• Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-mail-...ey-11598050780

Comment

• GreenMachine
      GreenMachine commented
      Editing a comment
      I couldn’t read this specific story because I don’t have a subscription, but the report I read on this incident didn’t say how fraud was committed. I’d be really interested to see the specifics of what happened.

• GreenMachine
      GreenMachine commented
      Editing a comment
      Found this article that explains what happened. No one should ever give their ballot to someone they don’t know and trust. Not cool.

https://www.nj.com/passaic-county/20...man-elect.html

Comment

• GreenMachine
      GreenMachine commented
      Editing a comment
      This thread is supposed to be a civil conversation about voting. If you want to post insulting memes, I would suggest Facebook.

• roadiemort
      roadiemort commented
      Editing a comment
      https://nationalpost.com/news/joe-bi...ination-speech

• GreenMachine
      GreenMachine commented
      Editing a comment
      I suppose it is possible this was plagiarism, but those words are about the furthest thing from an original thought as you could possibly point to. I’ve probably written 3 sentences in succession where you could accuse me of doing the same thing, and I didn’t even know who Layton was until now. I bet you could easily find someone who wrote 3 sentences very similar to Layton before 2011, and accuse Layton of the same thing. Those three sentences could have been uttered by anyone anywhere that believes in the positive qualities of human nature. It is a huge stretch to call the expression of such commonly held ideas plagiarism. Do we do that when people recount religious lessons, or beliefs core to a country’s identity?

Turn on Fox news Life liberty and Levin.he is on right now (8PM) the show is about mail in voting

Comment

Originally posted by Shores View Post
      This hour long discussion will air tonight on Life, Liberty & Levin on Fox News. It will repeat a few hours later.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/von...electioneering
      This program is airing now. DK if this has been said here before, but it’s my understanding that once a voter enters a physical voting booth, personal errors are unlikely due to the nature of the machines. With mail in ballots, there are lots of possibilities for voter error such as lack of signature, non matching signature, over voting, under voting, late mailing, lack of postage, etc. all that can result in a void ballot.

Comment

• GreenMachine
        GreenMachine commented
        Editing a comment
        All of these concerns are valid. There are rarely perfect solutions to any problem. Voting by mail is no exception. Navigating an environment where safeguarding our health must be balanced with our right to vote will require many voters to familiarize themselves with a new way of doing things. I would argue that requiring citizens to risk death to exercise their right to vote is much more problematic than asking them to be conscious of the vote by mail pitfalls you have pointed out with. Every time I complete my ballot, I am very conscious of these issues. Educating the public is key. It’s sad, but following simple directions seems to be more difficult than one would think.

I watched the entirety of the DeJoy testimony today. Scrub to 5:23.40 to watch him squirm and play dumb when he accidentally reveals that there was indeed a directive to stop the reduction of overtime. If there was a directive to stop the reduction of overtime, which he let slip, someone had to have made a directive to reduce it. He spent all day saying he did not direct the reduction of overtime. Apparently someone did though. This man is obfuscating the truth. This is what it looks like when someone slips up.
      Louis DeJoy, the postmaster general, testified on U.S. Postal Service operations and the upcoming elections.

Comment

DeJoy spent all day stating that he did not direct the decommissioning of sorting machines. This is absolutely true, the direction to do this came before he was at the Post Office. But it was most certainly implemented under his leadership and he is the one responsible for that implementation and any potential impact on service it may have during the elections. It’s also very interesting to note that he did not have an answer as to who originated this directive. He knew full well he would be drilled on this issue. Anyone with any common sense would have done their research ahead of this hearing, and had someone to point to as the author of this policy. That is unless they do not wish to point the finger at that person for some reason?

He is blaming the delays in mail service on complications with his order to have trucks leave on schedule, and “a variety of other reasons.” Those “other reasons” may or may not be the decommissioning of sorting machines, but the honest truth is that we don’t have the time to wait for supporting data, or to argue over what the cause of the delays are. It really doesn’t matter. We need to just put things back like they were until after the election in order to be absolutely certain that our elections run smoothly in November. We can sort all of this out, and decide how to improve efficiency of the post office at a time when our democracy is no longer relying on it to support its most basic of functions.

Pay very close attention to the fact that DeJoy says that USPS will be able to handle the election mail efficiently and on time, but then also says that we should all request a ballot and vote as early as possible. This should tell you all you need to know about what is about to happen to all the ballots that are sent by mail close to the postmark deadlines.

Comment

The people actually working in the Post Office seem to think the sorting machines that are being dismantled are necessary to do thier jobs. If you aren’t worried, you aren’t paying attention.
          An order from Postal Service headquarters didn't stop mail-processing plants in Tacoma and Wenatchee from hooking up their high-speed letter-sorting machines again.

Comment

• davej
            davej commented
            Editing a comment
            The managers of any facility involved in the reconnection of those machines without prior approval should be fired for insubordination. Regardless of if a person thinks that the disconnection of the sorting machines is a political move or not the reinstallation without prior approval is a out right blatant disregard for a written direct order. That type of rogue management can not be tolerated in any business.

• GreenMachine
            GreenMachine commented
            Editing a comment
            I have no doubt that people will lose their jobs over this. They wouldn’t be risking their career (political statement or not) if the decommissioned machines were not needed to do their jobs.

It's silly to think people are risking their lives to vote in person. Just silly. Ridiculous. The simple fact is voting in person greatly reduces the possibility of fraud period. Voting is a right and its a privilege. The US has historically had very low voter turn out because apparently citizens don't feel their vote counts OR they don't care. I don't for one minute think that "poor and unfortunate" Americans can't get to a voting booth in today's world....they Choose not to. The poor and unfortunate sure can seem to go out protesting/rioting/looting for weeks at a time... They sure can get to a store for alcohol and cigarettes... They sure have time to make lots of babies they don't take care of.... They sure have time to commit crimes. They sure have the ability to go to a variety of social service institutions to get free stuff...

I'm tired of hearing about voter suppression. To me it a bad and inaccurate term. This is the absolute most diverse and free country in the world and any (legal) citizen who has the right to vote (hard to lose that right) can easily cast a vote. How much easier do we have to make things for people? People can get absentee ballots. The argument of "Trump/Republicans want to suppress votes so they can win" is about the same as "Democrats want to get illegals to vote for them". Each party will do whatever it can to win. No surprise their.
          LET'S RIDE

Comment

• GreenMachine
            GreenMachine commented
            Editing a comment
            Voting in person may be more secure than vote by mail, but that does not mean that voting by mail is not secure. Have you noticed that I have asked everyone here to look at their states absentee ballot security measures, and to report back with any flaws, and that no one has posted a single concern. Dave did post that viral video of the Washington State primary ballots (where you are required to declare a party and vote only for a candidate of that party on the top of the ticket), which is misleading because the same coding system isn’t used in the general election when it would actually pose a security risk.

I’ve laid out exactly why it is not silly to avoid voting in person for high risk groups or people who are knowingly infected with the virus. (see post #44 in this thread) I’m not talking about people who don’t normally vote. I’m talking about people who want very much to exercise their right to vote, but the virus poses either a serious threat to them, or makes them a serious threat to others.

There are 7 states where there is no absentee ballot option for all registered voters. Of these states, four are considered battleground states with 82 electoral votes In play. There WILL be people that die in these states as a direct result of their decision to vote in person. Likewise, there will be people who decide not to vote as a direct result of the risk they would incur to do so. 30% of the electoral votes needed to win the presidency are already legitimately in question as a direct result of these states unwillingness to make accommodations to mitigate the threat to their citizen’s right to vote. I just don’t understand how anyone who believes in the right to vote could possibly think that is okay? Why do you dismiss this as silly?

You never responded to the questions I posed earlier about Trump. If it isn’t too much trouble I really would be interested in your thoughts. Your answers would go a long way in helping me understand everything that is going on right now.

I used to have a political affiliation, before i realized it's not the right against the left, its the right and left against the people. If you read the declaration of Independence it not only seems like it was written yesterday but about 30 years ago. I do believe one side quickens the pace over the other to strip us of or civil liberties but they are both at fault. It's the old divide and concur tactic. Look at this thread. All this back and forth against each other when we all should be rushing the white house/senate with pitchforks and torches!!!

Wake up 'merica!
          2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

What's the big deal? If you want to vote, then get your ass down to the voting booth. It isn't hard.
            This voting crap going on is BS. For years we've voted going to the voting areas, it's no big deal, just get your butt down and vote.
            I don't want to here about being safe, it's just a excuse.
            YOU WANT TO VOTE, then get off your ass.

Comment

• GreenMachine
              GreenMachine commented
              Editing a comment
              Just because you don’t take the threat of this virus seriously, does not change the reality that it is a threat to every person (and especially those at high risk) exercising their right to vote in person. This sort of cavalier attitude will to lead to deaths as a direct result of votes cast in person. When death is a predictable and directly linked outcome of our voting procedures, the voting process can not function as it was intended. It doesn’t matter if some people like yourself aren’t deterred, it matters that some are deterred. It also matters a lot that some will die as a direct result of their decision to vote. We know this will happen, we can all count on it happening. You may think that it’s stupid to be deterred from voting in person because of the virus, but there is ample and sound reasoning to feel otherwise. Anyone with health issues that put them at risk, that must also exercise their right to vote in person, will face a difficult decision. You may scoff at that decision because it would be easy for you, but that doesn’t mean it is easy for everyone, and it certainly doesn’t change the fact that voting in person right now carries risks with it that are not normally associated with voting. These risks do have a negative effect on the right to vote. Choosing not to acknowledge those risks does not invalidate that fact.

• Duke
              Duke commented
              Editing a comment
              If you want to vote, then get into your bubble, put on your mask, and go vote. Don't tell me that these people don't go anywhere.
              Quit being afraid of dying, that's life. Your chances of dying are greater driving to a store. GOD is going to take you when he wants you.
              To me this argument sounds like a generation that has to have a trophy for participating. Change the whole system for just a few, come on, Man up! Quit being a pussy.
              You want to vote? Get on your mask and just do it.

• GreenMachine
              GreenMachine commented
              Editing a comment
              How would you feel if you told your elderly mother the same thing, and she died because of it?

Like I’ve said multiple times, I am not afraid to go out and vote (I vote by mail anyway, so it’s a non issue for me). I’m standing up for those that are, and should be afraid to expose themselves to this virus. The honest truth to the matter is that the people I am standing up for are more likely than not to vote against my own interest. Older people tend to vote more conservatively. A threat to the right to vote is way more concerning to me than the results of any single election.

The reality is that the argument I’ve laid out (whether you agree with it or not) provides a legitimate route through which the election can be contested by either side. The fact that 7 states have not made concessions that mitigate the concerns surrounding the virus leaves our democracy in a position where the vote is susceptible to challenges that can undermine public confidence in our democracy to function properly. That is how democracies fall apart. This is a threat to all of us no matter who you vote for, or how serious you take the threat of this virus.

I can all but guarantee that losing candidates in the 7 states I named in races of all sorts will point to this issue as a reason for contesting the results. That is not how things are supposed to go, and it will have been easily avoidable. Why would you ever think that the predictable and avoidable mess that is about to unfold is an acceptable way to run things?

I would bet that if there was a stimulus check waiting for you at the voting booth, that 99.99% of the people would make it to the voting areas.

Comment

• GreenMachine
              GreenMachine commented
              Editing a comment
              And a whole lot of desperate people would die at the hands of the government in a scenario like that. Not really sure what you are trying to say here?

• Duke
              Duke commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol, a whole lot of desperate people WOULD die????
              Won't be dying if they're wearing their mask. They go to stores, fueling stations, post office, etc., etc.

• GreenMachine
              GreenMachine commented
              Editing a comment
              I know this thread is a long read, but as I’ve said countless times, my entire point is that some people are not safe going into grocery stores, getting gas, and picking up prescriptions. They are relying on others to do these things for them. I personally know some of these people. Voting must be done by the voter in question and is supposed to be an unencumbered right. It is not appropriate to compare the two.

Wearing a mask and sanitizing are tools that reduce risk, but they are not foolproof. There will be people who will die as a direct result of the decision to vote in person this year. It is a statistical certainty.

This is the Roadstar Clinic website, right? Or did I accidentally stumble into a political chatroom...
            2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

• GreenMachine
              GreenMachine commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol. There has always been political discussions here. Sorry if it’s bothering you. Ride on!

I pretty sure that anyone can request an absentee ballot.and exercise their right o vote so the BS about an elderly person voting in person and getting covid and dying carries no weight.

Comment

That is true for the majority of states. However, Arizona, Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Wyoming, Kansas, and Maine all limit access to absentee ballots and have not changed their policies to accommodate the threat of the virus.

https://ballotpedia.org/Absentee/mail-in_voting

The argument holds in these places, and there will likely be a resulting mess in many or all of these states.

Comment

• davej
                davej commented
                Editing a comment
                I should have said the Dems (politicians) aren't trying to make changes on absentee ballot voting all they are fighting for is universal ballot voting.

• Jaybo
                Jaybo commented
                Editing a comment
                In those states all they have to say is that they will not be in the county to vote. The reality here is they are trying to allow mail in voting without preparing for it. They are trying to bypass the absentee system. If they succeed in doing that there will be chaos. You CAN NOT make major changes to a long established voting system without proper preparation for doing so. They could do mail voting of the ballots and then have to take them by car or foot and allow for social distancing to drop them off to a local precinct drop off point to check the validity of the person voting. It took years to develop mail in voting to the states that do it now, and trying to change that in 2 or 3 months time in a very hotly contested election is NOT going to work. That's why the left is pushing for it. If they can create enough chaos and doubt in the validity of the election, on January 20th, Nancy Pelosi will become our president. Simple fact.

• GreenMachine
                GreenMachine commented
                Editing a comment
                I don’t think that using the long established absentee system to accommodate more voters can be considered a major change. How is it that you think this will cause chaos? We know there will be more absentee ballots this year and states should be well prepared for that. What makes you believe that preparing for a surge in absentee voting is somehow a big enough challenge that states couldn’t possibly be prepared for it? I don’t get it. Why would preparing for in person drop off be any less challenging? Are you concerned about the security of these states (listed in post # 81 below) absentee voting procedures? If so, what is the flaw, in particular that concerns you?

Many of the states that have allowed for people to site Covid-19 as a reason for absentee voting have Republican leadership that made these decisions. I’m confused as to how you think this could be a big Democrat led conspiracy?

The Supreme Court rejected an emergency appeal that sought permission for voters in Texas to cast absentee ballots in this year’s elections if they feared coronavirus risks from voting in person.

Comment

It looks like Wyoming has changed their policy! That’s good! Looking into the other states now.

It takes 2 minutes to get your absentee ballot. Get started now.

Comment

Common sense is out the door. Might as well be talking to my dog.
                  As a matter of fact, the more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Comment

• GreenMachine
                    GreenMachine commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No need to toss out insults.

• roadiemort
                    roadiemort commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Man loves his dog lol.

Election official wants to require a positive diagnosis for mail-in voters despite lags in testing

Comment

Okay, after looking further into the states listed on that site I linked as having no voting regulatory response to Covid-19, only Texas and Louisiana have restrictions that do not accommodate concerned voters. In one sense, I am very relieved, but two states is still two too many.

Comment

So... If we changed the way we do mail in voting for This election... Would the Sems agree to go back to the previous way OR do they want a "forever" change?
                      LET'S RIDE

Comment

• davej
                        davej commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That would depend on the outcome of this election.lol

• GreenMachine
                        GreenMachine commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It’s pretty clear they want universal mail in voting as a long term goal. There are political calculations that run parallel to legitimate arguments on both sides of that coin.

I have been voting by mail/drop box via both absentee and universal mail in voting for 24 years. I have only voted in person a handful of times. I would never choose to go back to having to do it in person. That’s just me though.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Bip_Bip, 2 days ago
                    20 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post roadiemort  
                    Started by roadiemort, 2 days ago
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post roadiemort  
                    Started by Darkkill57, 1 day ago