What earns you bike money?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What earns you bike money?

We did this briefly I believe on the old forum but we have a lot of new members here now so I figured it might be neat to see.

What do you guys do for a living, or what did you do? We all have something that gives us the opportunity to have these bikes and to do the mods we do.

I'll start, I work Mon-Fri from 8-3:30 as a warehouse manager for a tire warehouse. I have at any given point in time about 4-5,000 tires in stock in a 33,000 sq ft building with 6,000 sq ft of office space on the front. It's nice being the top dog at the location because it gives me the freedom to step out on the bike for lunch or meetings, or even just early on nice days! Lol.

As my screen name here goes though, my dream was always to be a fireman. This year marks 15 years now as a volunteer fireman for me and I am currently the Captain of Operations for my dept. Of course the firefighter part doesnt make me money, I refuse to go fulltime because it has the potential to cause laziness or carelessness, but it's a dream realized for me.

So what do y'all do?

"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer."
    Chris, 2004 Roadstar Silverado

I work for a company that sells seed, fertilizer, and chemicals to farmers. We also spray and spread for them. From now through August is our busy time so it cuts into my riding some. 80 to 100 hour weeks aren't uncommon but you can't beat the overtime. I started my Senior year of high school working weekends and after school and am in my 24th year there. I absolutely love my job and couldn't imagine doing anything else. We get to run some pretty awesome equipment and I've had several bikes come underneath me going down the road. You'd be surprised how loud a crotch rocket is when they come underneath you at warp speed.( I thought I was going to have to change my shorts on that one because I didn't see him coming and he was hauling ass)

Comment

I work at a family owned food processer named Red Gold Inc. They package tomato products of all kind. I am a mechanic and fabricator and setup the machines that put ends on full cans.

Comment

HVAC technician by trade. Also a home builder/carpenter when needed (which happens way more often than I thought it would, ha ha). Wouldn't believe the number of times I've been called for a second or third opinion about something just to have it be a minor fix when company #1 or #2 said it would be hundreds or thousands of $$$. Get regular customers for life on those calls. Just had a big one today actually.

Very few guys around here actually know what they are doing when it comes to diagnosing problems. Lots of parts changers. I have a passion for understanding what is happening and being able to explain it to someone else. One of the reasons I love this site. Some guys here can teach me how the inner workings of a motor actually work and from there I've gone on to rebuild complex racing engines. This place is awesome.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	998.3 KB
ID:	14787 I pick up and deliver Cat construction equipment in the SE corner of Texas. Been driving large cars for 45 years, but still get a kick out of it.

The KW I run is a ‘95 model (23 years old!) with me in her saddle for the last 14 years, and I prefer it over the newer trucks in our fleet. Solid old truck. Not a Tupperware party in the cab like these crap trucks they are building now.

Comment

Just retired as a pediatric occupational therapist specializing in designing adaptive equipment to help the kids be more independent in their recreation, play, self care, etc. Had a machine shop and full time technician to build the stuff. I just passed my position on to another OT with adaptive equipment experience. We are rare birds!

“The West is the Best" - Jim Morrison

Comment

I'm an IT guy (support Apple products). Been doing this in some capacity for over 30 years. The best part about IT is it's ever evolving so there's always something new to learn so it doesn't get stale.

Grew up tinkering with cars and did some dirt track racing in my youth. Found old tractors were also fun to mess with and they didn't cost as much as race cars.

Comment

i'm a machinist by trade, but have been running a punch press dept. for the last 4 years. I came over to help start up this new multi million dollar job, (mostly process engineering type work) and for now it seems i'm stuck. They are not letting me transfer into the engineer because they say they can't loose me in punch press.
                owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that

Comment

Originally posted by FDRUCaptain View Post
                  We did this briefly I believe on the old forum but we have a lot of new members here now so I figured it might be neat to see.

What do you guys do for a living, or what did you do? We all have something that gives us the opportunity to have these bikes and to do the mods we do.

I'll start, I work Mon-Fri from 8-3:30 as a warehouse manager for a tire warehouse. I have at any given point in time about 4-5,000 tires in stock in a 33,000 sq ft building with 6,000 sq ft of office space on the front. It's nice being the top dog at the location because it gives me the freedom to step out on the bike for lunch or meetings, or even just early on nice days! Lol.

As my screen name here goes though, my dream was always to be a fireman. This year marks 15 years now as a volunteer fireman for me and I am currently the Captain of Operations for my dept. Of course the firefighter part doesnt make me money, I refuse to go fulltime because it has the potential to cause laziness or carelessness, but it's a dream realized for me.

So what do y'all do?
                  Just wanted to say hey Chris!

Comment

• FDRUCaptain
                    FDRUCaptain commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey Tim, always good to hear from you.

I drive semi truck for a living. Been doing it since i turned 21. I also do some light machinist work as well. Im self taught and dont have a ton of tooling but what i do i do well, For the forum that side work often is roadwings and wheel adapters.
                  my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

Comment

I was laying in the dirt in a crawl space digging holes and filling them with concrete to make piers to reinforce the midpoint on some 2x8 floor joist some cheap bastard thought would be able to span 14 feet without any issues. I hate remodeling. This is for a friend. If it wasn’t his home, and he wasn’t working right alongside me.............
                    I’ve done a couple of other things, but always come back to my nail apron. I’ve done more interior finish work then other construction, but have a pretty good working knowledge of general construction........and making stuff work when “smart guys” get in over their heads.
                    Between that type of thing and keeping my own place in decent shape because selling it one day is my retirement/pension, I manage to stay busy enough.

Comment

38 years in the business machine industry before semi-retiring. My main job these days is looking after mom. She will be 86 soon. I drive a delivery van and stock shelves in an auto parts warehouse for beer and bike money.

Comment

I work for the Oregon Dept. of Corrections as a Correctional Officer. Currently at the institution I am a work crew officer taking a 10 man inmate crew into the public for work detail. Also take inmates to work on wild land forest fires. Before that I worked in the construction industry supplying contractors with all their building products.

Comment

• MikeyC
                          MikeyC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          NWStarFest Spray Oregon, July 13-15. Need I say more?

I'm an old retired guy now... I was a broker with a Wall Street firm, and still would be, if it weren't for the new regs that went into place in '12 as a result of O'Bummer and his gang of fools putting in place the Financial Services Reform Act that put a bulls-eye right square on every important part of our anatomy! I got out before anyone could use them against me to take what I'd worked hard all my life to acquire.... Got out, sold my business, and fix friends' Road Stars! Whohoo!!!

Comment

I sell Yamaha stuff to pay my bills.

Since the original question is "What earns you bike money" the answer would be "I'm a performing musician in a 10 piece band'" (I'm on the far left).

Comment

I'm retired but just since Dec 2016. Before that, I owned my own Heating and Air Conditioning business. Before that I was in the Army for 20 years, then retired from that. I started as a combat medic ( 71 - 80 ) and then I was sent to school for Respiratory Care ( 81 - 92 ). after I retired from the military I worked as a Respiratory Therapist. Then I went back to school to learn HVAC and once I was licensed I started my own one man HVAC business.

May the Wind Always Smile Upon you...

Comment

• Questcap
                              Questcap commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Respiratory care... HVAC, I can see the connection!

• kaidallac
                              kaidallac commented
                              Editing a comment
                              hahahahaha, yeah as an RT I snaked people and as a HVAC Tech I learned how to snake pipes!!! I am happier when I was a HVAC because I saw too many infant deaths...had to get away from that.

Started as an electronics tech. Then on to Radar and FLIR on the development end. Ended up in IT (Networking and Server systems.)
                            Gerry

Comment

I'm a heavy equipment operator for the county and operate a small landfill/compost facility. Been doing it for 31 years now. Hoping to retire in another 6-7 years.

2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

I’m a lead mechanic for a local trash company, I run the shop and fix all the trucks

Comment

I married a nurse. I started my working career as an attendant at a Gulf station. Then, a Ready-Mix truck driver, then became a Corrections Officer for the State of Texas. Tried some long haul trucking after that, didn't care for it all that much. Went back to Ready-Mix for a few more years, Went to college and got a certificate in Telecommunications. Got a job at a small Oldies A.M. radio station, went from there to an All Hits F.M. station, from there I wrenched on bikes at Armadillo Bike and Chrome in Killeen, Texas (still there), Then got back into radio at a new rock station that started up locally, 107.9 The Fox. Started there as a weekend jock and progressed through the ranks until I became Production Manager overseeing 5 stations. We were bought out by Clear Channel Communications, the world's biggest media entity. It was all good until I got sick and ended up how I am today. But I don't need a lot of bike money, I have a Road Star. However, my wife has a Fatboy, which has almost already consumed half as much money as it cost to buy it, and it wants more!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                  Started by roadiemort, 03-05-2018, 07:01 PM
                                  2,271 responses
                                  3 likes
                                  Last Post roadiemort  
                                  Started by Leadkrm, 14 hours ago
                                  13 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Leadkrm