Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rexer
    started a topic New member

Hey all! Just started lurking on the site today so thought I would just join up and ask some questions. I’m looking for a good powerful reliable cruiser. I don’t want just a couch. I want something to motor hard on and be comfortable. I’m looking at the roadliner/stratoliner, R* 1700, Star 1300, RSTD or even a Warrior. ? Most of my riding to date (on a Kawi ZRX1200) is on back roads/town (New England) and some highway. I want my cruiser to be able to be aggressive on the back roads but comfortable enough should I decide to do a long weekend trip. It seems like any of these bikes could fit the bill and I know I need to find some seat time to compare them. But I’m looking for some feedback on the reliability and people’s day to day experience with these steeds and what they really are capable of. Oh and my wife rides her own bike (Indian Scout) so most of my riding is one up. Thanks!

• rustybones49801
    replied
    from Iron Mountain, Michigan

Leave a comment:

• LDofDC
    replied

Leave a comment:

• highvoltage
    replied
    from Conway, SC

Leave a comment:

• Old Man
    replied
    from Northwest Illinois. Post often and ride safe!!!

Leave a comment:

• roadiemort
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Chromepony
    replied
    from Athens, Georgia.
    I would have to go with a Warrior for some "Sport Cruising".

Leave a comment:

• dustybin
    replied
    from isle of wight , ive had many xjr13s which are great fun but keep off the high speed deep corners , triumph tiger 885 or 955 great fun once your used to the height , my friend has a Thunderbird and loves it , another friend has a rocket111 moded right up and handles surprisingly well for a tank , i like the heart of the rs but i new to the cruisers and its not always the easiest transition to make , for me anyways , good luk with your search

Leave a comment:

• D-Fresh
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Rexer! A friend of mine has the 1100 rex and likes it a lot. He keeps telling me he will let me ride it but it is currently out of commission... dang! BTW, the Eddie Lawson color scheme is definitely my favorite.

• Doc_V
    replied
    from Alameda, CA. I came from sport bikes and inline fours and the power delivery and riding style of a big twin is much different, but once I learned to adapt, I can canyon carve with the best of them. The R* does start to show it's limits on the 60+ higher speed corners. As mentioned, you do need to upgrade the suspension, but is easy enough. Personally I've never scraped the frame, the floorboards act like curb feelers; when they scrape I know I have plenty of room left before I touch down the hard parts... They have replaceable skid-plates for a reason.

All the bikes you mentioned are good. With the longer wheelbase, the Roadliner/Stratoliner are more on the comfort and overall grunt side. As mentioned, the Raider is definitely worth checking out. Good luck with whatever you choose and be sure et us know which way you go.
    Last edited by Doc_V; 4 weeks ago.

Leave a comment:

• BigPainRing
    replied
    from the Arklatex. Sounds to me like your looking for a high performance cruiser like a Ducati Diavel or Yamaha V-Max. My Roadstar is a nice diversion from my higher performance bikes. While it can be pushed surprisingly fast through twisties it has a big weight, lean clearance, suspension and horsepower disadvantage compared to more sporting motorcycles.

Leave a comment:

• Rexer
    replied
    That’s a nice looking ride D-Fresh. My zrx fills the Fjr needs. Looking for “lazy spirited” cruiser. If there is such a thing.

Leave a comment:

• D-Fresh
    commented on 's reply
    Pretty cool you're riding a 100k mile bike!

• D-Fresh
    replied
    What about the FJR? Not sure how far back that model goes since you're probably looking for a used one.

Leave a comment:

• Rexer
    replied
    I know I’m not going to find a cruiser that rips and leans like my ZRX. I am just looking for a cruiser that I can ride “spiritedly “ when it’s time.

Leave a comment:

• Rexer
    replied
    Yes ground clearance/lean angle was a concern I had with these big boys. Great input fellas! I’ll see what kind of seat time I can get. The Beamer is a great bike but I’m not looking to dish out 20k!!

Leave a comment:

• Father Pobasturd
    replied
    Representing Scorpion Gulch, Arizona..From your description, the Roadstar is not for you. It's quite easy to drag the frame on either side, which could unload the rear tire and send you into an intimate relationship with the asphalt. $600-700 of suspension upgrades may help some ( that's if you do the work, if you have to pay someone to do it, double it) but, in actuality, it's a poser bike. It doesn't do anything great, but it does a lot of things good. A Roadstar Warrior may fill the bill better. One of the 'Liners may not be a bad choice either. But they will all be way down on power and much slower than your ZRX-1200. The only bike I can think of that has what you want is the new BMW K1600B. 160 horsepower from the factory, hope you got $20K or good credit if you want one of those. I would avoid anything Victory seeing as how they no longer exist.

Leave a comment:

• mlharper
    replied
    From Plano Texas.

Leave a comment:

• Shores
    replied
    Get a Raider! Or the new Venture or Eluder.

Leave a comment:

• twowheeltherapy
    replied
    Ah, the search for the "perfect" bike! This is always an interesting process. It's such a subjective thing. .

Try not to over think everything. It may boil down to what feels the best to you. It may be when you sit on one or drive one. My problem was I only had Honda's in the past (water cooled) and even though I loved everything I saw and heard about the roadstar, I allowed the air cool thing be MY hang-up. I made a big deal out of nothing. Plus, at the time I didn't consider the aftermarket availability for the roadstar, nor knew anything about this great and valuable community which has made a huge difference in enjoying my roadstar.

One thing that's nice about what you will hear is that everyone here is honest and well rounded, many own other brands along with their roadstars. They won't only be PRO roadstar.

Can ANY bike be a - be all, do all? I love my roadstar for it's full spectrum of enjoyment. When I feel like a lazy easy going cruise this thing is nimble and lopping along like a thing of beauty. When I pull the throttle back and let the horses run, this beast responds effortlessly as if to say....bring it on! I do several multi state road trips I'd love to do trips like that on a street glide or Indian, I'm sure it's a greater experience, but I'm not complaining and not slowing down on this 100,000 mile roadstar.

And

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by brianmac, 3 days ago
3 responses
0 likes
Last Post Spydr
by Spydr

Started by D-Fresh, 4 days ago
9 responses