Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc_V
    replied
    Well that's a bitch. But it looks good. Hope the trip goes smoothly. Post some photos and updates from the road if you can.

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    So I decided to knock out the clear coat the other day, there must have been too much humidity in the air because the clear began to wrinkle about an hour after spraying it ( my current paint booth is some trash cans out front under a tree that loves to throw leaves)
    Basically the paint on the tank was ruined, the rest of the parts came out good
    As the last bit of sanity left me I began to pick at the clear coat, 2 days before I leave on a trip to yosemite and I went and pulled the ol "shoulda left it alone"
    I picked until most of the clear I sprayed was gone, it hadn't fully cured so it was still somewhat rubbery
    I ended up wet sanding the now ruined design on the tank until it was gone, somehow the wrinkling hadn't got to the metal flake layer!

I sanded and sanded, then sanded more, sanded until my fingers where sore!
    I dusted off the airbrush and went to work, i ended up getting a design on there in a few hours, then sealed it with some clear coat (the weather was much better today)

Click image for larger version

Name:	64322693_681203429007650_8598706650385219584_n.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	75721

Name:	62532136_344819356236140_2471141736202633216_n.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	75722

As you can see my trash can is slowly being flaked

I managed to get everything back on the bike including a new universal speedo/ tach
    I haven't got a chance to test it yet but hopefully it works
    Me and some buddies leave for yosemite at midnight tonight, I still can't believe I was painting the tank the day of our trip

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by El_Mipo View Post
    awesome and creative build.

your Flying Eyeball at your Sissybar is awesome, also the Hamdshifter and generell Paintjob. yim also considering to build myself an 2 in 1 Fishtail exhaust.

I think an 21 Wheel would kill your look.
    Thanks!
    At this point I agree that a 21 wouldn't look right, i plan on swapping out the front end with a sportster one with extended fork tubes and I think a 19" would fit better

Leave a comment:

• El_Mipo
    replied
    awesome and creative build.

your Flying Eyeball at your Sissybar is awesome, also the Hamdshifter and generell Paintjob. yim also considering to build myself an 2 in 1 Fishtail exhaust.

I think an 21 Wheel would kill your look.

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    I am currently hooking up all the wiring for my dash

Name:	61795525_838957396475254_8910570745508134912_n.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	75177

It's got a few more buttons and has been painted but It's currently on the floor waiting for me to figure out where the damn tach wire goes......
    I had this exact problem when i first tried to figure it out, and now I can only remember saying "AAAHAAAA!!!! IT WAS SO OBVIOUS WHERE THIS WIRE GOES!"
    And now I can't remember where it went to save my life.....

I also got a cheap cat face brake light from ebay, I was going to replace my cracked lens dietz one on the fender but i threw it on the license plate mount and it looks cool there so I guess I'm keeping both

Name:	62164996_452515632227983_2693283990281912320_n.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	75178

Found my shifter knob a hat at the thrift store!

Name:	61041459_431541770977005_6108619723245617152_n.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	75179

I actually sought out some tiny sunglasses which I'll put on when I get to Born free, I just have to try and metal flake them first

Being as last minute as I can I am trying to get my marshall oil gauge hooked up before the trip, Hopefully I can find the fittings I need in town

We leave wednesday and I haven't got a single thing packed, instead I decided to check my build thread in hopes that I posted where that stinkin tach wire went somewhere on here but no luck of course, then I decided to update the thread....

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Well shoot, the time has gone by fast!
    Me and some friends are heading out from san diego to yosemite in 3 days
    The bike still isn't done.....

Name:	62134961_2468598913171117_2847565928588115968_n.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	75170

But I have got a lot done I guess
    I got a few more layers of clear coat on the tank, rear fender, side covers, tank, and fairing
    I will be wet sanding it one last time then a final clear coat layer
    I also got a new front tire for the trip and checked all the regular maintenance stuff

As you can see I managed to modify the pipes I had on there, I found a 2 into 1 exhaust tip at the swap meet along with a fishtail tip muffler
    I shortened the muffler and removed the baffle, I can feel a substantial difference in power especially in mid range, it lowered the sound down a little too which is useful around cops but it still has a mean grown when accelerating and on decel.
    Here you can see the original length then after it was shortened

Name:	62140244_1044887005696907_2922823105757839360_n.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	75171

Name:	60685638_839442013090610_3741442085669044224_n.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	75172

the 2 into 1 isnt the best looking but it works for $2 and I got some welding practice out of it too, that thin stuff isn't so bad now

I wrapped it in some cheap "titanium" wrap I got on ebay, I got the 2" on accident, I should have got the 1" for tighter wrapping but you live and you learn
    If you decide to wrap your exhaust make sure you soak it first!

I also got around to working on my seat cover, I got a singer fashion mate from walmart for $150, it was barely able to handle the thin marine I was using but it worked I guess
    I went with a diamond stitch and horizontal pleat pattern
    I covered the entire seat in duct tape, then used a sharpie to mark out the seams, I made a top piece which got the pleats, then several side covers

To get the pattern on top I cut out the vinyl quite a bit bigger than it needed to be, then I cut out a piece of 1/2" foam the same size, as well as another piece of fabric to go under the foam, i cant recall the name of it but i know it is the same material pillow cases are made of, it's there to secure the foam to the vinyl when sewing a pattern
    I sewed a long strip of vinyl to the tube edging, then started lining things up and sewing them together

Name:	62353655_2342484482660000_7231373184291831808_n.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	75173

Overall, it came out somewhat crappy, when i made the templates they might have been a bit off, or maybe it was just because I don't really know what I'm doing, but either way the back rest came out crooked, the top pleats where almost flat since I had to stretch the side pieces around to get rid of wrinkles, all sorts of mess that i didn't think of, but you can be sure I'll remember it next time i make a seat!

It looks decent, but I know I can make one better, I'll have to upload pictures of it later since it isn't on the bike at the moment, at least it's comfy, this trip is around 1700 miles and I needed a good saddle!

Name:	62371016_603548683473223_5612645451183423488_n.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	75174

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by GrapeApe View Post
    Niiice ride!! Love the evolution it's gone through! Much respect for ur hard work and detail in describing it is awesome!
    Thanks man! It's been one of my favorite builds so far
    Hopefully i can get the seat done and get some exhaust pipes built soon

Leave a comment:

• GrapeApe
    commented on 's reply
    Dig the mold and cut of that king/queen seat!! And the custom traveller sissy turned out awesome!!!

• GrapeApe
    replied
    Niiice ride!! Love the evolution it's gone through! Much respect for ur hard work and detail in describing it is awesome!

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc_V View Post
    I'm digging that sissy bar. The king and queen seat is looking good too. Looks comfy.
    Thanks! The back rest is proving to be pretty comfortable so far!

Here are some switches to add:

Click image for larger versionName:	1964_AstonMartin_DB5JamesBond7.jpgViews:	5Size:	140.2 KBID:	69661
    I have thought about this kind of stuff for such a long time, being cut off or nearly killed by drivers had me dreaming of ways to mount an oil slick or caltrop system on my bike but I'll leave that to 007, Until then having a vest pocket full of change works

I've always wanted to mount a flame thrower or smoke screen exhaust kit on a bike, being able to label a rocker switch "smoke" or "flamethrower" might be just enough of a valid excuse to do it....

Leave a comment:

• Brad_G
    commented on 's reply
    Takes me back to my dirt track racing days. Something about the feel of reaching up and flipping those switches.

• Doc_V
    replied
    Actually, here are a couple cool options:

Name:	s-l1000.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	69831

If you don't have space for that:

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	69832

or this... I liek this one best:

Name:	4353f5b9-0d85-b1fe-ec5f-1128cabdddfd.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	69833

Leave a comment:

• zingpow
    commented on 's reply
    doc, it needs a switch that says "i fart in your general direction"...zing python...

• Doc_V
    replied
    I'm digging that sissy bar. The king and queen seat is looking good too. Looks comfy. Here are some switches to add:

Click image for larger versionName:	1964_AstonMartin_DB5JamesBond7.jpgViews:	5Size:	140.2 KBID:	69661
    Last edited by Doc_V; 04-30-2019, 02:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zingpow
    replied
    i put risers on mine and feel like jesse james just handcrafted a $150,000.00 work of art...zing goodwrench...

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    This week I also plan to get a dashboard made to hold the speedo/tach I got
    I will upload a wiring diagram once I am done so if anyone else decides to get one they can wire it up a little easier than I did (the instructions it came with was a complete joke
    On the dash I plan on mounting a few switches also, I currently have the starter and headlight switches on the side cover but i will probably put ones for them on the dash as well, I love the cockpit look, the more switches up there the better.
    I also plan on ordering a marshall oil pressure gauge that I will mount on there as well along with an ashtray and possibly a cigarette lighter
    I will most likely mount a rocker switch labeled "stealth" to turn the all the lights on and off as well

Can anyone think of any other switches that I could mount up there?
    If I had an air ride system I would for sure put the controls up there, or even the roadwing shock rap adjuster, that would be cool to have up there also

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied

Name:	1a3.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	69572
    Here is a picture of the bars, finally painted although I might make some different ones soon, You can also see the grips i dyed here, I used a recipe for rit dye for a color to match my bike but it came out a blueish color, Hopefully I can try again with some new grips and get the color right

Name:	1aaa.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	69573

Name:	1a2.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	69574

I painted the sissy bar gloss black and painted the flying eye with a satin clear coat

Name:	1a4.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	69575

Here is a decent shot of the king and queen seat in progress, for not it is just wrapped in felt so I can test ride it and see how the foam is going to feel, I think im going to remove the felt and add a thin layer of dense foam (yoga mat) on the top then start working on the marine vinyl cover

Name:	1aa.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	69576

Here is the bike along with my friend's suzuki s50, out riding in the canyon near my house

This week I plan on getting the seat pretty much done, I recently started tearing apart a honda shadow 750 I got for $200, I'm trying to make room in the garage for my other project I will start working on soon, the 1979 xs650

Once the xs650 is done I'll probably go for the sportster fork swap on the roadstar, I can't wait to get her leaned back

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    I knew someone would use that smiley haha

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Overkill jones
    replied
    So I finally got around to working on the road star
    I cleaned the welds on the bars and painted them with about 6 coats of cheap gloss black spray paint
    I cleaned and painted the frame in various spots as well as the shifter lever and most of the brackets on the bike
    I ended up swapping the brake reservoir back to the stock one, the nissin style one was cool but they cap I used for the tube reservoir would leak every so often from being moved around from putting my bike cover on or from the fluid expanding as the day heated up, wasn't worth it to me to ruin the paint I had just worked so hard on so for now it's on the back burner
    I made a pretty slick flying eyeball brake light from some scrap steel I picked up at a metal yard and a cool honeycomb indicator light

I think the next task is to just get the seat done, I don't currently have a sewing machine and I've been fighting with myself whether or not I should just make a seat cover for it and take it to a shop to sew it, so far I've done everything on my bike myself and I would really like to finish it that way although it might not turn out that way since the motorcycle show/trip I'm going on is only about a month away

Today I plan on at least getting a few more things welded on the sissy bar so I can get it painted. I also got a universal speedo/tach set up which I bought online, I have all the wires figured out i just want to make a small dashboard behind my fairing to hold it along with some buttons and switches.
    I'll get some pictures when the weather clears up

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Father Pobasturd, 2 days ago
28 responses
0 likes
Last Post Father Pobasturd  
Started by roadiemort, 2 days ago
33 responses
0 likes