Hello All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello All

I recently picked up a 2002 Road Star 1600 with 3100 miles. This is my 1st personal bike so I have a lot to learn. Sometimes I try to do it myself and other times I seek out a professional. I'm in MD so if any members are in the DC, VA, MD region, we can work something out where i can pay you for your time. Maybe it's just me, but there doesn't seem a lot of motorcycle shops that deal with metric bikes. I'm still looking, but I see a lot that deal with Harley mostly.

One of the first things I want to do is get a new exhaust. I don't know what kind is on there now but the chrome is peeling and it just sounds loud but not "clean". That leads to the next part, making sure it's running right. I wanted a fuel injected bike so i didn't have to worry about it, but I have this one now so I want it tuned correctly. This leads me back to what i said above, i can pick up an exhaust and change it, but the tuning i would leave to a pro. If anyone fits that bill or can recommend a reputable and reasonable shop, please let me know.

Other mods I will look to do in the winter so that if i mess up or take forever, i won't lose any riding time. For wheels I want to get black spoke wheels, 21" front and unsure which size rear goes well with that. It seems Harley wheels can be had for cheap vs custom wheels so that will be my 1st choice. Some mini ape hangers possibly and some hard bags and a fairing that i can use at times. I need to get a 2 up seat but my rear fender is a fiberglass aftermarket from what i can tell. There are no holes or hardware to install the passenger seat. That will also be something i have a pro do.

That's it for now i guess. Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

Welcome from the PNW! First of all, cool bike, I dig the black and white with red stripe. Secondly, how is the bike running right now? Looks like you’ve already got aftermarket exhaust and air intake.

Comment

This is what I envision mine looking like for the most part. It won't be exactly the same but just to give you an idea. As i stated above, i will get saddlebags which will probably stay on all the time, and a fairing which I will use sometimes. Plus i would like bigger wheel(s).

Comment

from Solon, IA. Good looking bike. There will be a lot of good folks here that can help with any questions you have.

Comment

Looks like stock fender to me... Sure it's not metal and someone just had bolt holes covered/repainted fender (I did that on one of my bikes). Check to see if ite metal or fiberglass

Have you checked to see if the trans recall was done (very important!)? Contact Yamaha directly to verify and if NOT been done yet take it in (free recall) And have them install upgraded oil pump gear at same time.

Need to pull carb and look at what needle and jets are in it and what groove the clip is on... To determine if you have proper jetting.

Pipes are a personal thing... Longshots like you have are great If they have baffles installed... Without baffles sound great at idle but blatty and silly when riding. Shorts sound loud and raspy in a good way (annoying to some) 2 into 1 is deep rumble.

Lots ofntups/tricks to make these bikes better and free manuals to download and tons of good info here so you can do it yourself!

LET'S RIDE

Comment

• 6door7r
            6door7r commented
            Editing a comment
            I looked up the recall and it doesn't apply to the 2002 model that i have.

Originally posted by LUV4RS View Post
          Welcome from the PNW! First of all, cool bike, I dig the black and white with red stripe. Secondly, how is the bike running right now? Looks like you’ve already got aftermarket exhaust and air intake.
          That's what I'm still trying to narrow down. I've never dealt with a carburetor on a motorctcle before. I can go in the garage, turn on the fuel, open the choke, and she starts up. Crank seems slow but i think I saw a video saying that's normal. Idle doesn't seem very consistent or "smooth" and a twist of the throttle has a little hesitation before revving.

Comment

Originally posted by Lug Nut View Post
            Looks like stock fender to me... Sure it's not metal and someone just had bolt holes covered/repainted fender (I did that on one of my bikes). Check to see if ite metal or fiberglass

Have you checked to see if the trans recall was done (very important!)? Contact Yamaha directly to verify and if NOT been done yet take it in (free recall) And have them install upgraded oil pump gear at same time.

Need to pull carb and look at what needle and jets are in it and what groove the clip is on... To determine if you have proper jetting.

Pipes are a personal thing... Longshots like you have are great If they have baffles installed... Without baffles sound great at idle but blatty and silly when riding. Shorts sound loud and raspy in a good way (annoying to some) 2 into 1 is deep rumble.

Lots ofntups/tricks to make these bikes better and free manuals to download and tons of good info here so you can do it yourself!

fender is definitely fiberglass. A magnet confirmed that for me. I will call yamaha about the transmission recall. I assume i just give the VIN # and they can confirm from there. If not, I guess whoever does the transmission recall I can see about checking the carb out. Ideally i can change the exhaust before that so it can all be adjusted at the same time. I think I'm sold on shorts as opposed to long (aesthetically) and the v&h short shots are the least expensive brand new exhuast I find anyway. That's a win win in that regard. True duals are what i'll probably do in the end.

Comment

Don't have a dealer do the jetting.... "we" here on the RSC have determined the best jetting for our bikes and NOT the general instructions included with a jet kit.

For 1600 with pipes and aircleaner...
              Needle 4th groove from short end with washers and spacer in stock position (1 silver washer and plastic spacer under the clip)
              167.5 main.
              37.5 pilot.
              Start PMS at 2.5 turns out and dial it in when hot and idle is set to 850-900

After turning the PMS screw out and the bike warmed up idling, use a tachometer, or listening very closely while turning the PMS screw in or out to find the highest idle. After you find the highest idle, turn the PMS screw out 1/8 to 1/4 turns. Your done.
              If you have to turn the PMS screw out more than 3 1/2 turns, then change the pilot jet to richer pilot.

Change your 4 spark plugs Use stock NGK plugs (not iridium just plain)

Run seafoam in gas tank (1 Oz per gallon gas) for the next couple tankfulls

V&H short shots with baffles are a great choice

Change fuel filter

Don't know if I would mount a passenger seat on fiberglass fender or not But you can buy a stock rear 99-03 fender for about $100 used.
              LET'S RIDE

Comment

Alot of what you said is what i either have done or am going to do with my bike, I have the hard bags but need shortys first.

Welcome, everyone on here seems to really want to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Lug Nut View Post
                  Don't have a dealer do the jetting.... "we" here on the RSC have determined the best jetting for our bikes and NOT the general instructions included with a jet kit.

For 1600 with pipes and aircleaner...
                  Needle 4th groove from short end with washers and spacer in stock position (1 silver washer and plastic spacer under the clip)
                  167.5 main.
                  37.5 pilot.
                  Start PMS at 2.5 turns out and dial it in when hot and idle is set to 850-900

After turning the PMS screw out and the bike warmed up idling, use a tachometer, or listening very closely while turning the PMS screw in or out to find the highest idle. After you find the highest idle, turn the PMS screw out 1/8 to 1/4 turns. Your done.
                  If you have to turn the PMS screw out more than 3 1/2 turns, then change the pilot jet to richer pilot.

Change your 4 spark plugs Use stock NGK plugs (not iridium just plain)

Run seafoam in gas tank (1 Oz per gallon gas) for the next couple tankfulls

V&H short shots with baffles are a great choice

Change fuel filter

Don't know if I would mount a passenger seat on fiberglass fender or not But you can buy a stock rear 99-03 fender for about $100 used.
                  Wow, that's a lot of useful info. It gives me confidence to maybe go at it myself. I was hoping to keep the existing fender for 2up due to the paint job on it. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by 6door7r View Post

Wow, that's a lot of useful info. It gives me confidence to maybe go at it myself. I was hoping to keep the existing fender for 2up due to the paint job on it. Thanks for the help!
                    Ask others about fender... I just hate seeing a potentially dangerous situation for passenger. Make sure after you pull the carb off to see if it has Barons adjustable needle (included in the Barons kit) if not order the kit. Can do it all yourself.. Use phone to take pics of what you working on so you know where stuff goes... Get manual online... Read tech articles on various things to do here on the site... Buys decent metric tools...

https://wayback.archive-it.org/10073...ap/Itemid,179/
                    LET'S RIDE

Comment

The key had a tag from a shop by the original owner's home. I called to inquire about any service history. Here's what i got from for work done in 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Neverdone View Post
                        Alot of what you said is what i either have done or am going to do with my bike, I have the hard bags but need shortys first.

Welcome, everyone on here seems to really want to help.
                        good luck with yours. I came across this exhaust and I like it too. Not much more than the short shots @ $499. Pacific Coast Star Roadster exhaust.

Comment

If the stock subframe is under that fender it will take a passenger fine.https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a...bc7901fc/frame

Comment

• roadiemort
                            roadiemort commented
                            Editing a comment
                            #2 in the link.

• Brad_G
                            Brad_G commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That was my thought as well. My only question is looking at pictures, the subframe isn't exactly rounded along the top cross bars and following the fender form. I wasn't sure if the seat pads would sit in an area where the fender may not have direct contact with the subframe.

https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a...c7901fd/fender

Comment

Originally posted by roadiemort View Post
                            If the stock subframe is under that fender it will take a passenger fine.https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a...bc7901fc/frame
                            I do see that underneath. Thanks!

Comment

This eBay link has some good pictures of the subframe.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1333130007?ii...iABEgI0rvD_BwE

Comment

Representing Scorpion Gulch, Arizona. Good luck with your projects. Here's a pic of mine with V&H Short shots.

Comment

from Athens, Georgia.
                                  That's a nice scooter you got there, Bubba.
                                  Enjoy the ride !!
                                  I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

from New York. Nice fine!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                    Started by Squirts, 6 hours ago
                                    7 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Brad_G
                                    by Brad_G

Started by boomerA, 1 week ago
                                    17 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post SuperG
                                    by SuperG

Started by J89k, 2 days ago
                                    21 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post DEEPHATE  
                                    Started by DEEPHATE, 1 week ago
                                    16 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Shores
                                    by Shores

Started by Jaybo, 02-08-2020, 05:54 PM
                                    314 responses
                                    3 likes
                                    Last Post Lug Nut
                                    by Lug Nut

Started by a_gunslinger, 1 week ago
                                    28 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Chromepony  
                                    Started by AR. Hillbilly, 02-01-2020, 10:31 AM
                                    21 responses
                                    1 like
                                    Last Post catnaper2  
                                    Started by Kevin Di, 2 days ago
                                    17 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Kevin Di  
                                    Started by Jaybo, 1 day ago
                                    15 responses
                                    3 likes
                                    Last Post Lug Nut
                                    by Lug Nut

Started by Lyndon53, 17 hours ago
                                    1 response
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Lug Nut
                                    by Lug Nut

Started by Overkill jones, 08-25-2018, 09:02 PM
                                    7 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post brianmac  
                                    Started by 07 silverado, 1 week ago
                                    3 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post 07 silverado  
                                    Started by Rick Fortner, 4 days ago
                                    15 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Rick Fortner  
                                    Started by DEEPHATE, 2 days ago
                                    13 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Jclevesque  
                                    Started by Father Pobasturd, 05-24-2019, 02:51 PM
                                    990 responses
                                    2 likes
                                    Last Post Jaybo
                                    by Jaybo

Started by RTT, 1 week ago
                                    30 responses
                                    0 likes
                                    Last Post Lug Nut
                                    by Lug Nut

Started by SuperG, 2 days ago
                                    1 response
                                    3 likes