Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from a potential Road Star Newbie

Greetings from Boston (for now)!

While I'm a newbie to this forum, I'm not to motorcycle riding. Rode for many years after college until family and kids came along. Took up riding again after 27 year hiatus and have an '01 Suzuki Volusia VL800 and an '07 Suzuki C50T, which have been great. A pending move to Arizona now has me reassessing the suitability of these smaller bikes for the higher highway speeds and mountainous terrain in my new location, so it's time to look for a bigger bike. I have a line on a friend's well maintained 2002 XV1600A with 14K on it. By all my research, this model seems to be pretty bullet-proof and a great ride. Any thoughts or advice from members of this forum? Thanks!

Ride Safe & Often!

Agree, great bikes.

Comment

from Solon IA. I too went on a hiatus from bikes when the kids were young. Back now with a Road* and couldn't be happier.

Comment

Buy it if the price is right. About $2500-3250 if it needs nothing. Lots of things to improve comfort and ride quality. Seats, shock/springs, pipes/air filter, etc. Tons of info on the forum. Bulletproof bikes 200k+ mile bikes if you take care of them. Cheap to own. Lots of torque can hit 115 mph and go about 200-225 miles per tank on the highway before all empty.

Comment

from California. They're great bikes, not likely as smooth or quiet as your Boulevard because they're air cooled, but much smoother than Harleys. They make lots of mechanical noise that many new owners think is an issue, until they realize it's just normal R* sounds. They are a little more quirky than you're typical Japanese bike, in that they're more like an old school V-Twin, but very reliable, very torquey, and easy to work on.

Comment

from NH. R's are great bikes if you like the old school feel. Set one up right and you will love it. Super dependable.

Comment

Thanks for the validation so far. Feeling pretty good about my plans. Thanks for the welcomes also.

Comment

Check the VIN number and see if the recall has been done by Yamaha. If it hasn't you get the tranny fixed , and you get new rings, since they have to pull your motor apart. Also gives you a chance to have the oil pump gear replaced. There are a lot of good deals out there with just a little looking.

2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

roadies have a few very minor and easy to fix weak points. the clutch spring is prone to slipping in 4th/5th after a number of miles. barnett clutch spring will fix that, the carb will tend to puke up gas when shut off on a hot summer day due to gas boiling in the carb but a smaller housing air cleaner will do wonders for that. suspension is to soft for most. but other than that the bikes run forever. i have seen many with well over 100k on them, a few with over 200k and have heard of 1 with over 300k
                  my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

Comment

Representing Scorpion Gulch, Arizona. Moving to my neck of the woods, are ya? If you have never been here, coming from Boston this could be shocking both on an environmental and cultural level. Pity coming this time of year, you'll have to bear the brutal summer before you get to experience Paradise Mode, which is pretty much 8 months out of the year. It's not bad yet, we still have a month or so before it gets rough. You can ride all year here. No putting your bike away for the winter stupid bullshit. Personally I don't care to ride past 105 degrees, but I'm an old fat man. Your results may vary.

This is the Wild West, no Bible Belt, no Daylight Savings Time, no stupid helmet law (yet) no yearly vehicle inspections (depending on which county you reside in you may have to emissions test, but motorcycles are exempt). You'll see many people wearing pistols as you grocery shop and move around in public. The population is as diverse as the environment, Rednecks, bikers, freaks and geeks but mostly just nice, normal people (author excluded). It's kind of laid back, but not as liberal as California, and not as holier-than-thou as Texas. I grew up in Texas, and once I discovered Arizona I never wanted to go back to Texas again. Desert, mountains, forests, It's all within a few hours' ride on well maintained roadways with plenty of twisty places to ride if that's your thing. The scenery is nothing short of breathtaking. The Grand Canyon, Devil's canyon, Salt river canyon, Sedona with it's infamous Red Rocks, and Yarnell Mountain just to name a few.

Scorpion Gulch is home now, and I'll be glad to help you out if I can. If you're moving somewhere around Phoenix, check with me and I'll tell you the areas you may want to avoid. Good luck!

P.S. You won't find Scorpion Gulch on any map It's kind of a ghost town. That's why I represent it 'cause there's no one else to. I actually live about 50 miles south of Phoenix in Florence.

Comment

• Questcap
                      Questcap commented
                      Editing a comment
                      FPB, you ain't foolin' anyboday... You left Texas for AZ when you learned of an outstanding warrant!!! ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	64449
                    Originally posted by Father Pobasturd View Post
                    Representing Scorpion Gulch, Arizona...........You won't find Scorpion Gulch on any map It's kind of a ghost town.
                    I came to visit, but you weren’t home!
                    signature

Comment

Originally posted by Father Pobasturd View Post
                      Representing Scorpion Gulch, Arizona. Moving to my neck of the woods, are ya? If you have never been here, coming from Boston this could be shocking both on an environmental and cultural level. Pity coming this time of year, you'll have to bear the brutal summer before you get to experience Paradise Mode, which is pretty much 8 months out of the year. It's not bad yet, we still have a month or so before it gets rough. You can ride all year here. No putting your bike away for the winter stupid bullshit. Personally I don't care to ride past 105 degrees, but I'm an old fat man. Your results may vary.

This is the Wild West, no Bible Belt, no Daylight Savings Time, no stupid helmet law (yet) no yearly vehicle inspections (depending on which county you reside in you may have to emissions test, but motorcycles are exempt). You'll see many people wearing pistols as you grocery shop and move around in public. The population is as diverse as the environment, Rednecks, bikers, freaks and geeks but mostly just nice, normal people (author excluded). It's kind of laid back, but not as liberal as California, and not as holier-than-thou as Texas. I grew up in Texas, and once I discovered Arizona I never wanted to go back to Texas again. Desert, mountains, forests, It's all within a few hours' ride on well maintained roadways with plenty of twisty places to ride if that's your thing. The scenery is nothing short of breathtaking. The Grand Canyon, Devil's canyon, Salt river canyon, Sedona with it's infamous Red Rocks, and Yarnell Mountain just to name a few.

Scorpion Gulch is home now, and I'll be glad to help you out if I can. If you're moving somewhere around Phoenix, check with me and I'll tell you the areas you may want to avoid. Good luck!

P.S. You won't find Scorpion Gulch on any map It's kind of a ghost town. That's why I represent it 'cause there's no one else to. I actually live about 50 miles south of Phoenix in Florence.
                      Thanks for the warning Father. Unfortunately, I'm already committed to the move. Wife and I bought a house in Dewey back in December. We're at 5400ft, so it ain't as hot as Phoenix and my property backs up to the 1.2M acres Prescott National Forest. Looking forward to the change of attitude and second amendment friendliness. Also looking to be able to ride/drive my collection of toys year round. Tired of a 6 month season here in the Northeast. (although Prescott got 31" of snow a couple of weekends ago). We will be coming out April 6-13 to work on the house and I'll probably buy the bike then. Final move will most likely be later in the summer or fall. Still have lots to wrap up here in Boston. Hope to meet up with some of the folks in the area.

Comment

• Father Pobasturd
                        Father Pobasturd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nothing unfortunate about that at all! You lucky dog. I used to live in Dewey and Prescott Valley back before my breathing became an issue and I had to go to a lower elevation. Yea, you can't ride all year up there, there are 4 seasons, but it's beautiful. The largest stand of Ponderosa Pines on the continent is around Prescott. You are right in the middle of all the great riding Arizona has to offer. It's more like Colorado there than Arizona, but not as cold. There are bears, puma, Mule deer, even Elk in the forest if you hunt. Sedona is a must see, it's close by, the Verde Valley is a wonderful place to live. When you come down to Phoenix (you will), I-17 is a blast to ride, high speed sweepers through the mountains all the way to the Valley floor. You are gonna love it!

If you don't get that Road Star, there are plenty of good deals on them out here. I got mine, a 2006 1700, for $2500 and that was 6 years ago. There are a few upgrades on the 1700's the 1600's don't have. The 1600's can use the 1700 upgrades if you so desire. Mostly it's a stronger electrical system, but if you don't run extra lights, radio's and such, the stock 1600 electrics are fine. The '06 and 07's are the most refined of the carburated bikes. I didn't know this when I bought mine, I just got lucky. I didn't find this site 'til I went to remove my seat and couldn't do it (there's a trick or 2 to it).

Not sure about any RSC members up your way. A hand full down here, a few in Tuscon, one north of you in Kingman, but I have not seen him on here in a long time. You're backed up to all that B.L.M. (Bureau of Land Management) land, so if you have toys like dirt bikes, quads or a Razor, you'll have plenty to do..

Read this entire thread below.

https://www.roadstarclinic.com/forum...s-should-check
                      signature

Comment

Originally posted by Shores View Post
                        Excellent write up!! Thanks Shores! This is why I belong to so many forums.

Comment

I purchased a 2001 about a month ago after being out of the saddle for 20 years, Its a blast, learning about the bike, buying parts like crazy. I still haven't put 100 miles on yet, but Im on my way, just waiting for the weather to turn, I have been on Interstate 81 at 80 MPH and these bikes are solid. Its a nice ride

Comment

from Blanchard Oklahoma

Comment

Awesome Bikes

Comment

from Conway, SC. These bikes are bullet proof. You won't be sorry if you purchase one.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD4E387E-9DF0-4FDE-B1E4-2AA765718E98.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	67243

Well...I’m no longer a potential RS owner, I’m a full fledged member now. Bought the bike on Wednesday and going for a get acquainted ride this morning with the old owner and her husband. Very excited to have my first toy for the new AZ home and looking forward to many miles of smiles as I explore the area. Very pleased with the bike. Has a great feel to it and goobs of torque. Loud beast with V&H slash cuts! Now comes the fun part of customizing it. Already have a set of 4” risers and a Steble airhorn ordered for it.

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes and advice. I’ll be here on a regular basis asking all the newbie questions I’m sure, so I appreciate your patience. Pictures are coming.

Comment

Congrats on your new R*. They're great bikes.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                  Started by midnitmike, 6 hours ago
                                  3 responses
                                  1 like
                                  Last Post Lug Nut
                                  by Lug Nut

Started by JoeBloShmo, 3 hours ago
                                  3 responses
                                  0 likes