X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overkill jones
    replied
    haha yeah it is pretty rough to deal with all the sunshine out here
    This year has had a lot of rain surprisingly, not too great of a deal for the painting plans but it gives me some time to get some tig welding practice in so i can't complain

Leave a comment:

• zingpow
    commented on 's reply
    san diego...how do you stand yourself...only the best weather on the planet, ocean right there, an hour from the desert and little more to elevations...easiest job on earth, weatherman in san diego..."it's gonna be nice today and tonight, followed by prolonged periods of nice over the next few months and years...tune in again in the near future for updates, it could very possibly become incredibly nice"...

ps...if you live in michigan, why?...weatherman zing...

• Overkill jones
    replied
    I am currently filming all my build progress for the shadow, I will be uploading them to youtube soon along with some road star build progress

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    I've shortened the shifter linkage rod to pull it in a little more, it seems like it sticks out a little too far for my taste
    I will be refilling the acetylene bottle soon so I can finish up the luggage rack/sissy bar
    I plan on welding some large ball bearings to the ends of the luggage rack to prevent any unwanted bungee cord slippage when I end up using it as well as some small loops for bungee anchor points

I am currently looking at aftermarket speedometers and oil pressure gauges to mount behind the fairing

The plan is to get the road star done by june at the latest, there is a motorcycle show in southern CA called "Born free" that me and a few friends ride to every year, the bikes there put all my hard work to shame!
    And by done of course I mean done for now, I would still like to get a better rear shock for it since I still have the stock one on there as well as get some better slightly longer forks to compliment the 19" wheel I've been stalking on ebay

I had a springer fork I was going to put on it but I decided against it, it would fit the look of my old xs650 much better and since my roadstar is currently my daily rider I would like to make it as pot hole resistant as possible

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    So after spending way too much time on a fiberglass king and queen seat pan I decided to go against it, the fiberglass I had in the kit was way too thin and it looked like I would need about 20 layers to get it to the thickness I wanted
    I also imagined scenarios of me bolting the seat pan onto the bike and feeling the embedded nut turn inside the pan, not something I wanna deal with
    I am choosing to make a seat pan from sheet metal, it should take a fair amount of work but I'm confident I will be able to finish it in a day

Hopefully today I can get the mounting brackets welded on to the sissy bar today so I can call the seat pan finished
    I'll keep an eye out for some foam and fabric to start figuring out how to sew to make a new seat

As for the shadow, I got it running with minimal effort, the wire connector for the stator was fried like they always are, I jumped it from the roadstar and she started right up
    A little bit of a weird noise coming from the engine so when I get the new stator in the mail I'll try it again

I've got a pearlized blue base coat on the front fairing along with some metal flake, hopefully I can get a base coat and some flake on the rear fender today also so I can get at least a bit of clear on them

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc_V View Post
    Careful about that; bikes are jealous creatures and fickle that way. My 1600 started acting up when I brought my 1700 home. ...You're bike is looking good, I agree with zing, you've got some talent. I like the paint job on your helmet and chain guard. Is that all rattle can?
    I swear you're dead on with this one, seems like every time I bring home a new one the old ones start acting up
    And thanks! I used a very basic airbrush i got online for $20 and some metal flake
    The most expensive part would be the gallon of clear coat for $60
    I guess it just comes down to too much time on my hands

Leave a comment:

• zingpow
    commented on 's reply
    sounds like my wife taking a bath...zp...

• Doc_V
    replied
    Careful about that; bikes are jealous creatures and fickle that way. My 1600 started acting up when I brought my 1700 home. ...You're bike is looking good, I agree with zing, you've got some talent. I like the paint job on your helmet and chain guard. Is that all rattle can?

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    I plan on getting it running then using it as a daily driver if I ever want to work on the road star, I'll eventually get it looking nice when im done with the xs650 on the back burner, that thing gave me the dirtiest look when I came rolling up on the shadow

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    hahaha he's actually trying to get into riding so I thought this would be a good bike for him to learn on, but he's a stand up guy so I'll make sure he's wearing a helmet at least

Leave a comment:

• zingpow
    commented on 's reply
    been hit on two of them...so you gonna fix this one up and give it to your brother-in-law hoping that, maybe......

• Overkill jones
    replied
    So yesterday I just so happened to be snooping around where I shouldn't (craigslist) and I found a deal I couldn't pass up
    Just around the block from my house someone was selling a 2000 honda shadow 750 ace for only $200
    I tried to contact the guy selling it but he wasn't responding over email, I ended up going to his house since it was literally 1 minute away and I checked it out
    Apparently another guy was coming to look at it and was about an hour late, as the former owner put it "you snooze you lose" and we loaded it up into my truck

I've had 2 in the past that where really reliable fun rides but unfortunately I was hit on both of them and I've been looking for another recently

This one wasn't running, apparently it had an oil leak and it just puttered out and died before sitting in the front yard for a year
    I think it should be an easy fix, if not I can get a new used engine online for about $500 shipped
    The parts alone could get me at least $1000 and I plan on selling most of the oem parts that I would normally replace, i.e. gas tank, headlight, etc to offset the cost of the bike, I should have it running for less than $500

It's quite a bit smaller than my road star but it's water cooled, nimble, and a good beater bike to give the ol roadie a break!

Leave a comment:

• fastjohnny
    commented on 's reply
    that's sweet.

• zingpow
    commented on 's reply
    Everything I do mechanically (and that is damn little) is done in my garage...I keep the cbr in the den during the winter but just clean it...

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by zingpow View Post
    where did you acquire your skills...your attention to detail seems driven yet effortless...do you have a good work area, like maybe a pole barn or are you bare knuckling it out in the garage...nice work in any event...i'd do that kind of work myself but suffer from an old war wound...zp...
    I just started putting motors on bicycles with a friend of mine about 5 years ago and it took off from there, and thank you I try to increase my skills every time I make something.
    I currently work out of half of a garage, not much room for tools but I do my best.

Leave a comment:

• zingpow
    replied
    where did you acquire your skills...your attention to detail seems driven yet effortless...do you have a good work area, like maybe a pole barn or are you bare knuckling it out in the garage...nice work in any event...i'd do that kind of work myself but suffer from an old war wound...zp...

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied

Recently I replaced my oem front brake reservoir/lever with a nissin 5/8" reservoir
    I modified the hole from 7/8" to 1" using an angle grinder and a half round file
    I used a section of tygon tubing as a brake reservoir, some safety wire secures it at the bottom and a brass fitting is used as a plug on the top
    I like the option of being able to adjust the brake lever as well as the feel of it, the old one was either on or off, no in between

I've removed the rear wooden section and replaced it with my stock rear fender
    I welded all the cracks in it and reinforced it with some strips of aluminum
    I epoxied the aluminum strips along the inside of the fender and after that dried I embedded it all in truck bed liner
    I got the idea from another post somewhere and it works
    at first I was going to just weld some steel supports in there but using aluminum makes more sense to me being lighter, all the excess weight along with my super heavy old sissy bar where probably the reason it cracked in the first place

With the rear fender on I was able to make a new sissy bar using some 1/2" and 5/8" crs and my tig welder
    I incorporated a luggage rack on the rear section of it, there's still more finishing to do but until I get some acetylene for my torch that will have to wait

So the weather has been great lately, constantly raining for weeks at a time, then a few days of sunshine, then back to the rain
    I've been mainly sitting in the garage trying to get things painted on the bike

Side covers- welded up a hole/painted
    Belt cover- Painted
    Rear brake reservoir-Painted
    Helmet-Painted

Pearlized blue base coat , I used an airbrush
    "Sea sic blue" metal flake shot dry using the airbrush and a small flake shooter I made
    4 coats of clear
    Opaque black createx airbrush paint for the stencil and taped areas
    2 coats of clear
    Gold leaf details
    2 coats of clear
    Final airbrush details
    2 coats of clear
    Wet and dry sanding
    2 coats of clear

Everything has been coming out pretty good so far, I've attached a picture of my helmet which is the only decent picture I can get with this weather

I'm using a Euro clear and it has it's fair share of orange peel and having to bury that flake is a to sand down but it should be pretty glossy in the end
    I chose to spray the metal flake "dry" (onto the wet pearlized blue base coat) because of the way it shines, it takes more work but I think it will be worth it

Unfortunately it's raining again so it's limiting the work I can do

While it was sunny last week I managed to re make the front and rear tank mounts, it dropped the tank all together about 3 inches and it is now rubber mounted
    When I was trying to lower the tank I remembered why I hadn't mounted it any lower, the petcock was hitting the top engine mount, I had already ordered a back up oem one (engine mount) and had shaved down the stock one somewhat to clear the petcock, but lowering the tank made it impossible to use the lever
    I disassembled it and swapped the lever upside down, it worked but now the positions are just switched on the "reserve" and "off" positions

I had to ensure the tank was in the proper position so I could start making a fiberglass seat pan

I started taping everything off
    Layed down 3 layers of resin and 3 layers of fiberglass, just on the seat pan area
    After that cured I lightly sanded it and applied more layers, tying the sissy bar portion in to the seat pan portion overlapping and crossing
    Tons of fiberglass and resin later and the seat pan is taking shape

Now I just need to wait for it to cure, them remove/ trim it, then drill holes in it/ cut it so i can embed the hardware needed to mount it up to the bike
    I plan on making a king and queen style seat with a back rest for myself, I'm thinking of putting a small pvc pipe in my backrest area as a stash spot so on the next layers of fiberglass that will be decided

I've removed the front fairing and it has a coat of pearlized blue and metal flake on it, waiting to be clear coated, I seriously hate this rain

Leave a comment:

• zingpow
    replied
    did anybody die in the accident?...zing the elder...

ps...now don't go out and buy an effigy of me and start sticking pins in it, "did anybody die in the accident" is what old people say when they get old...my uncle menzo (yes his real name) used it on me a half dozen times chipping away at my adolescent brain cells as i toiled in his yard at $0.10 an hour while building the world's fastest balloon tired bicycle...zp...

pss...i know it's a throwback to the minimalist doctrine but i'll bet if you asked you could find some classic bits and pieces right here on the old rsc...just sayin'...zp...

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by highvoltage View Post
    Sounds like a lot of work but I am sure the end result will justify the hard work. Keep us informed of you progress via pictures. Ride safe, be safe.
    It's always ten times harder than I usually think it will be but that's half the fun of it I guess

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Ret HPD, 11-23-2019, 02:49 PM
23 responses
0 likes
Last Post 2time
by 2time

Started by JD64k, 03-27-2018, 06:39 PM
165 responses
3 likes