Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to North Carolina, pros and cons, help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to North Carolina, pros and cons, help!!

So my situation is this...
    I work in NYC as a union construction worker, making very decent money, however, 430am departure and coming home 530pm plus most Saturday's is starting to take a toll on me and my family. I feel the last 10 years have gone by and I'm not sure where they went. Sure I can stay here and get a full pension and annuity and full benefits, etc. Or, move to clean air, better quality of life and spend time with my family... making a ton less money I'm sure.
    Has anyone here done a life changing move or anyone in the Pinehurst NC area to convince me to do it?

Any where near the smoky mountains is where I would go.

Comment

TEX, the issue is QUALITY OF LIFE. What life do you want? You can stay there, and work all the rest of it the same as you have been doing... for all that you just explained you will end up with. Is that what you want? You only get this one shot at it. NC is a truly lovely state in much or most areas. Southern living is very different, and can be very appealing. Would you want that? You certainly do no harm by asking, and, I, for one, would make that leap and get away from NYC as soon as I could, but there's no way I could make that decision for you... Cities just ain't for me.

I'll add... Southern living is at half the speed of life up here in the NE, and I LOVE when I get below the Mason-Dixon, and can feel the pace slowing down to a more easy and relaxed pace. Keep this up, and I'll have talked myself into leaving!!!

Comment

Quit our jobs, left Ft Worth for good in Sept of 89 with no jobs, but a place to live that we pre-paid 6 months in advance. Small NM town with 99 PO boxes. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, ALL cities SUCK!! So glad Garrett was able to grow up here & so is he.

Comment

Lived in Goldsboro for over 20 years. Not all that bad, kinda in the middle of the state. Decent weather, can ride pretty much most of the year. There are cold days, but they don't last for months on end. Helmet laws, gotta wear one.
          How much longer until retirement? that would also be something to consider as if it's not too far away, who's to say you can't move then?
          "Do or do not, there is no try."

Comment

There's really only one consideration here. It's good that you work hard to support your family. But all the money in the world won't buy you the chance to watch your kids grow up. You only get one shot at that. Once squandered it can never be regained. There's nothing material you can give them that is more valuable than your time. Greed will rob you of light and life every chance it gets. Where do your priorities lie? Are you selfish or nurturing? Many people know the true nature of themselves, but sometimes it's so ugly that they avoid confronting it. The fact is, there are some issues that can't be solved by throwing money at them. Once you really understand that, the choice is simple. I wish you all the luck in making this decision. It's not easy.

Comment

Wow! Fr.Po, that hit me hard!
              There's nothing material you can give them that is more valuable than your time. Greed will rob you of light and life every chance it gets.
              I wouldn't necessarily say I am greedy, BUT, I am truly stuck in the so called rat race here in NY, trying to make very cent possible or it will go to next body in line....
              As far as retirement, it's 17yrs away, my daughter would be grown and living her own life and I may miss it all.

Comment

• TimB
                TimB commented
                Editing a comment
                Just remember, only a rat can win the rat race. GET OUT!!!

• Horsehammerr
                Horsehammerr commented
                Editing a comment
                I picked Stoneridge Missouri 31 years ago. It's where the Beverly Hillbillies came from. They made a BAD mistake leaving the natural PEACE.

I agree with FB! I lived in Va. for the first 20 yrs, then moved to NC for the next 25 yrs. Ended up just across the state line in SC. I would suggest that you look into SC! Cost of living is cheaper (property tax's , gas, ect.). I can be in Charlotte in 15 min. if needed for something that can't be found here. The pace is for sure slower, crime is lower, school class rooms are smaller, fishing lakes are everywhere and you can ride 90% of the year!!!!
              Good luck with what ever your decision is!

Comment

Very impressive FP, you are so right on what I've been throughout my life so far.
                TEXenvy, I can relate to your situation and feel that it is all up to you, and your family.
                I know that your working hard and putting a lot of time in to provide for your family and for your retirement, it is a hard decision. The main thing is, are you and your family HAPPY?
                I myself was working 12 on, and 2 off, 11 hour days for over 10 years. Then I had a bad accident which forced me to change my life style. It was then when I realized how fast the years go by and how much you appreciate all of the things around you in this world. If I had a chance to do it over, I would have slowed down and smelled the roses along the way. Life is very short, and no time to waste any minute.

Only you and your family can make that decision. Good luck and health to you and your family.

Comment

That union pension is tough to walk away from. I retired at 59 with the union. Loving life and no money worries. I would try and get my 20 years in and then book out. Or get someone to vouch for you and try and switch locals.

Comment

Obviously you need to provide for your family but being there physically and emotionally is important too. It's a balancing act that is very hard, and there is no right answer because it all depends on you and your family and how they respond to the situation.
                    Since you are questioning it i would think it deserves a thorough evaluation, sounds like you are right to question the situation.

Comment

spent a few months in cherry point north carolina in the summer of '69 while in the usmc and took orders to vietnam to get out of there...i'm a northerner, the heat and humidity were brutal but the killer for me was the pace of life, at 19 years old it was like living in a vat of molasses...at 70 i would welcome all it offers but as a single young man it was life in the slow lane and i moved on...never looked at it as a bad move either...i ride a honda cbr1000rr, the carolinas are v-twin country (maybe inline 3)...zing slowing down...

ps...i am a family man now and truly look at things different than i did back then...growing up my children didn't always have everything they wanted but they had everything they needed and parents that were always there for them...you can always make more money but you can NEVER buy back the time...zp...

Comment

In my 5 block walk from the jobsite to Port Authority bus terminal, I passed 4 individuals whom I could not determine whether they were male or female, a horde of drug dealers, a group of 7 teenagers smoking LOTS of weed, 4 homeless people, and about 12 very questionable and probably clinically insane characters. I am now in the Lincoln tumnel on a packed commuter bus that stinks not only of exhaust but also the very many different kinds of foods people chose to eat for the ride home. Oh yeah the traffic will be fun too. My decision is becoming more clear everyday.

Comment

As an ex-Newyorker, "I feel your pain". My office was in NYC and I too took the bus to and from work. Beats the subway, but still you are riding in a sh---hole. If I may make a suggestion; Take a leave of absence from work and explore the possibilities. Try South Carolina if you can. NCB made this suggestion and he is correct as it relates to lower taxes and a less expensive all around. In your case, you may need to find a job and if you work in the construction industry, I can tell you that construction is booming in the Myrtle Beach area. At the end of the day is your family and your decision. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TEXenvy View Post
                            In my 5 block walk from the jobsite to Port Authority bus terminal, I passed 4 individuals whom I could not determine whether they were male or female, a horde of drug dealers, a group of 7 teenagers smoking LOTS of weed, 4 homeless people, and about 12 very questionable and probably clinically insane characters. I am now in the Lincoln tumnel on a packed commuter bus that stinks not only of exhaust but also the very many different kinds of foods people chose to eat for the ride home. Oh yeah the traffic will be fun too. My decision is becoming more clear everyday.
                            I think it's called "Diversity"

De Blasio is ruining NYC IMHO

Comment

I live in God's country aka western nc. Roads are amazing air is clean. I do electrical construction and theres plenty of work
                              2018 Kawasaki Concours 14
                              straight roads are for fast bikes, curves are for fast riders.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Ypsilonn, 02-24-2018, 01:22 AM
                              45 responses
                              2 likes
                              Last Post Doc_V
                              by Doc_V

Started by Lug Nut, 7 hours ago
                              10 responses
                              0 likes