Largest animal hit while riding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest animal hit while riding?

@ Father Pobasturd post https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...led-prarie-dog got me to thinking:

What's the largest animal you have hit while riding your bike?

I had a deer come close enough that I could practically reach out and touch it, but thankfully the largest animal I have actually hit is a ground squirrel.

Update:
    Shores' post reminded me... decades ago (age 16) I was riding up my friend's gravel drive at about 10 mph when his idiot dog came out to greet me by jogging alongside and then suddenly cutting across my front tire. Dumping on a gravel drive wasn't pleasant, but not bad. So, I guess mine technically counts as an adult German Shepherd.

Just me hitting the ground lol.

Comment

• MikeyC
      MikeyC commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, hitting the ground is a pretty big object. I sure don't like it.

I had a kid on a bicycle run into my front wheel when I was turning around in my cul-de-sac at about 1 mph. Back in the '70s, my ex-wife and I had a mother dog with a bunch of puppies come run out at us in a neighborhood. The mother stopped short but one of the puppies didn't and got munched by our rear tire. About the same era, I had a jackrabbit run between my wheels doing about 60 mph. He had to have gone between the front wheel and the frame because the frame of my chopper was only 3 inches off the ground.

Comment

When I was 16 (only had my MC endorsement for a couple days) coming home from work at night I had a deer jump in my path. Last thing I remember was seeing the beam of the headlamp on his hide. Laid it down going 50-60 MPH in fresh chip and seal. That was a nasty mess to get scrubbed out of my wounds. Thankfully a broken finger and some road rash on my hand and knee I was fine. Helmet looked pretty sad from sliding on my head.

Last year during the Eureka Springs M&G had a squirrel fly across the road in front of me. Not sure how I didn't hit him.

This summer had a rabbit run across in front of me. He wasn't so lucky. Must have wrapped around the left side of the crash bar as the bike and my leg were covered in blood and guts. Even on my glasses and up under my half helmet a bit. That sucked cleaning that off on the side of the road.

Comment

• MikeyC
        MikeyC commented
        Editing a comment
        Yuck

Was riding a friend's bike and hit a white tail doe aprox. 90 pounds. Killed it, did not fall down. Still have a dent in my right shin where its snout hit my leg there. That was in the late 1980's. Funny thing is, that same buddy is in the hospital right now with 3 broken ribs and some road rash. He hit a deer Sunday night about 5 miles from where I hit mine. He'll be OK.

Comment

Soccer mom in an Expedition. She tagged me with her mirror doing about 20 running a stop light.
        Where the heck are we NOW!

Comment

A 40 pound dog. At low speed, it bounced off the front wheel and spun off into the ditch.

Wherever you go in life, ride there if at all possible.

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
            Father Pobasturd commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, hey there JD have not seen you here in a while.

Wow, some scary stuff there. I hit a buick when she turned left in front of me, 3+ months laid up. Hit a great dane that ran out at me, momentum kept the bike up because I had to re-grab the bars when it leveled out, that was freaky but no damage. Hit a mountain when I dropped off the side of the road into pea gravel and missed a corner riding to fast and getting distracted, not serious, was able to ride the bike home.
          It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

I hit a road sign post on one of the Twisted Sisters near Leaky, when I rounded a curve and the speed limit dropped from 40 to 20? I tried to brake before coming to a curve, and my glove got hung up on the CrampBuster that I had installed. Luckily, the curve was on the mountain side vice valley side, so I didn't risk hang gliding without the wing. The impact bent the highway bars and left floorboard badly enough that I could only get the bike into first gear. My destination was near Camp Wood, which isn't that far from the site of the collision. Lucky for me, my b-i-l had enough tools in his truck that I was able to remove the noe trashed highway bars and straighten the shift lever. I had to replace the floorboard when I got back home, and my b-i-l later heated up the highway bars and bent them back to close to original shape, but by the time I went back down there (in my truck- carrying beer 'n brats for near a dozen people just isn't possible on a bike), but by then I had replaced the Lindby bar with the Cobra Fatty. Family members have renamed the curve after me, just like they renamed one of the development's entry gates after my sister, due to a misfortune she had with it! Yeah, I know....not an animal, but I did encounter a dog on a hillside in SanDiego...it ran out at me, like they do, and it didn't expect me to brake, so it ran full-tilt into my front wheel, caromed off , and I left the area before it recovered (it was kinda dicey, since I was going up the hill when the dog attacked!)

Comment

• MikeyC
              MikeyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol, you think those dogs would learn. We on the other hand never seem to learn.

slothy hit a 600lb moose. dont think i ever ran into a animal on a bike. but i pancaked someones dog with a semi truck.
            my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

Comment

• MikeyC
              MikeyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Is slothy still alive?

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Doc_V, 1 hour ago
          0 responses
          0 likes