Newbie, Widow helper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie, Widow helper

I hope I do this right, I don’t belong to any other boards. Forgive me if this is not in the right place. But I need some help. My friend passed away and I’m helping his wife pass on his stock 06 XV1700 Midnight to someone. I think I have the carb puke issue. The XV sat three years due to his illness. It has 3800 miles. My question is where does it puke from.

This one spit fuel out on the engine towards the rear or left of the air cleaner. It was too hot to see where it came from. Is that the normal deal?

Before this, I filled up and added some seafoam, rode it about 8 miles. Then let it set and idle a good while.The Idle was low so I compensated by turning it up some. Rapped on the gas, puke and she cut off.

I’m going to drop the bowl and clean out a few things tomorrow.

It also doesn’t start to well cold. Click, click, click, then it will crank and start (so far). I installed a new battery.

Never seen a bike puke gas so violently.

Carb puke is a relatively common problem on road Stars that occurs after a hot ride. It is not common if the bike is totally cool down and set for the night to have it carb puke on starting. More than likely the carburetor will have to be pulled and inspected bad gaskets somewhere. Do you know if there are any modifications to the motorcycle at all like a carb jetting or exhaust? I would say start with a good carb cleaning and checking all the gaskets. There is an overflow for the carburetor as well.

one thing to try make sure battery is fully charged and using a voltmeter to see what the volt reading is when cranking the drops much below 10 the battery is no good. If it's the original battery and I would imagine that it is that thing is 14 years old and hasn't had much juice so I wouldn't doubt that it's gone bad.
    LET'S RIDE

Comment

• RevB
      RevB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you that the plan for the carb. today. No mods at all pretty much bone stock. And a new battery.

Representing Scorpion Gulch, Arizona. After sitting so long, if it wasn't stored with some kind of fuel stabilizer. it'll need an entire fuel system clean out. Don't ride it any more until you get the puking stopped or you could find yourself sitting atop a large rolling fireball (not good). Keep a fire extinguisher close by at all times, especially if you're running it with no air breather. A beautiful bike like that with almost no miles on it, it would be a damn shame for it to go up in flames, not to mention your risk of personal injury. Probably gonna need a new battery as well. I know you are trying to prep the bike for sale and don't want to spend a lot of money, but at a bare minimum these things are gonna have to be addressed. On top of all that, resale on these bikes is at an all time low. It's unlikely you'll be able to get KBB or NADA book prices for it. Good luck, and God bless you for your act of charity.

Comment

• RevB
      RevB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the friendly welcome. I did read the one post about the mans bike catching fire. I’ll be cleaning the carburetor today. I have a lot of interest in the bike at $4200. I do will take care of the issues, last resort it will have to go to Yamaha. We won’t let it go to waste.

from Solon, IA

So what is the end goal here? I presume from your introduction you're trying to help get it in running order to sell it? As Father Pobasturd stated, even though it's riding season, the resale market isn't what it used to be.

Where are you located? Maybe a member here would be interested. Anything that burns fuel that's been sitting for a long period is likely to need some attention to the fuel system. Good luck in getting this back on the road. As mentioned, these are some awesome machines....just not highly valuable.

Comment

• RevB
      RevB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you I’m in Nashville and I have 4 people that want to see it right now for a asking price of $4200. I think that’s pretty strong. I just want to make sure I address these issues best I can.
      It rides great and I’m sure they are good bikes. I just hate to see any machine set and go to pot like this.

• Brad_G
      Brad_G commented
      Editing a comment
      RevB, well that's great that you have that much interest already. Good luck on everything and let us know how this story ends.

• RevB
      RevB commented
      Editing a comment
      Sold it without working on it, gave full disclosure. Got $3900 thank you guys very much.

So this is where it puked. Is this the normal spot? And the second pic is where I think it came from, is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by RevB View Post
      So this is where it puked. Is this the normal spot? And the second pic is where I think it came from, is that right?
      Typical carb puke is when you turn the engine off and the heat makes the fuel expand in the fuel lines and push through the carb input needle/seat and bowl and pushes it out the overflow. Removal of the fuel pump and just using gravity feed will solve this and allow the fuel to expand into the tank.

Comment

• RevB
        RevB commented
        Editing a comment
        This one puked while running. Was strange to say the least. Thank you very much.

I think the OP needs to just pull carb and clean thoroughly and look into new gaskets. Don't think he wants to start modifying this pristine low mileage bike that is for sale!
      LET'S RIDE

Comment

Well guys I can’t thank you enough. I was going to drop the bowl and the screws just didn’t want to give. I saw all the wires and such hooked to the carburetor and decided to let the shop do it. But the potential buyers were persistent. So they came to look at it . It started and ran fine other than a screwy idle. I told them everything I said here and the one guy offered me $3900 as is. He is to come get it tomorrow.

It’s going to make him and his wife a great bike. Even if they have to do a little carb work.

My friend would be very happy with the outcome. His wife is overjoyed, she doesn’t have to spend any money on it.

Again a big thanks to everyone at the Road Star Clinic!

Comment

• SuperG
          SuperG commented
          Editing a comment
          Good deal - and you can always point the new owner over to this board if they want to go over the carb themselves. It's an easy afternoon job.

• Brad_G
          Brad_G commented
          Editing a comment
          RevB, thank you for taking on this task in memory of your friend. It's nice to hear of people that are more concerned with others than themselves. As SuperG mentioned, point the new owner in this direction. It's always nice to have new members here as we all share a common bond. Stick around yourself if you have an interest.

Wow $3900.00 that's incredible! Take that money and run! Be sure to refer your buyer to The Roadstar Clinic. Always room for one more.

Comment

Good deal for both buyer and seller
          LET'S RIDE

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Father Pobasturd, 05-24-2019, 02:51 PM
          1,009 responses
          2 likes
          Last Post MikeyC
          by MikeyC