No announcement yet.

possible nat gas shortages in my area!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible nat gas shortages in my area!

we had a nat gas compressor plant explode about 30 min north of me yesterday and we got a email from the gas company saying we might have a gas shortage due to it. its bad enough my work was shut down due to it (assuming it was a forcefull by some emergency protical) in a effort to lessen the strain on the system. suppose it couldnt have happened some time other than when its -30 below zero outside......

wondering if i should go buy a few electric heaters as a just incase and return them if the gas dont go out.
    my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

I would but then I always have a back up to my heat system just in case. We run oil for heat but have a coal/wood stove for back up. At work we run on nat gas too but have been curtailed to swap to oil during the peak morning when demand is high. Our gas pressure runs at 26 psi most of the nights but just before morning it drops down to 25 psi and then we get the call to switch our generators to oil and it’s a pain the arse to do. They give us a 2 hour window to do which is just enough time. Good luck and stay warm.

Comment

-30 below I would definitely get some back up heat for the Incase of emergency situation. Ugh my kids were moaning and groaning yesterday about it being so cold here but it was mid 60’s and sunny all day here on the Oregon coast. I can’t imagine how -30 below would have been. Stay warm and keep safe!

Comment

Better get them before they are all gone from the stores. You aren't the only one with that thought.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC2409.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	56584

Comment

I just googled the issue in Mich and JMO but they are making more of it than what it really is. Your new Governor just wants her name out there to look like a concerned hero. That plant in question is just a small plant in the middle of nowhere that when bypassed will never really be missed.

http://www.voicenews.com/news/equipm...05afbe413.html

Comment

Electric heaters are a good idea unless your electricity is produced by a natural gas power plant that is affected as well.

Comment

They are getting you ready to bend over and be happy about it when the price skyrockets. I would still buy a backup heater.

Comment

Originally posted by davej View Post
                I just googled the issue in Mich and JMO but they are making more of it than what it really is. Your new Governor just wants her name out there to look like a concerned hero. That plant in question is just a small plant in the middle of nowhere that when bypassed will never really be missed.

http://www.voicenews.com/news/equipm...05afbe413.html
                Another....https://www.breitbart.com/environmen...-gas-shortage/

Comment

2 nights here with temps in the -30 range. Not wind chill, actual air temps.
                  Everybody I know has backup heat, even if it's just a $20 milkhouse electric heater.
                  I have one CRANKED under my desk right now, the furnace here at the store was out the past 2 days.
                  Luckily, the 1-acre slab of concrete 1 foot thick under out store is naturally GeoThermal so it probably won't get much below 50 degrees in here.
                  My home, not so much. LOL

Comment

It's been a brutal past couple days here in the midwest. I put in a wood burner 15+ years ago. It runs 24/7 during the winter as supplemental heat. Sure nice to have when there is a power outage or other unforeseen issue.

Comment

Loving my wood burner the last few days. My normal house heat system isn’t adequate for these temps. Wood burner makes everything nice. Just got to bust your ass cutting, splitting, stacking, and moving wood around. All that work is worth it to have a nice fire every night in the winter and it’s really worth it when temps go way below 0.

Comment

• Brad_G
                        Brad_G commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Exactly! Plus I consider the cutting of wood my workout plan.

Got emergency alerts on our phones telling us to turn our heat down to 65 because of the explosion.

I'm waiting for my first ever refill of propane. Called and they told me call back when I'm lower, their lead time is 3 days. Called later and scheduled, a week out.
                      Great big waivers stating you must be plowed 14 feed wide, etc., for truck to come in. They won't mess with you if you don't have it clear.

Plowed Sunday night and snow came, but looked clear. Called on Monday to see when delivery would come to make sure I was clear, was told they called the driver and he was on the way. Plowed again, and no show. Called Tuesday and asked about scheduled, they wanted to know if I was on for that day..

Anyways, had two accidents the week before so they don't want to risk delivering propane when it is cold or snowy out. .

I'm already thinking of going with a 1000 gallon tank, relying on others is not easy.
                      In Illinois the natural gas is limited due to the size of the mains. Stuff is running as it should.

Acres and acres of knocked down trees here, but I buy the only place I found without a fire place or hot water heat. I wanted to do one of those outside boilers.

Might still get around to a wood furnace addition.
                      The place started out as electric baseboards, and was updated to the propane furnace, so I still have all those in place.
                      But have an old panel with stab-lock breakers, and don't want to turn anything on until I replace that.

Comment

I think Dave's on to something. Years ago when I lived in the mountains, where I'd regularly scrape 3+ feet of snow of my truck when leaving work and -20° was the norm. One storm rolled in and literally blocked us off from the outside world for two weeks. I had plenty or fire wood, but no form of light without electricity. I went into town to get pint of kerosene for the lamps, so I could see at night and all.. All they had was a palate of 5 gallon jugs. I went across the road tot he other store to see if they had something smaller, but they had nada... So I went back and all but two jugs were gone. I had kerosene for days but at least I could see at night. Had to put all the food outside, cook my meals on the wood stove and wash my cloths in the sink and dry them next to the fire...The moral of the story is, assume its' as bad as it sounds and hope for the best!

Stay warm kids!

Comment

There's a reason they call this place the frozen north....cause every winter that's exactly what happens. I've been cutting, splitting and stacking 5 to 10 cord of wood every fall for most of my life and often wonder what it would be like not to have to do this shit. From the time spring breaks and the ground begins to thaw it's like being a character in the Game of Thrones cause everything you do based on the idea that "Winter is Coming." Yeah it sucks that the "polar vortex" has come your way, but it won't be long and it will just be a memory. When it happens here it's called the "Siberian Express" and I doubt you've ever heard of it. But then again it's -40 in Fairbanks almost all winter long and it doesn't make the news either. I'd like to commiserate with you more but for us it's just another day in paradise.

Comment

I'll use about 6 or so cords of wood per year. I already have about 1/2 of that ready to start splitting for next year. I watch Craigslist and FB marketplace for ads of free wood. I haven't had to pay for even 1 log so far. Alot of times I can even get good seasoned oak that is already split from people that either don't want to burn anymore for whatever reason or from someone that converted to gas logs. I bought a 25 ton splitter so splitting isn't an issue at all.

Comment

So much for global warming! I'd like to kick al gore in the nuts !

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by backinthesaddleagain, 1 day ago
                              11 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post mlharper  
                              Started by Tcontrol, 2 hours ago
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Tcontrol