Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

Evening all, my name is Colin and I'm looking to purchase a 99 roadstar and I could use a little guidance from those who know. It's a custom build, using a wide glide front end, softail rear, but the 1600 RS powerplant. I watched videos of it start and run. The starter relay needs to be replaced (he started it jumping the relay), but my bigger issue is there are no signals. Is this not a big deal or an indication of big problems? I feel the price is right. $2k I'll include a pic. Any advice is welcome.

Turn signals may or may not be required in your area. Hard to know if the stock wiring is still there to add signals. In my state, you can get much better Roadstars than what appears that one is for $2K. Looks like a stock frame and rear wheel with rusty disc brake to me. Be cautious of what you are being told.

Comment

Run away, Sir! You can buy Roadstars with No issues for 2K to 3K.

Comment

$1200 is more like it if it runs good and there are no title issues. Looks like it's had a hard life. How many miles are on it? You can do better that that for $2K. $2K buys you a bike with no issues, depending on where you live and / or how far you are willing to travel to get one. Offer them $1000 and see what happens.

Comment

Unless you a very experienced mechanic, willing to invest 300 hours fucking around with a rattle trap piece of shit, have $2000 to burn up, are a glutton for punishment, AND have the IQ of a liberal millenia Democrat trans activist.......RUN AWAY.

gonfind a nice complete stock/mostly stock Roadstar for $1500-3000 (very very easy to do now that it got cold out) and enjoy it and ride it and just do regular maintenance.

old patina'D shit boxes for some reason are still a thing. They shouldn't be.

Comment

• Questcap
            Questcap commented
            Editing a comment
            Too funny!!! Thanks.

• fastjohnny
            fastjohnny commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I AM a Democrat, but not the type you portray in your post. Being 67 I do not qualify for millennial status. Trans activist????? What the hell is that????
            I suppose there are typical - ish left handed labels for republicants as well, but I choose not to use stereotypical identifying tags....just saying.

I do, however, agree with what you say about the bike....I'll NEVER understand how the color "rust" can be considered attractive, let alone the fact that the bike is a bastard child of at least 3 different fathers....

• D-Fresh
            D-Fresh commented
            Editing a comment
            Tell us how you really feel LN! ;-P But i do agree that bike is not worth 2 grand or for a RS newbie.

I'm going to agree with the others... I'm a 12+ year RoadStar owner, and by the number of posts, and date of joining, you can tell that I should know a thing or two. Walk away.... Whatever all has been done to that thing, you probably don't want any part of it. For the money we're talking about here... keep shopping. the nearer to stock, and the less modified you can find, the odds are better that you'll have found a better bike. The opposite is only true, IF the owner is truly a mechanical guy, and was diligent about the maintenance. The best might be a non-mechanical type, who's selling a bone stock bike, and can produce a bunch of dealer maintenance receipts!

At this point in time, one really keen thing to ask and learn about, is how long has the owner had it, and WHAT OIL has he been using. Too many who are either ignorant, and did not know, or too cheap, and were not willing, have been running inappropriate oil in their bikes, and the risk of losing the cams and lifters has greatly increased. Anything less than THEE right answer to the oil question is a huge tip-off as to whether you should remain interested, or not. Really good answers would be the Amsoil for Jap bikes, or the Mobil 1 for V-Twins... there are other oils, too, but if he's vague, or does not specify use of an exclusive for v-twin bikes motor oil, caution is more than highly advised. I will NO longer buy any R*, since they ceased production, unless they are real clear about the oil they've been using. If they've owned it for years, and used one good oil-for-our-bikes brand, I remain interested.

Comment

from Solon, IA.

Road Stars are good bikes. But if a guy is selling a bike that has to have the starter relay bypassed, what else is he not willing to do to make the bike right? I'm in the camp with the others here. This is getting into the time of year where your $2K should be able to go further and get you something better IMHO.

Comment

I blew that picture up and I am sorry but that is a stock road star rear end. Rusty piece of shit that one is. Keep looking and you will find your bike but that one needs to stay in his garage. I would not touch that one. Once you really start taking it apart you will find all kinds of crap that is wrong. Since you don't know these bikes that well stay with as stock a bike as possible so you can get an idea of what it should be to start with. As they say start with a blank canvas not a post apocalyptic, rusty, transmogrified monster that belongs on the set of The Walking Dead
              Go ahead, I dare ya.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. I decided not to buy, and as the universe does sometimes, a better deal came by. It's not a r*, but itll do. I bought an 07 vstar 1100 for just above scrap price. She was stored in a barn and shat upon by birds and collected dust. The owner got it running for the sale. I'll put her away for the winter and have a local shop do the oil and new tires for inspection in spring. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ccbeardo View Post
                  Thanks all for the advice. I decided not to buy, and as the universe does sometimes, a better deal came by. It's not a r*, but itll do. I bought an 07 vstar 1100 for just above scrap price. She was stored in a barn and shat upon by birds and collected dust. The owner got it running for the sale. I'll put her away for the winter and have a local shop do the oil and new tires for inspection in spring. Thanks again.
                  Have a shop work on it? Blasphemy! Unless it has an oil filter relocation kit on it, you will have to drop the front header to change the filter. Should have held out for a Roadstar!

Comment

I know, I really wanted a roadie, but the price was right. For lighter maintenance I really prefer doing it myself, but I'm a full time college student, work 6 days a week, and have 6 kids at home. "Spare time" just isnt there. I even called in today so I could do homework. I'll definitely look into the relocation kit though.

Comment

So you come here to ask our advise. Take up all our time and then go buy a Vstar! Sheesh. Talk about being ungrateful! LOL

No, Seriously, enjoy the new ride. Check the tire production date. Anything over five years needs to be replaced ASAP. (or have good life insurance).

Ride Safe and Often!

Comment

What a sad ending to this thread.

Comment

Vstar 1100 is a nice bike... if I find one for cheap I would pick it up. Faster than our Roadstars for sure. Join a vstar forum and look up Tim B. (Bondourant)...he can give you good info.

Comment

The deals are out there, just have to be patient and savvy. This is an 04 bought from the original owner with 7k miles for $2300. Yes, $2300...... Not a dent/scratch/ding on it. Bluing is already removed from the pipes and hasn't returned (would indicate it was still running hot if so). Runs fantastic, has the Ultimate Seat, Yamaha Hard Bags with liners, small engine guards, kuryaken passenger floorboards, national cycle windshield with their windshield bag. Just a gorgeous bike.

Best of luck with your 1100, at least it's a Yamaha. :-) As my brother who is a life long Harley rider says, "Whatever gets you in the wind."

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Leiurus, 08-22-2019, 11:21 AM
                            17 responses
                            1 like
                            Last Post GreasySam  
                            Started by Smalls, 18 hours ago
                            15 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Smalls