Any roadstar sidecarist's out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any roadstar sidecarist's out there?

[ATTACH=JSON]n91074[/ATTACH]looking to discuss sidecars with anyone on this forum :-)
    this one is dialed in and runs like a champ!
    Plenty of power and sticks to the road like glue....
    Objective when building was to keep it as narrow as possible, electric tilt to keep it straight down the road, easy ride all the way around....

What is this electric tilt you speak of?

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
      Father Pobasturd commented
      Editing a comment
      It adjusts the camber on the sidecar wheel to allow for different load weights.

• eardog2
      eardog2 commented
      Editing a comment
      extreme overall width out side edge to out side edge is 67".....

• eardog2
      eardog2 commented
      Editing a comment
      The really nice thing about electric lift on a sidecar besides adjustment for weight differences is that at high speeds (65 -80 +) YOU CAN ADJUST FOR WIND DRAG .....
      -- Also, on road surfaces good, bad, up or down .... the electric lift helps you adjust for each condition specifically...

Just sold this black beauty. Not on a Roadstar, but it should have been. This hack was loaded, power tilt, the works.

Comment

I have a Velorex 562 mounted on a Vstar 650...tons of fun....wish it was on a Road Star
      "I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't chew Big Red.....then Fuck You"

Comment

Does not look like you have raked trees or a steering stabilizer. I have always maintained that if you have the toe-in and the rear axle lead dialed in right, you don't need those things. Have you ever ridden a stock H-D sidecar rig? H-D is the only one who run zero lead on the rear axle. Makes for light front steering, too light if you ask me. Too easy to make the front wheel wash out with all the weight so far back. I tried it just out of curiosity with a Yamaha XS 650 and a Velorex 562E. Same effect. Moved the sidecar axle forward 4 inches and the front wheel stuck much better. H-D has mounted their hacks like that since the dawn of time, so I thought maybe they were on to something, that's partly why I tried it. I still don't understand why they do it. Maybe 'cause their factory cars are so damn heavy.

I'm guessing the car you have is a Champion. My last one (pictured previously) was a Champion Classic, a pretty heavy car in it's own right. Would have been too much for that Fatboy, but it was 107 C.I.D. with Axtell cylinders, Delkron cases, Crane cams and ECU and a Mikuni HSR 42. It had the spunk to pull it pretty good, just couldn't keep it charging, plus the wife lost interest, it was hers, so we sold it. I would have loved to have put that hack on my Roadstar but she wouldn't have it, she wanted her money back out of it. I'm still hoping I can come up with one for it somewhere down the road. I really love sidecar, my wife was pretty good with one at one time. She could fly the chair with the best of 'em. We had a Velo set up on a BMW R-65, that was a sweet rig. She rode the livin' piss outta that one. I had one on a 1949 El Panhead, and on a 1982 Honda Silverwing. Built my own sub-frame assembly for that one, as the Silverwing has no frame, everything just kind of bolts to the motor. The guy at Dauntless Motors (I'm sure you heard of them if you are into sidecars) will sell you a sub-frame for your Silverwing for $650. Hell, I only paid $500 for the whole bike! I wasn't about to do that. So, I looked at pictures on the one he had and made my own. It wasn't pretty, but, what the hell, the rest of the bike wasn't either so it didn't really matter. That CX motor will take a lot of abuse, I can attest to that. 70K miles and still had the original clutch too.

When my kids were small enough to both fit in the 562, my wife would hop on the back and we would all go riding together, as a family. When they got bigger, my wife would ride her own bike and I would haul the girls. I know a lot of guys sell their bikes when they have kids, I saw no need for that. We found a way to make it fun for everyone. My girls are all grown now (19 and 22), and neither of them have much interest in motorcycles. Go figure. I still love them as much as I did in 5th grade, scribbling little doodles of them all over my book covers in school. I love sidecars in low traction conditions, mud is great, you can churn right on through some nasty shit. Do-Nuts are fun in the wet, and flying the chair is one of my favorite pastimes. So much you can do with them, not to mention the practical aspects as well. Anyway, I could go on all night but I'll stop here. There have been a couple guys on here with rigs on Roadstars, I think there's only one guy left, hopefully he or they will contribute to this thread.

Comment

FATHA PO , NOW you have to give us a link to some pictures of your family history with the kids in the sidecar. and what the hell no damn dog?

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
            Father Pobasturd commented
            Editing a comment
            I had lots of pics like that, unfortunately when my house in New Mexico burned down I lost them all.

• brianmac
            brianmac commented
            Editing a comment
            ah but u have the memories and u can take them anywhere, tell us some stories.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Father Pobasturd, 2 hours ago
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post davej
        by davej

Started by Father Pobasturd, 2 hours ago
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Father Pobasturd