Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Fairings ?

Hello ,
    New to the Road Star world. Just got a 2008 RS . Got it fixed up and tuned at the shop. Took it out for a afternoon ride and 15MPH winds on the HWY kicked my butt... It has a fairing, but I don't think tis doing the job. Found these and wondering if anyone has tried them ?
    Yamaha Motorcycles Lower Fairings (jtdcycleparts.net)
    They look perfect. Only thing is I don't know what is OEM on the bike and what is not. Could use some help.

I want to :
    Change the bags it came with,
    Get some sort of lower fairing for wind resistance,
    Trunk seat for the old lady...
    Paint the upper fairing to match the bike.

Any other sugguestions ?

Also came wtih a tuner but no idea how to even start with that. Mechanic told me they have a aggressive setting which is causing the popping and backfiring... which is kind of growing on me... lol....

So ! Any suggestions ?
    Attached a photo.

I have HD lower and uses HD touring engine guard. Need to make brackets to for both the lower mounts to foot rest bolts. I think all in was like $200 for the bar and lowers black gel coat on my bike.

Comment

Take the tuner off the bike and plug the o2 sensors back in. The bikes computer will do all the fuel adjustment needed even with aftermarket exhaust and air filter.
      Also remove the AIS if it hasn't already been removed. It will cause decell popping and it just injects fresh air into the exhaust port to burn any unburned fuel in the exhaust for emissions.

Comment

Read this entire thread below and report back in 3 days for the 250 question exam!

https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...ion-facts-tips

Comment

I forgot to say, please don't get in the habit of taking it to the shop or a "qualified mechanic". They are far and few between. There's much more knowledge here on this site than you would ever find in a typical shop. These bikes are extremely easy to work on and folks here have the mods dialed in to perfection. Plus you have a fuel injected bike which will give you absolutely no problems, just don't listen to anything a mechanic tells you. The biggest mistake on these fuelies is that people try to add the aftermarket fuel processor and the bike never runs good after that. They end up removing it and it sits on a shelf. The OEM processor will do fine with any intake or exhaust modifications you do.

Comment

• Cazwik
            Cazwik commented
            Editing a comment
            Searching back through I just caught this post somehow. Seems like it's going to be a project. The mechanic I have helping me out when I first asked about removing the tuner said " I wouldn't if those are aftermarket pipes " when I went to borrow a tool today and told him about the forums discussion he admitted the forums are probably right , they know all about their subject! Lol.

Originally posted by Shores View Post
          I forgot to say, please don't get in the habit of taking it to the shop or a "qualified mechanic". They are far and few between. There's much more knowledge here on this site than you would ever find in a typical shop. These bikes are extremely easy to work on and folks here have the mods dialed in to perfection. Plus you have a fuel injected bike which will give you absolutely no problems, just don't listen to anything a mechanic tells you. The biggest mistake on these fuelies is that people try to add the aftermarket fuel processor and the bike never runs good after that. They end up removing it and it sits on a shelf. The OEM processor will do fine with any intake or exhaust modifications you do.
          Thanks, I am going to see about taking that thing off and letting it do its own thing. I am also wondering if my "wind" troubles were something else. When I would get to 70 on the HWY it does quite the wobble... with 15 MPH winds my Vrod with no visor has no problem with most weather... I think this bike is heavier and was wobbling with a fairing. Going to look into it more, just not very confident in my mechanic ability on these things lol .

Comment

Originally posted by davej View Post
            Take the tuner off the bike and plug the o2 sensors back in. The bikes computer will do all the fuel adjustment needed even with aftermarket exhaust and air filter.
            Also remove the AIS if it hasn't already been removed. It will cause decell popping and it just injects fresh air into the exhaust port to burn any unburned fuel in the exhaust for emissions.
            Would this be as simple as taking off the tuner , buying a O2 , and plugging it back in? Going to look into it !

Comment

• davej
              davej commented
              Editing a comment
              should be. did they leave the o2's in the exhaust and jut unplug them?

Your wobble problem is most likely wrong fairing angle, not sloped back enough. Look at mine, rock steady.

Comment

• davej
              davej commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with mort.

• Cazwik
              Cazwik commented
              Editing a comment
              Would you guys have any idea how I would troubleshoot this ? I'm guessing I need a better bracket?

Originally posted by roadiemort View Post
            Your wobble problem is most likely wrong fairing angle, not sloped back enough. Look at mine, rock steady.
            Thanks! That would make sense... I'll check it out and see if I can work it back. Where did you get your trunk ? Love your paint.

Comment

• roadiemort
              roadiemort commented
              Editing a comment
              All the luggage is Yamaha Royal Star Venture mostly bolt on.

I've never installed an aftermarket processor on my fuelie, just heard others complain about them. I don't know if they're just daisy chained in line with the stock processor or if they bypass the stock processor. I don't even know where it's located. Hopefully you still have the stock processor on the bike. The O2 sensors are screwed into the exhaust headers and then wires connect to the sensors from the main harness. Check to make sure you have sensors in your headers. The wires would just be hanging if they are not connected. Though all exhaust systems generally fit all years of roadstars, some systems don't have bungs welded in for the sensors to thread into. Hopefully you're exhaust has the bungs. If they are not being used, they probably have a bolt screwed into them instead of the sensor. If you don't have bungs on your headers you would have to have them welded in to receive the sensors.

Comment

Ok new Friends, 2 projects on my table. Fix my Fairing , Get the Tuner out.

I put some pictures up. Hopefully the fairing can be simply positioning the bolts. I took a picture of the bracket the previous owner used.
              Looks like the tuner is a "FI2000" I was thinking of doing a search for installing one and simply trying to reverse. nervous on that one. Any input or advice will be needed and appreciated!

Comment

• roadiemort
                roadiemort commented
                Editing a comment
                The stock risers will not allow you to move your fairing back, as you can see it is hitting there already.

The stock risers will not allow you to move your fairing back, as you can see it is hitting there already.
              yes... so I was thinking of drilling a hole to move the the brack one space up and one space forward.... like i did in the diagram here. Thoughts ?

Comment

Originally posted by roadiemort View Post
                Don't folks use Royal Star risers to solve that problem? They are not straight but rather slight pull back risers.

Comment

• roadiemort
                  roadiemort commented
                  Editing a comment
                  USA Trailer Store fairing is part of the issue also, the mounting plates they supply need some mods also.Don't know if the RS risers will be enough but if cheap enough give them a try.

Originally posted by Shores View Post

Don't folks use Royal Star risers to solve that problem? They are not straight but rather slight pull back risers.
                Found plenty of those on Ebay for under 30$ ... would this be better option then drilling holes in that fairing bracket?

Comment

• roadiemort
                  roadiemort commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The bracket is just a flat plate on yours I believe, some have cut new plate and put holes where they needed them along with risers. I don't know if those risers will be enough on their own.

• Cazwik
                  Cazwik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Roadiemort. I'll try to modify bit by bit and see if it helps... really want to keep the fairing or possibly upgrade to a better one in the future... love hearing music while i and i like the look .

99-09 Yamaha Royal Star Venture XVZ1300 HANDLEBAR HOLDER RISERS HANDLEBAR CLAMP

Comment

• roadiemort
                  roadiemort commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Post a better pic showing things a bit more clearly.

• Jclevesque
                  Jclevesque commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those are the ones I used with the Dchopper fairing mount for HD and they work good with this application. You can still get at the bolts with the fairing mounted to adjust the bars.

99-09 Yamaha Royal Star Venture XVZ1300 HANDLEBAR HOLDER RISERS HANDLEBAR CLAMP
                ost a better pic showing things a bit more clearly.
                So I did the following... I took off the fairing from the bracket... The risers are deff in the way. Even if I tried to drill a hole the fairing looks like it could not rest properly. So I tried to move the fairing closer. The result was the same. Looks like I am going to have to get those royal risers a shot. I think the main problem is the fairing is not really fit for this bike at all....

I took a few pictures, let me know if there is something more specific that you need to see.

Comment

• Cazwik
                  Cazwik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I read on another thread after doing some digging that some people who switched over to the Royal risers had a problem where the bolt wasn't long enough. Is there a place to check for the bolts?

• Jclevesque
                  Jclevesque commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They fit no issue on my 2004

I have never seen that setup on a road* The stock windshield bracket seems to be missing.

Comment

• Cazwik
                  Cazwik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This part seems to be a little harder to find on ebay

This was my setup Wide Open Customs fairing.

Comment

Hmm your fairing seems to sit alot lower then mine does. So maybe I should look for the windshield mount along with the risers?

Thinking about taking it off for now and building it back up right. really curious if the wobble comes without the fairing .... May also get a stand and do a flop test while I am at it ...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Sooner1, 6 days ago
                  11 responses
                  1 like
                  Last Post Sharpman66  
                  Started by EnergyGuy, 2 days ago
                  2 responses
                  1 like
                  Last Post Jclevesque