• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Two Backorders

Or, Shopping in a Time of COVID.

Bear with me, and fair warning
    //start rant//

June 2, 2021, after much research and shopping around I selected a known and reputable company to replace the stock seats on my '06 R*. This was admittedly not a necessary purchase, but would hopefully be a welcome upgrade to a bike that I thoroughly enjoy riding. The seat and pillion were ordered through a 3rd party vendor because they were having a pretty good sale at the time. Much to my chagrin, both items were reported backordered shortly thereafter. No big deal, I still have a seat and I'm busy at work anyway. Besides, COVID, right? A month or two later after hearing nothing, I reach out to the vendor who gives me the good news- the seats are going into production next week and mine are in the order. Two weeks later, I follow up and hear that apparently that was bad information. That was the first of now 4 ( or is it 5?) missed ship dates. Each time, I initiate contact, am told a date in the very near future when I will receive said items, and then am apologized to after the fact. This has happened with both manufacturer and vendor, repeatedly. In the meantime, my father-in-law ordered a seat direct from the same manufacturer, was backordered, and then delivered 3 weeks later. To be fair, he rides an early 2000's HD, not a 15 year old metric. But seriously? Obviously this company is still producing seats, and not experiencing the complete lack of supplies they're making out. I would honestly have been happier to hear upfront "we're waiting on XXX number of orders before production" or just "sorry, try somewhere else". The only saving grace here is that no money has yet changed hands.

//deep breath//

September 06, 2021 my wife and I ordered a garage door for a new detached garage. We were given an extended delivery date of Nov 1, which was acceptable since construction had not yet started. This order was paid in full. Nov 1 came and went, pushed back to Nov 18, Nov 30, and now Dec 19. In light of the above experience, I decided to cancel the order and find something in stock locally. Aha! The company I ordered from won't let me cancel without a 25% restocking fee, on items that Haven't Even Left the Manufacturing Facility! What the ever-loving hell? I could see this if any part of the door had been delivered or made available for pickup, but this is not the case.

Long story short, does anyone else feel like COVID has become an excuse for generally terrible/absent customer service? I'm not trying to minimize the effects it's had on people, businesses, or global supply chains, but in my opinion these are human caused issues only tangentially related to the pandemic. Is this just me being whiny? Because I'm about over it.

Thanks for listening.

//end rant//

Sorry to hear all that BS. F*ck the consumer...

When I start getting that song-and-dance, early on, I cancel the order. Find someone else. And when they refuse to cancel, I either

A. Inform them I'll be passing it to my attorneys, or
    B. Inform them that I'll be directing my bank or CC company to reverse the charges and they can deal with my attorneys if they object, and
    C. Direct my bank or CC company to reverse/contest the charges.

After decades in business that's become the only way to effectively deal with such BS.

I have a great legal group that I keep on retainer for virtual pennies, and they have made me a LOT of $$ over the decades as a result of having them on board; far more than I've ever paid them.

I've got to believe that some of your experience is due to a delay in materials or goods as a result of California's bullshit polices regarding truckers in the state, thus jamming and backlogging the ports.

F*ck California.

Comment

Buyer beware, read all the fine print about shipping and restocking fees (common ) from online businesses, credit card companies will go to bat for you if everything is documented and only a short time has passed since ordering before you changed your mind.

Comment

• MidnightRide
        MidnightRide commented
        Editing a comment
        This is where attorneys come in handy. Legal fees hurt the bottom line, even IF they're OK on paper.

I had thought about contesting the charges with my bank, maybe I'll have to look into that more. Problem is the 25% fee is documented, I'm still just baffled that they're claiming it regarding goods that have never left the warehouse. Seems like I might be without a paddle on that one.

Either way, I'll take this as my hard learned lesson to find things that are currently in stock for the foreseeable future. 5° F here yesterday morning and a heated garage sure did sound nice to park in.

Comment

• Boots
        Boots commented
        Editing a comment
        They cannot 'restock' something they haven't even made yet!

What I can't understand is why you don't name these companies that are playing you and probably many other individuals.
      The scoundrels who run these companies can't sue you for your honest interaction summary. Defamation is another story though.
      I've gotten screwed a few times over these past 2 bullshit years and each time I googled reviewed them with very constructive scathing reviews,
      Which many times I've received high numbers of viewed counts on each encounter,

Comment

Fair. Mostly I try to avoid calling out anyone if I can, and I wasn't too sure of forum policies. Either way, with the big box home improvement stores I doubt one more bad experience review will matter much, particularly in eastern South Dakota where the next closest alternative might easily be 2 hours further away.

Comment

Sucks to be you.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenWheel View Post
            I had thought about contesting the charges with my bank, maybe I'll have to look into that more. Problem is the 25% fee is documented, I'm still just baffled that they're claiming it regarding goods that have never left the warehouse. Seems like I might be without a paddle on that one.

Either way, I'll take this as my hard learned lesson to find things that are currently in stock for the foreseeable future. 5° F here yesterday morning and a heated garage sure did sound nice to park in.
            Yeah but that 25% fee can't stand forever, there has to be a reasonable time period. Will they claim the same thing after two years have passed? What do they claim is REASONABLE? What's in the fine print there? Any GOOD company would apologize and fervently refund you without hesitation, knowing they'll sell your item to another customer while hopefully keeping you onboard as a customer for years to come.

Comment

Well, everything turned out, as it usual does. After yet another missed delivery date and a few sincere but unhelpful conversations with both supplier and manufacturer I went seat shopping again. Dennis Kirk happened to have both the saddle and pillion in stock, shipped same day and arrived earlier this week. Why did I not do this before? Couldn't tell you. But everything installed and looks good.

I was able to cancel the garage door after a somewhat lengthier series of in-person conversations at the store, without restocking fees, and purchased a similar in-stock door that has since been delivered and installed.

All in all, lessons learned and on to the next series of mods- 33T pulley swap, progressive fork springs, AIS delete/pumpless, and SS braided brake lines.

Happy holidays everyone.

Comment

• MidnightRide
                MidnightRide commented
                Editing a comment
                Love it when a plan comes together!

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Ahodge75, 2 days ago
            17 responses
            4 likes