No announcement yet.

2003 Roadstar 1600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where did you acquire your skills...your attention to detail seems driven yet effortless...do you have a good work area, like maybe a pole barn or are you bare knuckling it out in the garage...nice work in any event...i'd do that kind of work myself but suffer from an old war wound...zp...

Comment

Originally posted by zingpow View Post
      where did you acquire your skills...your attention to detail seems driven yet effortless...do you have a good work area, like maybe a pole barn or are you bare knuckling it out in the garage...nice work in any event...i'd do that kind of work myself but suffer from an old war wound...zp...
      I just started putting motors on bicycles with a friend of mine about 5 years ago and it took off from there, and thank you I try to increase my skills every time I make something.
      I currently work out of half of a garage, not much room for tools but I do my best.

Comment

• zingpow
        zingpow commented
        Editing a comment
        Everything I do mechanically (and that is damn little) is done in my garage...I keep the cbr in the den during the winter but just clean it...

So yesterday I just so happened to be snooping around where I shouldn't (craigslist) and I found a deal I couldn't pass up
      Just around the block from my house someone was selling a 2000 honda shadow 750 ace for only $200
      I tried to contact the guy selling it but he wasn't responding over email, I ended up going to his house since it was literally 1 minute away and I checked it out
      Apparently another guy was coming to look at it and was about an hour late, as the former owner put it "you snooze you lose" and we loaded it up into my truck

I've had 2 in the past that where really reliable fun rides but unfortunately I was hit on both of them and I've been looking for another recently

This one wasn't running, apparently it had an oil leak and it just puttered out and died before sitting in the front yard for a year
      I think it should be an easy fix, if not I can get a new used engine online for about $500 shipped
      The parts alone could get me at least $1000 and I plan on selling most of the oem parts that I would normally replace, i.e. gas tank, headlight, etc to offset the cost of the bike, I should have it running for less than $500

It's quite a bit smaller than my road star but it's water cooled, nimble, and a good beater bike to give the ol roadie a break!

Comment

• zingpow
        zingpow commented
        Editing a comment
        been hit on two of them...so you gonna fix this one up and give it to your brother-in-law hoping that, maybe......

hahaha he's actually trying to get into riding so I thought this would be a good bike for him to learn on, but he's a stand up guy so I'll make sure he's wearing a helmet at least

Comment

I plan on getting it running then using it as a daily driver if I ever want to work on the road star, I'll eventually get it looking nice when im done with the xs650 on the back burner, that thing gave me the dirtiest look when I came rolling up on the shadow

Comment

Careful about that; bikes are jealous creatures and fickle that way. My 1600 started acting up when I brought my 1700 home. ...You're bike is looking good, I agree with zing, you've got some talent. I like the paint job on your helmet and chain guard. Is that all rattle can?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_V View Post
            Careful about that; bikes are jealous creatures and fickle that way. My 1600 started acting up when I brought my 1700 home. ...You're bike is looking good, I agree with zing, you've got some talent. I like the paint job on your helmet and chain guard. Is that all rattle can?
            I swear you're dead on with this one, seems like every time I bring home a new one the old ones start acting up
            And thanks! I used a very basic airbrush i got online for $20 and some metal flake
            The most expensive part would be the gallon of clear coat for $60
            I guess it just comes down to too much time on my hands

Comment

So after spending way too much time on a fiberglass king and queen seat pan I decided to go against it, the fiberglass I had in the kit was way too thin and it looked like I would need about 20 layers to get it to the thickness I wanted
              I also imagined scenarios of me bolting the seat pan onto the bike and feeling the embedded nut turn inside the pan, not something I wanna deal with
              I am choosing to make a seat pan from sheet metal, it should take a fair amount of work but I'm confident I will be able to finish it in a day

Hopefully today I can get the mounting brackets welded on to the sissy bar today so I can call the seat pan finished
              I'll keep an eye out for some foam and fabric to start figuring out how to sew to make a new seat

As for the shadow, I got it running with minimal effort, the wire connector for the stator was fried like they always are, I jumped it from the roadstar and she started right up
              A little bit of a weird noise coming from the engine so when I get the new stator in the mail I'll try it again

I've got a pearlized blue base coat on the front fairing along with some metal flake, hopefully I can get a base coat and some flake on the rear fender today also so I can get at least a bit of clear on them

Comment

I've shortened the shifter linkage rod to pull it in a little more, it seems like it sticks out a little too far for my taste
                I will be refilling the acetylene bottle soon so I can finish up the luggage rack/sissy bar
                I plan on welding some large ball bearings to the ends of the luggage rack to prevent any unwanted bungee cord slippage when I end up using it as well as some small loops for bungee anchor points

I am currently looking at aftermarket speedometers and oil pressure gauges to mount behind the fairing

The plan is to get the road star done by june at the latest, there is a motorcycle show in southern CA called "Born free" that me and a few friends ride to every year, the bikes there put all my hard work to shame!
                And by done of course I mean done for now, I would still like to get a better rear shock for it since I still have the stock one on there as well as get some better slightly longer forks to compliment the 19" wheel I've been stalking on ebay

I had a springer fork I was going to put on it but I decided against it, it would fit the look of my old xs650 much better and since my roadstar is currently my daily rider I would like to make it as pot hole resistant as possible

Comment

I am currently filming all my build progress for the shadow, I will be uploading them to youtube soon along with some road star build progress

Comment

• zingpow
                    zingpow commented
                    Editing a comment
                    san diego...how do you stand yourself...only the best weather on the planet, ocean right there, an hour from the desert and little more to elevations...easiest job on earth, weatherman in san diego..."it's gonna be nice today and tonight, followed by prolonged periods of nice over the next few months and years...tune in again in the near future for updates, it could very possibly become incredibly nice"...

ps...if you live in michigan, why?...weatherman zing...

haha yeah it is pretty rough to deal with all the sunshine out here
                  This year has had a lot of rain surprisingly, not too great of a deal for the painting plans but it gives me some time to get some tig welding practice in so i can't complain

Comment

I started making a fiberglass seat pan, it was coming out ok but I guess the fiberglass was just a little too thin, it had about 5 layers on it and the resin was running low
                    I could see this type working on something smaller but the amount of resin that came in the kit I got wasn't enough to do something as huge as a king and queen seat.

so I decided to set it aside and make another out of some rusty scrap sheet metal I had laying around

Using a piece of cardboard and a sharpie I made a template for the front seat, I then transferred that design to a piece of sheet metal and cut it out using a 4 1/2" angle grinder
                    It was bent to shape and cleaned up with a flap disc

On the top of the rear portion of the seat I put a small bend in it over the fender sub frame bolt to get it closer to the fender and hold it in place while I worked out everything else

I used a ball peen hammer to shape it to the contour of the fender on the rear of the seat pan , it came out decent but I don't have a planishing hammer or an english wheel yet so I chopped it off and just left the hooked area that grabs on to the sub frame bolt (the picture shows it before i tried to shape it

I made the sissy bar seat pan section in the same way, after getting the metal pretty close to the contour of the fender on the bottom I used a sharpie and the fender as a guide to get a pretty close contour to the fender, since the road star fender is curved and most king and queen seats are mounted to flat fenders I wanted to keep that curve at the bottom of the seat.

After that was in place I clamped it to the sissy bar and clamped a small tab to the lower sissy bar support cross bar, after tacking it on I removed the seat pan and welded it in place

After making sure everything still fit I clamped the seat pan back in place and used a punch on the seat pan plate in the center of the tab hole, I drilled it out to fit a m8 1.25 bolt (gotta keep it metric ) I bolted a flanged nut into the inside of the seat pan and welded it in place (carefully....Watch out for those threads!)
                    I still have one move tab and nut to weld into place on the top of the sissy bar which I will get done later today

I then cut out the rider's backrest/ storage area using the same method, cardboard template, sheet metal part, welded in place

I wanted to make sure i got a nice back rest in there for myself, I plan on making the back side of it a storage area for tools or gloves and goggles etc

The next step is to get the top tab on the sissy bar welded in, I will then make side panels for the seat out of sheet metal on both the front rider's seat and on the passenger seat/storage area
                    I plan on making mounts on the front of the seat pan that will tie in with the existing bottom rear gas tank mount bracket, hopefully it will allow me to pivot the seat forward when all is said and done
                    I also plan on making a small collar type cover to hide the rear gas tank mounting bracket/front seat bracket area

As soon as the seat is done I can start painting the rear fender.....I can't wait!

Comment

all that is fine but what kind of air do you put in the tires...zing good wrench...

ps...i'm sure if i had a place to work and all the tools and some experience i could build something that resembled a motorcycle...whether it rolled down the street under it's own power is another matter...i can replace a new part for an old one and can even fabricate (i do it in my posts all the time) pieces to connect other fabricated pieces into a replacement part but there is always a clunk or knock that wasn't there before or it overheats to dramatic effect...i do enjoy the efforts of others...i stop and gawk when i see them parked somewhere...i even ask a technical question if the owners are standing around so they know i'm an enthusiast, "say, what kind of air do you put in your tires"...zp...

Comment

nice work Overkill (there is a good metal song in there i think by Mr Kilminster et al)
                        from South Australia

Comment

Originally posted by Kevstephenson7 View Post
                          nice work Overkill (there is a good metal song in there i think by Mr Kilminster et al)
                          from South Australia
                          Thanks! I listen to that song quite a bit when working on my road star

Comment

Originally posted by zingpow View Post
                            all that is fine but what kind of air do you put in the tires...zing good wrench...

ps...i'm sure if i had a place to work and all the tools and some experience i could build something that resembled a motorcycle...whether it rolled down the street under it's own power is another matter...i can replace a new part for an old one and can even fabricate (i do it in my posts all the time) pieces to connect other fabricated pieces into a replacement part but there is always a clunk or knock that wasn't there before or it overheats to dramatic effect...i do enjoy the efforts of others...i stop and gawk when i see them parked somewhere...i even ask a technical question if the owners are standing around so they know i'm an enthusiast, "say, what kind of air do you put in your tires"...zp...
                            I put premium yamaha brand air in there, they say it's better for handling and gives you an added 10hp

I'm gonna have to start using that line, my buddy is new to motorcycle's and get's worried easily, I'm sure he will be crapping his pants when I tell him he's been putting the wrong air in his tires, he's also very gullible so that's a huge plus

Comment

• zingpow
                              zingpow commented
                              Editing a comment
                              There ya go, and that new helium based paint can shed pounds off your bike if you can’t afford to carbon up...

So I basically finished the seat pan the other day, progress was halted from running out of argon, The other week I put a wheel chock in the bed of my truck to transport bikes a little easier, it made a perfect cylinder holder

The only things left to do to it is weld a small storage compartment box into the driver's backrest and make a small door to access it, i'm not sure how I would like it to lock so the final stages of that are being decided at the moment

Today i will try to find some foam so I can start shaping it when the time comes, then I guess I have to learn how to sew...

I found some exhaust pipes at a local swap meet, the guy selling them said they came off an evo, the collars look very similar to the ones on road star pipes and they are 1 3/4" just like the roadstar ones as well, I got em for $10 and I guess I will be cutting them up to put on the xv1600

I am almost to the point where I can start painting the rear fender, I will probably line the bottom of the seat with some felt so I can at least start on it, I would just like to do it when the sissy bar and seat wont have to be removed every day to paint it, but every time I have to go to work I have to put everything back on there, I might get the wooden rack I made out of the attic and slap it on for a few days

Comment

just 82 days left until me and some buddies ride up to yosemite, gotta get her done!!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jig9SB72IMg

Comment

There's an update on the bike, the paint is almost done on it.
                                  I made some smaller handlebars, i guess you could call them z bars, they work for the time being
                                  I plan on painting the lower triple tree, handlebars and sissy bar gloss black, I am currently working on a flying eyeball brake light but my acetylene regulator decided to crap out on me.
                                  Besides finishing the seat the bike should be done for now, I plan on getting a set of sportster forks/trees for the bike, I'd like to get some extended tubes and possibly a 19" front wheel

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                  Started by manser64, 03-09-2018, 12:45 PM
                                  23 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post ItBeMe
                                  by ItBeMe

Started by Overkill jones, 02-26-2018, 08:58 AM
                                  95 responses
                                  1 like
                                  Last Post Overkill jones  
                                  Started by AR. Hillbilly, 12 hours ago
                                  2 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post cike
                                  by cike

Started by moespeeds, 1 day ago
                                  6 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Bikerron  
                                  Started by JeffAzar, 1 day ago
                                  14 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Bones
                                  by Bones

Started by Herrindude, 5 hours ago
                                  1 response
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post cike
                                  by cike

Started by roadiemort, 15 hours ago
                                  24 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post roadiemort  
                                  Started by TEXenvy, 1 day ago
                                  19 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Lug Nut
                                  by Lug Nut

Started by jdhard0341, 4 weeks ago
                                  16 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post davej
                                  by davej

Started by expatelectric, 03-15-2018, 11:38 PM
                                  10 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post cromwell  
                                  Started by Father Pobasturd, 05-24-2019, 02:51 PM
                                  760 responses
                                  1 like
                                  Last Post JoeBloShmo  
                                  Started by CarolinaTexan, 4 days ago
                                  12 responses
                                  1 like
                                  Last Post highvoltage  
                                  Started by Ivan Hannah, 2 days ago
                                  13 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Chromepony  
                                  Pics by NCB