Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here, but...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    I bought the bike, a 2001 from the original owner. He now has too many health problems and unfortunately needed to sell it. It had 27,000kms on it. He used to go in the garage and polish and look at it. I had to take parts off the bike to find any dirt. I am fussy with brakes and took them apart and cleaned them with a toothbrush and made sure the calipers were moving properly. Flushed the brake fluid.

    We had the conversation about the recall and he told me it was done 20 years ago.

    This bike will be a daily rider for me. I ride from about march 15th until Christmas day.

    I do all my own maintenance except for putting tires on. I ordered Michelin commander II's which are going on this Friday.

    M

    Comment


    • #22
      from Sweet Home, Oregon
      It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by TorontoRoadie View Post

        I read this actually the day before I picked up my new pony. Lol.

        I am ready for the exam.

        M
        Okay first question. On a stock Roadstar, the AIS dumps fresh air into what location as you decelerate?

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Shores View Post

          Okay first question. On a stock Roadstar, the AIS dumps fresh air into what location as you decelerate?
          Oh I didn't think you would actually be testing me but sure.

          The AIS or air injection system pumps air into the exhaust during deceleration to burn off excess gas. Otherwise it might spill out on the ground and someone might slip on it and hit their head.

          Comment


        • #25
          Originally posted by TorontoRoadie View Post

          Oh I didn't think you would actually be testing me but sure.

          The AIS or air injection system pumps air into the exhaust during deceleration to burn off excess gas. Otherwise it might spill out on the ground and someone might slip on it and hit their head.
          Okay, a little harder this time. During what year, mid-year, did the factory correct the weak oil pump gear problem?

          Comment


          • #26
            Originally posted by Shores View Post

            Okay, a little harder this time. During what year, mid-year, did the factory correct the weak oil pump gear problem?
            I have read somewhat conflicting opinions about this. One lead me to believe I was in the clear, saying pre-2001 and on this site it says 2001+, so logic would dictate mid-2001 this issue was addressed by the factory.

            M

            Comment


            • #27
              Originally posted by TorontoRoadie View Post

              I have read somewhat conflicting opinions about this. One lead me to believe I was in the clear, saying pre-2001 and on this site it says 2001+, so logic would dictate mid-2001 this issue was addressed by the factory.

              M
              Nope! 2003

              OK , last question number 250. Why was there a transmission recall on some of the early models?

              Comment


              • #28
                Originally posted by Shores View Post

                Nope! 2003

                OK , last question number 250. Why was there a transmission recall on some of the early models?
                Well as I said, I read about this here, but I also read about it in another source. Yamaha originally manufactured the 2nd and 3rd gear incorrectly on the original bikes, which caused excessive wear and as a result a circlip would eventually fail, get stuck in the transmission and everything would suddenly come to a grinding halt.

                Comment


                • #29
                  Originally posted by TorontoRoadie View Post

                  Well as I said, I read about this here, but I also read about it in another source. Yamaha originally manufactured the 2nd and 3rd gear incorrectly on the original bikes, which caused excessive wear and as a result a circlip would eventually fail, get stuck in the transmission and everything would suddenly come to a grinding halt.
                  Not sure if 3rd gear was an issue, but I’ll give you that one! Circlip on 2nd gear is correct! So out of 250 questions, you get a 66%. You just barely passed the exam!

                  Comment


                  • DEEPHATE
                    DEEPHATE commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm glad I never had to take the exam but Google IS my friend!

                • #30
                  Originally posted by Shores View Post

                  Not sure if 3rd gear was an issue, but I’ll give you that one! Circlip on 2nd gear is correct! So out of 250 questions, you get a 66%. You just barely passed the exam!
                  C's make degrees.

                  Comment

                  Latest Posts

                  Collapse

                  Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Sharpman66, 3 days ago
                  13 responses
                  117 views
                  1 like
                  Last Post Boatmark  
                  Started by Steelecolin, 4 hours ago
                  5 responses
                  30 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Shores
                  by Shores
                   
                  Started by Shores, 2 days ago
                  18 responses
                  177 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Shores
                  by Shores
                   
                  Started by Russo, 7 hours ago
                  6 responses
                  26 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Jclevesque  
                  Started by Boatmark, 3 hours ago
                  1 response
                  22 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Duke
                  by Duke
                   
                  Started by LittleMike52, 11 hours ago
                  2 responses
                  56 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post LittleMike52  
                  Started by coolalexrex, 3 days ago
                  3 responses
                  105 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post MikeyC
                  by MikeyC
                   
                  Started by YZ18, 1 day ago
                  25 responses
                  135 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Shores
                  by Shores
                   
                  Started by AR. Hillbilly, 03-13-2021, 07:23 AM
                  28 responses
                  437 views
                  1 like
                  Last Post Horsehammerr  
                  Started by Dick M, 1 day ago
                  3 responses
                  65 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post moose
                  by moose
                   
                  Started by coolalexrex, 3 days ago
                  11 responses
                  133 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post coolalexrex  
                  Started by 04RoadStar1700, 4 days ago
                  12 responses
                  93 views
                  1 like
                  Last Post Ace
                  by Ace
                   
                  Started by Sparker, 4 days ago
                  18 responses
                  111 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Ace
                  by Ace
                   
                  Started by Jrose2118, 1 week ago
                  15 responses
                  234 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Ace
                  by Ace
                   
                  Started by Duke, 2 days ago
                  4 responses
                  91 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Duke
                  by Duke
                   
                  Started by Dwizzle6123, 1 week ago
                  25 responses
                  267 views
                  1 like
                  Last Post Jlb76
                  by Jlb76
                   
                  Started by LittleMike52, 3 days ago
                  7 responses
                  129 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Bikerron  
                  Started by Jaybo, 04-04-2021, 09:38 PM
                  40 responses
                  464 views
                  0 likes
                  Last Post roadiemort  
                  Started by Papi, 6 days ago
                  6 responses
                  192 views
                  1 like
                  Last Post 129drifter  
                  Started by Father Pobasturd, 04-05-2021, 10:46 AM
                  19 responses
                  341 views
                  2 likes
                  Last Post 129drifter  
                  Working...
                  X