Announcement

Collapse

Flagging spam

if you see a spam post, don't reply or comment on it. Just flag it. We get those flag reports and take action. That action is pretty simple. If the post is obviously spam we delete and then check few boxes to delete all other posts by that user and ban them permanently. If the post is questionable as spam then we can suspend the user and then send them a message to work it out.
So when it doubt - Flag The Post
See more
See less

Visiting California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnrocks
    replied
    Gotta try Alices as long as I can get anything I want!

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnrocks View Post
    Im cool with twisty roads, momma on the other hand isnt a big fan and will be antsy to get to SF once we take off from SC. Im guessing you're talkin rt 236 into the park off 9 and continue on through to 9 further north to 35...... Tempting.
    How is the homeless situation in SF? All over or certain areas, aggressive
    Yep, that's the route. From 35, head north and stop at Alice's, then head west on 84 back down to the coast. When you get to the coast, take Hwy 1 the rest of the way to San Francisco. There area number of good places for lunch along the way. Alice's if good, or you can stop in Half Moon Bay at the Ritz Carlton if you want to splurge.

Leave a comment:

• Ahodge75
    commented on 's reply
    I still have family in the area and they say it’s pretty bad. I haven’t been back for about 5 years but even then they were everywhere. You’ll see them around Ghirardelli and fisherman’s wharf area for sure. Last time I was there with the family they weren’t aggressive that I saw, just pretty much everywhere you go. And according to my who still lives down there the reports in the news of needles and human waste is not exaggerated.

• Johnrocks
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeBloShmo View Post

Check out the Mystery Spot near Santa Cruz.
    Looks fun, quirky, step daughter will enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• Johnrocks
    replied
    Im cool with twisty roads, momma on the other hand isnt a big fan and will be antsy to get to SF once we take off from SC. Im guessing you're talkin rt 236 into the park off 9 and continue on through to 9 further north to 35...... Tempting.
    How is the homeless situation in SF? All over or certain areas, aggressive

Leave a comment:

• Ahodge75
    replied
    As a kid I spent pretty much every summer in the Bay Area. Parents grew up in Richmond and grand parents lived there. It’s hard not to do the touristy thing in San Fran. Ghirardelli Sq is cool, Lombard street is neat, of course the Golden Gate Bridge is a must, Pier 39 fisherman’s wharf area I s neat get some fresh baked sourdough bread amazing, and one thing I think is a must and I’ve done several times is Alcatraz. It’s very interesting but you need to get tickets early, I’ve been through it several times and done the bay cruise that goes under the Golden gate and around Alcatraz. I know that’s the touristy stuff but it’s worth it.

Just becareful of the homeless situation!

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    How are you with driving *super* twisty roads? If you're OK with it, I can give you a good route to take through Big Basin North to SF.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBloShmo
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnrocks View Post
    Unfortunately we wont be in our bike. Flying out and renting a car. I figured Id jump in the water in Santa Barbara as thats as far south as Im going to get, gotta be at least a lttle warmer than Santa Cruz. We plan on taking 101 to San Luis Obispo then 1 up the coast to San Simeon on Sunday. Monday wander on up to Santa Cruz going thru Capitola. Big Basin Redwood park looks cool. Wed we head for Frisco.
    Im stoked about this trip even though I wont be on my Roadie.
    Check out the Mystery Spot near Santa Cruz.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBloShmo
    commented on 's reply
    As a California born person I 100% agree with this. I want to leave but the climate and seasons makes it hard.

• Johnrocks
    replied
    Unfortunately we wont be in our bike. Flying out and renting a car. I figured Id jump in the water in Santa Barbara as thats as far south as Im going to get, gotta be at least a lttle warmer than Santa Cruz. We plan on taking 101 to San Luis Obispo then 1 up the coast to San Simeon on Sunday. Monday wander on up to Santa Cruz going thru Capitola. Big Basin Redwood park looks cool. Wed we head for Frisco.
    Im stoked about this trip even though I wont be on my Roadie.

Leave a comment:

• Doc_V
    replied
    There is some seriously *good* riding in the redwoods between Santa Cruz and San Francisco. Some of my favorite stomping grounds. Hell, I may even have to meet up with you and ride to SF. While you're in Santa Cruz, be sure to cruise along West Cliff Drive and back, then head over to the pier and ride down to the end, get off your bike and walk the last 50 yards to the end of the pier and you'll see some seals in their natural habitat; lazily sleeping on the beams and swimming through the pilings. Also check out Capitola; it's like a little Mediterranean village on the ocean. You can do all that in an afternoon, Avoid the freeways as much as possible.

Leave a comment:

• MikeyC
    replied
    Redwoods are far north, Eureka and Crescent City but beautiful. Pacific water is coooooold!!!! But if your from the midwest you gotta do it man, hike'um up and just do it! If your driving up the coast you will run into things to see, especially around San Francisco.

Leave a comment:

• Derailed75
    replied
    Been a real long time since I have been there (97) but I spent 3 years in the Navy in Lemoore. I really really enjoyed Cali. You can not ask for a land mass to give you more. Huge mountains, sunny and dry, snow and wet. It really does have it all as long as you dont have to pay taxes or deal with their political climate. Enjoy your time there and if you have never seen Redwoods or Sequoias find a park that has some.

Leave a comment:

• Johnrocks
    started a topic Visiting California

Visiting California

Cleveland boy headed to California 1st week in August. We are attending conference in Santa Barbara 1-4 then drive up coast, 1 night in Sa Simeon then through Big Sur, Monterey, staying in Santa Cruz 2 days then on to San Francisco Wed & Thurs fly back to Cleveland on Friday.

Looking for insider input for sights, food, lodging, weather, what to avoid. She wants to see seals & Ghirardelli Sq. I wanna swim in the Pacific & see redwoods. We both hate crowds & tourist typical but some if that is unavoidable I know. Any input would be appreciated

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by roadiemort, 2 hours ago
11 responses
0 likes
Last Post roadiemort  
Started by jcova58, 2 hours ago
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post jcova58
by jcova58