might be time to say goodbye...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• might be time to say goodbye...

she has been with me for almost 13 years and she was 2ish when we rescued her the last 2 years she has been living with cancer and its starting to grow pretty rapidly. she has a mass about the size of a soccer ball on her side between her rib cage and hips. she's struggling to move that back meg and often will whine for hours at a time unless you are petting her constantly. i dont want to take her but we have a apointment at the vet to decide if we are being selfish to keep her or does she still have some quality of life ahead of her.

she is my husky shyanne. and if its time im going to miss her dearly. my wife and i rescued her and brought her i to our home when my wife and i got our own place.
    my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

Sorry to hear about your circumstances, I feel your pain. We had to say goodbye to our beloved dog biscuit for the same reasons last year at this time. On a side note we got another puppy and it’s no replacement for biscuit, it helps but it’s just not the same. I have come to the conclusion that I like dogs more than people tho.

Comment

One of the toughest things we ever have to do.
      I wish you strength and your pup peace & comfort.

Comment

I feel for you, had to make that same decision 2013 and I didn't like it one bit but it needed to be done as she had kidney failure. Time helps but I still miss that ugly pug.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokescreens View Post
          she has been with me for almost 13 years and she was 2ish when we rescued her the last 2 years she has been living with cancer and its starting to grow pretty rapidly. she has a mass about the size of a soccer ball on her side between her rib cage and hips. she's struggling to move that back meg and often will whine for hours at a time unless you are petting her constantly. i dont want to take her but we have a apointment at the vet to decide if we are being selfish to keep her or does she still have some quality of life ahead of her.

she is my husky shyanne. and if its time i'm going to miss her dearly. my wife and i rescued her and brought her i to our home when my wife and i got our own place.
          So sorry to hear this,i just went thru the same thing with my pet having to put her down 12/14/2017

She was a 19.5 yr old toy poodle (avg lifespan is 16-17yrs) named Chazzy (wife's idea!) that had a very nice long life with plenty of love coming her way daily,but she always gave more love & enjoyment back to us then we could ever give to her.

In a way we rescued her too,we in our local SPC to look for small dog & were standing at the reception desk waiting for the receptionist to get off the phone to ask if they had any small dogs like a toy or mini poodle my wife wanted and guess what?

We over heard the receptionist on the phone repeat back to the caller so you have a 3yr old toy poodle you want to bring in for adoption because it's being abused by young children in the house being to rough with it and that's when my wife spoke up saying thats just what i am looking for and the receptionist then handed my wife the phone and it was a done deal an hr later.

We went to the house where the poodle was 30mins away ,got to know the dog a bit,seem'd like a very nice well behaved dog and the dogs owners seem'd nice too,they were just worried there young kids that kept steeping on and or tripping over the dog daily rough housing with it at times too was why they decided to let her go so she wouldn't get hurt or seriously injured because she was small.

So we gave the lady some money for the dog and also assured her we had no young children in our house that could accidentally hurt the dog while running around or doing horseplay and she let us have her.

I had mult dogs over the past 62+ yrs of my life and that toy poodle was by far the most fun, smart & playful pet i have ever had.

She liked to go everywhere with us including riding on the R* with at times too!

Even though it's been almost 1yr since my pet passed she is on my mind mult times daily.

Dont worry,when the time comes you will make the right decision for Shyanne.

Scott

Comment

I feel your pain. We get very attached to pets and letting them go is tough. When the time comes, be there for your pet so they can see you as they pass.

Comment

Sad news. tough decision to make. I wish you well in whatever happens.

Comment

We lost our beloved Ricky in June. He had a sudden heart attack, and died as he was jumping on the bed to play. He was my best friend, and I don't think I'll ever get over losing him, but he was 13, and had a great life. We rescued a little guy about 2 months ago, who weaseled his way into our hearts.
                I hope Shyanne gets through this, but if it's time, take comfort in knowing you did the right thing for her in letting her go.

Will Rogers once said "If dogs don't go to Heaven, when I die I want to go where they went"... I agree.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Smoke its not a easy task. Been there done that

Comment

Sorry to hear. It's tough to make that decision I know.
                    I'm still missing my best friend after 1.5 years, and helps know how short and special life is.
                    You have our support.

Comment

So sorry to hear about your dog. I miss the dogs I have lost since childhood. Thought I was going to lose my sister's dog here a week ago, porcupine quills, and my parents dog is on the very same route as yours. I definitely feel for you. I love dogs and It hurts to see them suffer.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers your way. Our pets become another family member for most of us. Sometimes they're even better than some family (trying to add a little humor here). We've had a few over the years that we've had to make that most difficult decision. I'd be remiss to say that even today I don't miss them. But you have to consider their quality of life as well. I don't envy your position.

Comment

we made the decision to let her go last night. after talking to the vet last night based on how fast it started to grow he felt she had about 2 painfull weeks left. and the risk of her mass to rupture her skin was a real threat. i didnt want to watch her as they put her down but i felt she deserved me to be there with her. thank god it was fast and peaceful.
                          my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

Comment

Your Friends pain is over , Yours will go on. I Pray for the Peace in you that only God can give.

Comment

So sorry for the loss of your friend. In '12, our 17 year old Golden Retriever Barney disappeared one day (at that age, he no longer left the property any more) and we never saw him again. We assumed he went off to die, but have always wondered what happened to him and didn't get "closure". Not sure how that compares to the pain of having to make that trip to the vet.

Comment

Smoke, It's tough, but something you had to do. Pets become a major part of the family. When kids are involved it's really tough.

My Daughter has a 14 year old Lab with severe hip problems. I have dog-set him many times. I live on a small lake and he would sneak off and into the lake he would go. This past summer he was on a visit and I couldn't find him. Walked over to channel and there he was, clawing with his front legs to get out, but he couldn't. I had to get in and lift him out.

His Sisters (My Grand Daughters) are aged 8, 6 and 4. I dread the day when my Daughter makes the same decision that you had to make. He is their big Brother and guards them around strangers. It's going to be a very bad day for them.
                                http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/...psd3de724b.jpg

Comment

At least you had some say in the matter. The last dog we had that I became emotionally attached to was a German Shepherd/chow mix. She was my soul mate (you guys know what I mean). We had to move from a house w/a huge backyard to one with a postage stamp.I'd rescued the dog from a city shelter after a previous dog mysteriously disappeared from our fenced backyard. Unknown to us, she apparently had separation anxiety, and the tiny yard exacerbated it. While at work, and my mom out to social meetings, my dog, Freya, chewed through a wooden door into the garage, and then through the wooden garage door. Later, she knocked the back porch door open, and chewed through the front door....TWICE! In an effort to curtail further destruction, I rigged a cable diagonally across the back yard to give her the maximum room to move. She still was able to get on the back porch and knock open the door, so I took a garden gate from a nearby house that was being razed, and bungee-corded it to the handrails on the porch. A neighbor, who had two blue dobies and a huge back yard offered to allow my mom to bring Freya over to their yard to play with their dogs whenever she left the house when I was at work. One day, she had a 'Gardening group tea' to go to, and for whatever reason, didn't take Freya over to the neighbor's. When she returned (long before I got off work) she found that Freya had scrambled onto the back porch, slipped, and caught her collar on the chain-link garden gate and strangled herself. She had to call my younger brother over to disentangle Freya's corpse, so I wouldn't have to see it. I Still can't become emotionally attached to any dog, so now I have (or they have me) cats, and the only one I've had to 'put down' had been aloof (catlike) to me most of her existence. When she started getting thin, regardless of how much she ate, I took her to the veterinarian. Over $1000 of 'lab tests' later, I was told 'she might have some sort of bone disease'. No S_IT! After quoting another insulting fee to put her down, I took her to a diverent vet after the cat couldn't travel between the litter box and her food dish without falling over several times. When the time came to put her down, I didn't think it would affect me much, but, a grown man cried as he stroked a feline companion breathed her last. She now oversees her Catdom from her cremated remains on a bookshelf, as one of her offspring, and two late-comers continue to rule her domain. Smoke, I feel your pain!

Comment

To Smoke and everyone who has lost their beloved pet.
                                    I feel your pain and heartache
                                    We had to put down our Black Lab, Cj, in early Sept. 2018. He did not feel well Sunday night, I figured he had just gotten too hot. At that time we had like 3 - 4 days of 100 plus temps. He did not eat that night and that is not good for a Lab. Cj was a pig, like all Labs are. Next day he felt better and ate. I spoke to the vet and we just figured it was the heat.
                                    Thursday morning he got up and went outside in the morning, he came back in to eat, he just drank some water and then stood with his head hung low in the corner. Not good!
                                    Took to vet, he was anemic, blood in the belly, vet could not see and definition in the x-ray due to the blood in the belly. Took him to a specialty clinic, ultrasound showed a tumor on the spleen and it was an aggressive form of cancer. Surgery would cost too much and we would only get maybe 3 more months. He was 2 1/2 months shy of his 10th birthday.
                                    Still hurts to this day.
                                    We now have a new Chocolate Lab puppy, but he can not replace Cj!
                                    2005 Silverado Midnight Star

Comment

It sure is tough having to say goodbye to your pet, they are often times your best buddy and love you unconditionally. We put our miniature dachshund Lilly down about 1 1/2 years ago and I still miss her. We have a new dog named Annie, a Kelpe mix and she's unique in her own way, and a lot of fun.

Comment

So very sorry to hear.
                                        Remember. No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                        Started by brianmac, 3 days ago
                                        3 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Spydr
                                        by Spydr

Started by D-Fresh, 4 days ago
                                        9 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post D-Fresh
                                        by D-Fresh

Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
                                        2,507 responses
                                        3 likes
                                        Last Post roadiemort  
                                        Started by Malleck, 18 hours ago
                                        13 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Doc_V
                                        by Doc_V

Started by Fat pete, 13 hours ago
                                        7 responses
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post Doc_V