X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by highvoltage View Post
    OJ, you don't mess around, do you. You get right on it and get it done. Enjoy your Roadwing. Ride safe. Be safe.
    haha well I can't seem to sit there without thinking "what could i do next..."
    Thanks man you be safe also!

Leave a comment:

• highvoltage
    replied
    OJ, you don't mess around, do you. You get right on it and get it done. Enjoy your Roadwing. Ride safe. Be safe.

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Well I got everything Installed, and gosh dang what a difference!
    I tried as hard as I could to get the frame or exhaust to scrape on my way to work and it couldn't!
    most of the corners I would usually take it easy on where no math for the power of the roadwing!
    I got the shock for $185
    rap from the an400 $25
    hardware $25
    ss7-5w suspension fluid $7
    so basically about $242 and a few hours of time

the hardest part to me was positioning the dang hydraulic line in the right spot, just took a lot of fiddling with

I accidentally had the rap turned in when I loosened the banjo bolt as i adjusted the angle of the line on the shock so I guess the line got a good bleeding

In the future I would like to put the progressive spring on there but for now it will work

I ended up taking apart my shadow 750 engine also, almost down to just the crankcase
    I'm trying to find what the horrid tapping sound was but no luck yet
    The front cylinder seemed fine, valves looked alright, crank bearing seemed ok, no excessive play
    hopefully when I get around to taking the rear jug off I will find something not too crazy that needs to be fixed

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Well shoot mcmaster-carr doesnt play around!
    I ordered the shims yesterday and they are already here today!
    I thought there had to be some kind of a glitch when the site said "delivers monday" but I guess not
    I will be installing it on my day off this week, the anticipation is killing me!!

Leave a comment:

• Jclevesque
    replied
    You will gladly enjoy the Roadwing as most of us do.

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    So I ended up getting a RAP( remote adjustable preload) from a suzuki burgman an400
    Only cost me about $30 shipped
    It took a while but I finally figure out how to fill and bleed the darn thing
    Fought it and cussed until I was covered in suspension oil (i used ss7 5w oil) until i decided to pray about it, 5 minutes later I screamed in joy as God gave me the wisdom to figure it out
    I ended up taking off the top cap, then removing the plate under it using some needle nose pliers, then more prayer as I tried to remove the piston, yet again the big man upstairs helped me out and I pulled the piston out by prying the needle nose pliers against the inside walls of the piston
    It popped out and let out another triumphant scream
    I was able to finally fill the reservoir, it took quite a bit of oil, much more than my first attempts, there is no sort of return spring in there so I guess that's the only way to do it
    I hooked it up to the line attached to the shock, pumped the rap down, loosened the banjo bolts a few times on the rap and shock body to bleed it and BAM it was working like a charm
    I managed to pop out the stock bushing from the shock and now I'm just playing the waiting game until I get the last few parts I need from mcmaster carr
    I had to order some flanged sleeve bearings and shims, of course the shims only come in a pack of 24 and I only need 2 so if anyone needs some let me know before they sit in my garage until the end of time gathering dust

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    So I ended up finding a goldwing shock for $185 shipped
    I just need to locate a rap and I should be all set

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by jcova58 View Post
    Read your post Ok Jones and my condolences for your loss. In some cases wives and or girlfriends, come and go but your close homeboys are with you forever, even when they've gone to Rider's Heaven. I'm 61 years old now and I still have my buddies that I've known since Kindergarten. Take care, ride on. Jesse from East L.A.
    Thank you jcova, I'm sure he's doing wheelies up waiting for the rest of us

Leave a comment:

• jcova58
    replied
    Read your post Ok Jones and my condolences for your loss. In some cases wives and or girlfriends, come and go but your close homeboys are with you forever, even when they've gone to Rider's Heaven. I'm 61 years old now and I still have my buddies that I've known since Kindergarten. Take care, ride on. Jesse from East L.A.

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    For now the roadstar will take a much needed break from being worked on
    I have a honda shadow I just picked up that I managed to pull the engine from, I will be rebuilding it since there was a small knock in the engine, seems like it can be saved
    Click image for larger version

Name:	65646692_691060801339373_137816575586598912_n.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	81853

Name:	65688081_363838400939532_4088481679478358016_n.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	81854

This is my 3rd shadow ace 750, I plan on making it into my off road bike

I also have a 79 xs650 that has been collecting cobwebs in the garage, I plan on making it into a rigid frame bondo chopper
    The plan is to paint it purple, black, and silver with a bride of frankenstein shifter knob that I will sand cast (gotta learn how to do that )
    It will be the mating bike for the roadstar and will be titled "The Bride"

My friend that recently passed away had a suzuki savage 650, his parents told me they would like me to have the bike so I plan on making a tribute chopper with it that he would have enjoyed

My plate is far beyond full, looks like I will have a few projects to work on for years to come

The xs650 is next, I have a donor engine with more spare parts than I can handle, my goal is to get it done by born free 12 in june of 2020
    Then the Shadow 750, it will be a park ranger themed bike for born free 13 in 2021
    After that the savage chopper will come into play for born free 14 in 2022

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied

Name:	67926454_947880075554226_637426455860477952_n.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	81851

Here is a picture of the seat I was working on
    While making it I learned quite a bit
    I didn't realize where the seat would crease (passenger and driver seat contour)
    The foam I used for the pleats was too thin
    I also came to realize punching through several layers of vinyl takes a strong sewing machine

Overall it looks decent for the time being, when I manage to scrape together some money I plan on getting a sailrite sewing machine for future seats

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    So I managed to get most of the crash bar/highway bar done
    I used some 5/16" diamond plate for the mounting plates and a 1" tube for the bar itself
    I now realize why most crash bars have the delrin ends on them, while scooting towards it on my stool to tack the tube in place I managed to slam my kneecap into it leaving a nice slice on there

Name:	67303691_397277810914384_8866106740094009344_n (1).jpg
Views:	179
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	81846Click image for larger version

Name:	67384059_2263046997127099_6367896101357355008_n.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	81847

I managed to find some old metal flake grips to mount on the ends
    I utilized the 4 engine support bolts near the front of the frame to mount the plates I made

I will be ordering some replacement delrin sliders online, I plan on remaking it with heavier duty plate and a bigger tube

I also grabbed these bars at the long beach motorcycle swap meet for only $15

Name:	67377030_931396483919142_6341958540453740544_n.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	81848Click image for larger version

Name:	67885848_218768752341810_8271567920685907968_n.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	81849

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc_V View Post
    Jesus OJ, I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. I can't imagine what that must have been like. My prayers go out to you and his family. Glad to hear you're staying positive, and you're right, God doesn't want us to live in fear. BTW, if you haven't already, time to re-torque your steering head bearings, bleed your brakes, and upgrade to a Roadwing rear shock and Progressive front fork springs. Also, if you still have either Bridgestones or Dunlops, get rid of them and replace with some better rubber. I am a FIRM believer of having a good handling bike, not only for the fun but for the safety. In my book that's more important than performance.

P.S. Sorry I missed this when you posted it. We're here for you bud.
    Thanks Doc, overall God has changed my outlook on life since this all happened, He gives and takes away and I know it was His will that brought my friend to heaven that day.
    I don't know if they have motorcycles in heaven but if they do I'm sure he's got a sweet chopper now.

Since this all happened my motivation to work on the bike has come to a crawl, I've also been spending more time serving others before serving my own needs so progress is on thee backburner at the moment.

I did manage to dial in the speedometer finally, it looks like I had the pickup for it a little too close to the magnets mounted on the rear rotor, I adjusted it out a bit and it works now, just a few mph off but it works.

The seat came out alright, I kinda biffed it when planning so a few things are off but it was a good learning experience for next time

I am currently working on crash bars for the bike, I plan on mounting them to the 4 front engine mount bolts on the downtubes
    I will be using just some 1" tube for the crash bar itself, I figure I can get some matching metal flake grips to put on there
    Pictures coming soon!

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Thanks for the prayers everyone, day by day it is getting better.

Leave a comment:

• Jclevesque
    replied
    Terrible time for you. So sorry for your loss of your friend and riding buddy. Prayers sent to you and your close friends from me and my family. Take care of each other. JC

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    Jesus OJ, I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. I can't imagine what that must have been like. My prayers go out to you and his family. Glad to hear you're staying positive, and you're right, God doesn't want us to live in fear. BTW, if you haven't already, time to re-torque your steering head bearings, bleed your brakes, and upgrade to a Roadwing rear shock and Progressive front fork springs. Also, if you still have either Bridgestones or Dunlops, get rid of them and replace with some better rubber. I am a FIRM believer of having a good handling bike, not only for the fun but for the safety. In my book that's more important than performance.

P.S. Sorry I missed this when you posted it. We're here for you bud.

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by highvoltage View Post
    Overkill Jones, I am reading your post and I was shocked to read about your friend. Certainly there will be prayers from me for his family and friends and for you so you may find comfort and accept that this is "His" will. I agree with you. I don't think God will use this situation to scare you from riding.
    Thank you high voltage, this has been disturbing to say the least but God has been giving me peace about the situation
    Most of my family members did not want me to continue riding but at a time like this riding really gets my mind off everything for a while

Leave a comment:

• highvoltage
    replied
    Overkill Jones, I am reading your post and I was shocked to read about your friend. Certainly there will be prayers from me for his family and friends and for you so you may find comfort and accept that this is "His" will. I agree with you. I don't think God will use this situation to scare you from riding.

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    The trip didn't go as planned and these last few weeks have been rough
    One of my best friends lost control of his bike on our first day of the trip, he went down on the freeway and passed away.
    We cancelled the trip and headed back to san diego the next day
    I've never had someone this close to me pass away so suddenly, it has been an emotional roller coaster but through the situation God has been giving me, his friends, and family, comfort through the difficult times.
    Any prayer for his friends and family is greatly appreciated

As far as riding again, the pastor we talked to the day it happened shared this verse 2 Timothy 1:7
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

I have rode since it happened, I don't believe God used this situation to scare us away from riding, but for me it is a reminder that no one is promised tomorrow and that although I may not fully understand why this has happened at the moment, I know it is because of God's timing and will.

As for the road star, I've fiddled with a few things on it, trying to keep myself busy, nothing major.
    I managed to figure out the wiring for the speedometer, or at least the tachometer portion of it
    The black and yellow tach wire went to the wire that comes off of the ignition pickups
    the diagram says to connect it to the positive lead on the ignition coil itself, for some reason this doesn't work, I traced the wire from the ignition coil back down to the pickup sensor 2 pin connector and spliced it in there and it worked.....kinda
    When the rpms drop down to 1000 or lower the tack needle sweeps over to the right side of the display, over on the 10k spot, when I give it some gas it jumps over to 2k then works as intended until I let off the throttle and it jumps over to 10k again

From what i understand the 1600 engine has the rev limiter set at 4k rpms, I rode until the limiter engaged for a second and saw the tach was at 6k rpms
    so it looks like its reading 2k more rpms than the engine is actually at
    This kinda makes sense as far as the tach needle going to the other side, the tach display goes from 0 to a notch at 1000 then 2 then another notch etc
    If the tach thinks its moving below 1000 it has nowhere to go but backwards,
    I think if i get the right size resistor in there it could potentially get it where it should be?
    I'm not sure but either way at least it kinda works

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    Well that's a bitch. But it looks good. Hope the trip goes smoothly. Post some photos and updates from the road if you can.

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by JeffAzar, 19 hours ago
12 responses
0 likes
Last Post highvoltage  
Started by CarolinaTexan, 3 days ago
12 responses
1 like
Last Post highvoltage