X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Bandwidth

Got a message from vBulletin today:
    Bandwidth usage last month was 28.43 GB, which exceeded what the plan allows (25 GB)

This was a warning sent by the forum server to let us know we are exceeding our allotment of bandwidth.
    If we get repeated warnings, the price of hosting doubles at the next hosting level with more bandwidth.

When posting images, PLEASE reduce the image size using one of the many free tools online before uploading to the forum server.
    Posting a 5 MB picture of your bike is excessive, an image 1/50 that size would suffice since it would look exactly the same on a computer monitor.

Thanks

::: EDIT FOR UPDATE :::
    https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...5656#post65656
    Last edited by BubbaKahuna; 3 weeks ago.

Does the amount of pics someone has under their media section effect the Bandwidth?

Comment

Yessir.

Comment

Cancelling the thread "For all you lurkers just looking in the window" would likely cut down the bandwidth with 90%.

Comment

• Flashback
          Flashback commented
          Editing a comment
          I wondered if that would bite on this forum, on the old forum we had to limit thread size.........

Not sure who you are calling a cheap bastard, but if I'm one of them then please discuss it with me directly.

Comment

• viking
          viking commented
          Editing a comment
          I brought it up because you are making a general statement. And for the record, I have contributed also.

I'm not... I contributed. I'd say he means those that didn't step-up, when we were asked.

Comment

Mort, You only have 1041 videos in your media. Wonder how much bandwidth that use's?

Comment

Well, like he said, he supports the forum with a passion and financially... and, I for one, love a great deal of the content he posts on his lurkers thread... I'm just sayin'....

Comment

i agree if all gave sone cash on a annual basis we could have a lot of bandwidth but not everyone did or will so we are stuck with whats available to us to work with. would clearing out old pm's and such help at all?
              my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

Comment

I also donate when asked. I was just pointing out where things could be deleted to remedy the issue. Not passing judgement. Does anybody know how to delete pics from your media? I could also delete some, if I knew how?

Comment

BubbaKahuna is right about using an online image resizer. It definitely reduces mb size of an image. I just resized an image on http://www.simpleimageresizer.com an compared the results. The original image was 4864kb and the resized image is 1528kb. The picture still looks the same on the computer so it would also look the same on the forum but use considerably less bandwidth. I don't know if the same would go for cell phones but surely doable on the computer.

Not being cheap here. Just paying attention to BubbaKahuna. I would gladly step up to the plate more if that's what it takes to keep the sight running. There's also the option of requiring a paid subscription to post. Just think about all the bandwidth being used by newbies posting content and pics that haven't contributed to the forum and contributing members here posting pics and content back to them. Most other bike forums run a read but only post if you are a paid member and it's for this reason.

Comment

FYI - We're looking into this, it's merely a heads up, we'll provide more details as they become available. In the mean time, try to be conscientious of the size of the content you're posting. Thank you.

Comment

Good explanation grubsie on the value of downsizing the image. I work in the IT field but don't do web development so not 100% on all the back-end details. But a couple thoughts.

Can the forum software be configured to not allow excessive sized photos? I've interacted with some in the past that had such limits. Keeps folks from uploading that 5M photo for all of us to click on and download many times over. Or if the site could automatically resize the photo?

Also, if the photo is available elsewhere you can use the link option to your post. I'm pretty sure that doesn't count towards the RSC site and bandwidth as your browser is just told where to look (elsewhere) to get the photo. I know Photobucket left a bad taste but maybe there are some other options for folks.

I'm not sure but I don't think the You Tube videos and music in the Lurkers thread would count to bandwidth either as that content is still on their site, you're simply linked to where to find it.

And lastly, I contributed as many others here did as well. This place has been great in that it is welcoming to all and I wouldn't want that to change as I too was a new member at one time. So I wouldn't want to prevent someone from using this site just because they're not a paying member. But maybe we could have something like a badge next to our profile name that indicates a paying member or some other perk to identify.? I too would also support giving a little more if it's needed. I come here daily and would hate to see the activity here stifled.

Comment

• D-Fresh
                        D-Fresh commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've been on other forums that used the model of some sort of badge/icon that indicated a supporting member.
                        Like you, not sure what is involved in the site having some limit on image size but that seems like a sure way of "policing" the image size policy.

I'll have to admit i didn't know there was an issue with bandwidth on the forum. Being fairly new here compared to most of the regulars i wasn't aware, there may be many other people like myself that didn't know bandwidth was an issue. I for sure from now on will reduce pic sizes before posting. I do also believe if you benefit from the use of great resource like this forum or MotoFaction, etc. you should pony up. You use it, you support it, simple as that. Look at it this way, how many times to people come on here with all sorts of issues that need repaired and they all get free advice to fix their issue. If they had to take it to a mechanic they don't get work done for free so the same goes here, you benefit, you support.
                      2012 Road Star Silverado S

Comment

Bandwidth usage is a complicated thing. But basically it's all of the data that our site transfers to and from the server. That includes people viewing posts, with or without images, messages, emails, etc. But it also includes views by search engines that crawl our site. So while it's possible that a particular thread may have a lot of images, that's no different than 10 threads that add up to the amount of images. It's all data.

Bandwidth will inherently increase as we gain more users and build up more data in our post library. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't take step to keep it from getting out of hand. To keep hosting costs down we rely on everyone regulating themselves. That was the purpose of this post. It was just a heads up about the bandwidth alert from our host. It's possible that we've done everything we can do to limit attachment sizes and such, and this is just the natural progress of the site growing again. We just don't have enough information yet to know for sure.

As to a "pay to play" option. We've considered memberships or subscriptions, but that's not how the RSC was built and we don't think that it's a direction we want to go. This site was always meant to be free. We've also considered advertising to bring in revenue. This is how the old site was funded, along with Gram's contributions of running it himself. We haven't decided if ads are a direction we want to go, but it's an option.

Running this site is an expense and so far we've relied on the generous donations from members to keep the community going. But donating does not give anyone the right to talk over or berate anyone else who chose not to donate, or was not able to. That will not be tolerated. We haven't identified any bandwidth issues with specific users so please don't jump to conclusions and start pointing fingers. If the admins identify a issue with a user or a thread then we will deal with that on a side discussion.

If you have any questions or concerns please PM one of the admins.
                        Manuals, Roadwing, other stuff
                        PGR
                        PGT MT

Comment

what if we all learned morse code...the fbi and cia would go out of their minds...they would think that there was a conspiracy to take over the government and we were using a special code, "that's right, we'ez usin' code names" (raising arizona)...anyway they would have teams of their agents all across america deciphering our posts and would come to the obvious conclusion that we are a terrorist sleeper cell and and the rides coming up this summer are the dates and places we plan to hit first...you know how they operate, chop off the head and destroy the chain of command so doc you better head out to "the camp" and maybe change your name and have your finger prints removed (i can help with that as i have a blow torch and a hammer)...no more texts or emails, they're onto us, who's pounding at my front door, don't shoot i'm not armed aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh...

or maybe we should just keep it the way it is...bond, zing bond...

ps....were you either shaken or stirred by that cautionary tale?...

Comment

No one knows who paid and who didn’t and it doesn’t matter. Some folks may not be in a financial position to pay and that’s none of my business. I appreciate being made aware of the band issue and will do what I can to minimize data while still posting info that supports the site. The only bastards I know are those who call others bastards or pass judgement on others who they know nothing about.
                            signature

Comment

• zingpow
                              zingpow commented
                              Editing a comment
                              right on, the fuckin' fuckers...zing bastard esquire III

• Father Pobasturd
                              Father Pobasturd commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Funny you would mention spinning it...that's exactly what you just did. That or some piss-poor backpedaling.

people
                            people who need people
                            are the luckiest people in the world...

the sentiment of that song sucked then and it sucks now...zing the less needy...

Comment

Que sera sera, whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see. Que sera sera. Doris Day's Mom as sung by Doris.

Comment

• zingpow
                                zingpow commented
                                Editing a comment
                                here you go with doris day again...my emotional life lays in ruins on the bearskin rug of lost dreams due to the years of unbridled depravity she and i shared during my formative years...you flaunt her memory in front of the only one she EVER played "prisoner and the warden's wife" with and you are totally oblivious of the pain and suffering you are causing my tattered soul...how do you stand yourself...zing in the mists of time and pain...

She's so sweet and pure...it's hard for me to envision her on the shitter grunting out a dry one.

Comment

• MikeyC
                                MikeyC commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Awww! FPB, you have scarred me for life with that image.

• Father Pobasturd
                                Father Pobasturd commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I don't know what's more disgusting...that or Zing having a hard-on for her. OK enough hijacking this thread.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by midnitmike, 5 hours ago
                            3 responses
                            1 like
                            Last Post Lug Nut
                            by Lug Nut

Started by JoeBloShmo, 3 hours ago
                            3 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Horsehammerr