No announcement yet.

Martial Law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunate news. My condolences to you and his family.
    I will not apologize for being white, being straight or for loving this country.

Comment

hiya you lot!

not been around for a while, so thought i´d give the opportunity to fill you in on what is going on over this side of the pond.

we´ve been under national quarantine for the last week and a half. all branches of the police (guardia civil, policía nacional, and policía local) are keeping an eye on people going out for non essential reasons. you get caught and it´s a fine STARTING at 600 euros - this is being taken VERY seriously!

the number of cases and the death toll here is high. part of this could be with one of the highest age expectancies in the west, we have a lot of older people. there have been cases of private nursing homes having the staff just bugger off and leaving the residents there to fend for themselves. there is going to be some serious reckoning for those people when this ends.

the epicenter (Madrid) is 50kms from where i am now. the crematoriums are full and now any bodies are being transported to the ice rink on the edge of the city for storage. the main exhibition center (IFEMA) is being converted by the army and health service to an emergency hospital for the hundreds of cases there are.

the private medical companies here have all opened their doors of their hospitals and clinics to anyone affected regardless of if they have private medical or not free of charge.

a friend of ours (a surgeon) got a positive, and has self isolated. she´s ok, and luckily has a mild case. she has said that the official numbers do not reflect the reality, as they are only the known cases, and as yet general testing is a long way off.

when the quarantine was announced, i was up north working and had to come back down the next day. it was really wierd. the route i took was the main arterial route to the north west of spain and is always congested. in the 500kms going home, i saw maybe 1 car every 5-10 minutes and had about 4 cars overtake me. this was motorway all the way…...and was like being in a zombie movie!. was a relaxing journey though due to the lack of frigging awful spanish drivers!

the shops here have stocks, but not as much on the shelves as normal. for some reason TP seems to be in demand here as well, which is strange as every house here has a bidet, so really it´s not a problem.

my father (88) is isolated in his house out in the sticks due to wrecking his car 3 weeks back, so really that was a blessing in diguise! he´s got stocks of food, heating oil, a shit ton of books, internet and cable TV, so he´s happy and he doesn´t see anyone up where he is, so he´s safe and happy.

as for me, the wife and kids, we´re doing our thing and keeping our heads down. low stress levels, the missus can work from home, and i have the inevitable `honeydo´ jobs to be getting on with. the kids have got their school work online from the teachers, so we´re just getting on with it.

now i´ve read online about various conspiracy theories with this, and......well…...it´s bullshit. this is something serious and trancends party politics. just looking at the rest of the world shows that, and it is not something to take lightly. the fatality rate is higher than flu, and it has spread like wildfire, and here in spain is causing a lot of deaths.

stay away from the bullshit, follow extra hygene dicipline, don´t go out into groups, limit time out, and we´ll get out the other side of this with most of us alive.

it´s a time to let common sense prevail.

Comment

• Flashback
        Flashback commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn hedgehog, good to here from you!! and glad your managing..Our omnipotent POTUS says we will be back in business by Eostre ..

Today my wife and I got up at 5AM for senior day at the grocery store. We really needed some toilet paper.
      We got there 20 minutes before the store opened and there was a line of about 20 people already.
      My wife went in and was able to get a package of toilet paper and she bought a carton of eggs.
      We felt very lucky to get the two items were were low on. She wore gloves and we wiped the packages down with alcohol
      and then threw away the disposable gloves.

Comment

I am center of Cali to and if the rain would clear for a while it would be nice. Most of life is normal for me (drive truck locally). But my wife is working from home and kids are off school. My heart goes out to every one whos on hard times or facing tragedy right now. I deliver all over the 559 area code and it seems alot of people just dont care at this point. Roads are more congested the last few days and alot of people are practicing social distancing but just as many arent. Curious what the next weeks bring here in cali.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Kenkaman, 5 hours ago
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Ahodge75  
        Started by Cubo55, 04-20-2020, 09:24 PM
        71 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Cubo55