Cracked crankcase by shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked crankcase by shop

Hi guys, first post. I’m livid. I’m selling my 2001 immaculate Roadstar with only 22,000 kms , had 5 people lined up to buy it for $3900 Put it in to a shop for brakes and thought I’d get them to do the oil while it’s there and certify. They called me today to say I have a huge crack in the crank case where the bolt goes in. I drove it to the shop and there was nothing wrong with it… no leaks, no power loss, nothing. Now they’re trying to tell me it’s always been there. Ugh. Anyways, is this something anyone has dealt with? Maybe a migweld could repair??

Never heard of that happening to any bike on this forum. I'll bet they lifted it by the engine and not the frame. We never take our bikes to the shop. They are very easy to work on. That's too bad, I would take them to small claims court.

Comment

• Chromepony
      Chromepony commented
      Editing a comment
      I would set the building on fire and shoot them when they ran out the door.

Have you seen the crack? Is the HUGE crack leaking or is it just visible when the bike is up on a lift? If it is leaking then it would have been leaking before you rode it to the shop. Suspicious, for sure. TIG welding would be the only acceptable repair but I don't see how it could be done while still assembled. Aluminum has to be TOTALLY clean, bright, and shiny. You couldn't possibly prevent oil from leaching into the crack and causing a porous weld. I don't know how anyone could mistake a casting blemish with a huge crack but maybe you should go visit the "sick patient" and get a few photos. Also look for other signs of abuse like lift blemishes and fresh shiny marks. Let us know.

Comment

• Delunatic
      Delunatic commented
      Editing a comment
      They did show me the crack…@1.5 inches around where the oil plug goes in. It absolutely leaks now that it’s cracked but was definitely not leaking when I rode it in to the shop. Yes, I normally do my own maintenance but just too busy this time around.
      I’ll have one more conversation with them to let them be honest and come clean and then probably small claims will be my only recourse. For the cost of repairs and the cash from the sale that I’ve lost.
      Thanks for the input

• roadiemort
      roadiemort commented
      Editing a comment
      No doubt in my mind they over tighten the plug and caused the damage.

Maybe I'm slow but are you trying to say that the case where the front oil drain plug goes in is cracked? That I have heard of from over tightening the drain plug.https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oe...f8d4/crankcase or https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oe...nkcase-cover-1

Comment

I've been thinking about this and I wonder if they used teflon tape on the threads of the drain plug. I don't know why they would but that would cause an aluminum casting to crack and it usually doesn't take much pressure. Also, what kind of a shop did this to your bike? Dealership, independent, other?

Comment

flip it over , clean the flock out of it. get it mig or tigged. ???????????????? i busted an output shaft on a TX750 back in the 70's , they called it heli - arc back then, but it sewed it right back up, new seal and away i went into the sunset ...i needed a XS650 frame weld/repair 2 yrs ago, had to go to ORLANDO to find an old skool bike shop that isnt afraid of morgan and morgan. it was cool, he had mid 30's indian jugs he was doing for a guy out west, hes 15 yrs my senior, pushing 80? had old bikes hanging in his shop. i took pics.

Comment

• roadiemort
          roadiemort commented
          Editing a comment
          Great advice if it is possible, does depend on a few other criteria such as casting material alloy and skill of said welder lol. I have welded a mirror polished aluminum HD primary cover that had a corner broke off with the O ring channel in it for my friend, still holding and not visible to the eye.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Xv1600, 35 minutes ago
      2 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Xv1600
      by Xv1600

Started by 07 silverado, 3 hours ago
      2 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post 07 silverado