking wheelbase was the 'look' back then.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Father Pobasturd, 13 hours ago
          6 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post davej
          by davej

Started by drumsonly2002, 35 minutes ago
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post Tykes_Place