X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc_V View Post
    Your rear shock may be completely shot. ...You're not that big, unless you've got lead in your ass. The PO may have done the dogbone flip; that will lower it even with the stock dogbones.
    I think it basically is, feels like im riding around on a spring most of the time
    I'll have to check the dogbones, so far all I've done to the rear suspension is adjust the preload but that didn't do much
    I think a roadwing is the only option, now to just source the parts for under $250....

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    Your rear shock may be completely shot. ...You're not that big, unless you've got lead in your ass. The PO may have done the dogbone flip; that will lower it even with the stock dogbones.

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Yah, Roadwing is a must, especially if you've lowered you bike. Contact Smokescreens here on the site..
    I haven't lowered it yet but i'll blame the slammed look on the baby weight I haven't seem to have lost since I was a baby
    This last week has been a dud as far as working on it, I've had the flu and just had enough energy to start fiddling with the seat
    I'm currently researching how to sew vinyl, hopefully I can get the seat done as well as the final paint done this week

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    Yah, Roadwing is a must, especially if you've lowered you bike. Contact Smokescreens here on the site..

Leave a comment:

• zingpow
    replied
    oj...the rear shock is the first thing to go...guys here make them out of goldwing shocks and call them "roadwings"...i haven't read this entire thread so if someone has already informed you of that kindly disregard this post...zp...

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Hahaha! That's one of the few issues I have with the roadstar, the ground clearance. Although it probably doesn't help that I still have the stock rear suspension on there

Leave a comment:

• zingpow
    commented on 's reply
    That thing was any lower you’d have to fabricate a skid plate for your nuts...zp...

• Overkill jones
    replied
    My buddy got a few pictures of me riding the road star, I need to dye that swingarm bag black already!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	56627502_1775484782553011_5608383533660766208_n.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	66521Click image for larger version

Name:	56601052_1775484015886421_4183220617849339904_n.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	66522

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Coming along nicely. I really like what you got going there; a lot of great details and those bars look cool. Always better to build vs buy.
    Thanks Doc!
    I try to build anything I can, hopefully I can learn to cast parts and possibly use a lathe so I can start making some good parts for these bikes!

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    Coming along nicely. I really like what you got going there; a lot of great details and those bars look cool. Always better to build vs buy.

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    There's an update on the bike, the paint is almost done on it.
    I made some smaller handlebars, i guess you could call them z bars, they work for the time being
    I plan on painting the lower triple tree, handlebars and sissy bar gloss black, I am currently working on a flying eyeball brake light but my acetylene regulator decided to crap out on me.
    Besides finishing the seat the bike should be done for now, I plan on getting a set of sportster forks/trees for the bike, I'd like to get some extended tubes and possibly a 19" front wheel

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jig9SB72IMg

Leave a comment:

• zingpow
    commented on 's reply
    There ya go, and that new helium based paint can shed pounds off your bike if you can’t afford to carbon up...

• Overkill jones
    replied
    just 82 days left until me and some buddies ride up to yosemite, gotta get her done!!

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    So I basically finished the seat pan the other day, progress was halted from running out of argon, The other week I put a wheel chock in the bed of my truck to transport bikes a little easier, it made a perfect cylinder holder

The only things left to do to it is weld a small storage compartment box into the driver's backrest and make a small door to access it, i'm not sure how I would like it to lock so the final stages of that are being decided at the moment

Today i will try to find some foam so I can start shaping it when the time comes, then I guess I have to learn how to sew...

I found some exhaust pipes at a local swap meet, the guy selling them said they came off an evo, the collars look very similar to the ones on road star pipes and they are 1 3/4" just like the roadstar ones as well, I got em for $10 and I guess I will be cutting them up to put on the xv1600

I am almost to the point where I can start painting the rear fender, I will probably line the bottom of the seat with some felt so I can at least start on it, I would just like to do it when the sissy bar and seat wont have to be removed every day to paint it, but every time I have to go to work I have to put everything back on there, I might get the wooden rack I made out of the attic and slap it on for a few days

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by zingpow View Post
    all that is fine but what kind of air do you put in the tires...zing good wrench...

ps...i'm sure if i had a place to work and all the tools and some experience i could build something that resembled a motorcycle...whether it rolled down the street under it's own power is another matter...i can replace a new part for an old one and can even fabricate (i do it in my posts all the time) pieces to connect other fabricated pieces into a replacement part but there is always a clunk or knock that wasn't there before or it overheats to dramatic effect...i do enjoy the efforts of others...i stop and gawk when i see them parked somewhere...i even ask a technical question if the owners are standing around so they know i'm an enthusiast, "say, what kind of air do you put in your tires"...zp...
    I put premium yamaha brand air in there, they say it's better for handling and gives you an added 10hp

I'm gonna have to start using that line, my buddy is new to motorcycle's and get's worried easily, I'm sure he will be crapping his pants when I tell him he's been putting the wrong air in his tires, he's also very gullible so that's a huge plus

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevstephenson7 View Post
    nice work Overkill (there is a good metal song in there i think by Mr Kilminster et al)
    from South Australia
    Thanks! I listen to that song quite a bit when working on my road star

Leave a comment:

• Kevstephenson7
    replied
    nice work Overkill (there is a good metal song in there i think by Mr Kilminster et al)
    from South Australia

Leave a comment:

• zingpow
    replied
    all that is fine but what kind of air do you put in the tires...zing good wrench...

ps...i'm sure if i had a place to work and all the tools and some experience i could build something that resembled a motorcycle...whether it rolled down the street under it's own power is another matter...i can replace a new part for an old one and can even fabricate (i do it in my posts all the time) pieces to connect other fabricated pieces into a replacement part but there is always a clunk or knock that wasn't there before or it overheats to dramatic effect...i do enjoy the efforts of others...i stop and gawk when i see them parked somewhere...i even ask a technical question if the owners are standing around so they know i'm an enthusiast, "say, what kind of air do you put in your tires"...zp...

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    I started making a fiberglass seat pan, it was coming out ok but I guess the fiberglass was just a little too thin, it had about 5 layers on it and the resin was running low
    I could see this type working on something smaller but the amount of resin that came in the kit I got wasn't enough to do something as huge as a king and queen seat.

so I decided to set it aside and make another out of some rusty scrap sheet metal I had laying around

Using a piece of cardboard and a sharpie I made a template for the front seat, I then transferred that design to a piece of sheet metal and cut it out using a 4 1/2" angle grinder
    It was bent to shape and cleaned up with a flap disc

On the top of the rear portion of the seat I put a small bend in it over the fender sub frame bolt to get it closer to the fender and hold it in place while I worked out everything else

I used a ball peen hammer to shape it to the contour of the fender on the rear of the seat pan , it came out decent but I don't have a planishing hammer or an english wheel yet so I chopped it off and just left the hooked area that grabs on to the sub frame bolt (the picture shows it before i tried to shape it

I made the sissy bar seat pan section in the same way, after getting the metal pretty close to the contour of the fender on the bottom I used a sharpie and the fender as a guide to get a pretty close contour to the fender, since the road star fender is curved and most king and queen seats are mounted to flat fenders I wanted to keep that curve at the bottom of the seat.

After that was in place I clamped it to the sissy bar and clamped a small tab to the lower sissy bar support cross bar, after tacking it on I removed the seat pan and welded it in place

After making sure everything still fit I clamped the seat pan back in place and used a punch on the seat pan plate in the center of the tab hole, I drilled it out to fit a m8 1.25 bolt (gotta keep it metric ) I bolted a flanged nut into the inside of the seat pan and welded it in place (carefully....Watch out for those threads!)
    I still have one move tab and nut to weld into place on the top of the sissy bar which I will get done later today

I then cut out the rider's backrest/ storage area using the same method, cardboard template, sheet metal part, welded in place

I wanted to make sure i got a nice back rest in there for myself, I plan on making the back side of it a storage area for tools or gloves and goggles etc

The next step is to get the top tab on the sissy bar welded in, I will then make side panels for the seat out of sheet metal on both the front rider's seat and on the passenger seat/storage area
    I plan on making mounts on the front of the seat pan that will tie in with the existing bottom rear gas tank mount bracket, hopefully it will allow me to pivot the seat forward when all is said and done
    I also plan on making a small collar type cover to hide the rear gas tank mounting bracket/front seat bracket area

As soon as the seat is done I can start painting the rear fender.....I can't wait!

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Father Pobasturd, 2 days ago
28 responses
0 likes
Last Post Father Pobasturd  
Started by roadiemort, 2 days ago
33 responses
0 likes
Last Post roadiemort