No announcement yet.

I went down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The nature of true motorcycle rider is getting right back on the horse that throws them, which is exactly what you did, Good luck stay safe

Comment

Damn Jay! Glad you are ok, getting to old to be stuffing it in the ditch. Sorry about the new paint job.

Comment

wow.. glad you are okay.

Comment

I made another post but anyone have the inner fender/frame section?
          2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

Wow Jay, scary. But you're still alive, thanks for sharing. It's very kind of you to be humble and tell your story. We care for all our biker buddies out there, and it's a good reminder to everyone. Be careful Ya'll and full alert. God bless you friend.

Comment

Jay...
              how's the repairs going ?
              I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

Originally posted by Chromepony View Post
                Jay...
                how's the repairs going ?
                I found a fender support on Ebay for a decent price, got my new bars on and polished my resi and clutch perch. Getting chrome covers for the switch housings since they need to look nice with the new bars. Oh yeah and ordered a 36" top brake line as well. Hopefully I'll get everything fairly quickly so I can get back on the road!
                2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Comment

• Chromepony
                  Chromepony commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like you're movin' right along.
                  Keep us in the loop,
                  Lookin' forward to the NW Hoedown !

How about a progress report on the rebuild ?
                I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

Originally posted by Chromepony View Post
                  How about a progress report on the rebuild ?
                  Not too much to report, I am putting it back together with new 18" apes. got rid of my 12" bars with 6" risers since the bars were bent. Working on the headlight wiring now, got the switch soldered up and ready to put it on and see if that fixes the problem. Fender is on, and ready to mount the bags today also. Still need to sand out the gouges, but want to talk to my paint/body guy first and get feedback from that. May just buff it down and a primer spot. He did ask me what color I was going to go with next. LOL

Comment

• Chromepony
                    Chromepony commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Primer spots are good !
                    Never give up...
                    never surrender !!

Hey man, sorry to hear you went down but glad you made it out mostly unscathed. I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. A lot of folks would let pride prevent them from sharing, but it’s an important message you’re putting out there cause we all need reminding how quickly things can go south if you take your mind off the task in front of you even for just a few seconds. I know I constantly catch myself enjoying the scenery a little too often or a little too long all while thinking that it will never happen to me. But reality kicks in and I remember I’ve dropped every bike I’ve ever owned. Thanks again buddy and glad you’re ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo View Post
                    Down down down, I went down... and no, not the good down. I was up on a single lane paved road cruising about 30-ish coming into a slight corner. In this area there is OHV trail with humorous names, names of people, etc, I glanced over to read the name of the trail, glanced back and I was at the very edge of the pavement and I panic braked and dropped off the pavement and the front wheel locked up. Into the ditch I went. It was a fairly deep V ditch and I went down right into the V on the right side. It put me through the Clearview windshield and stuffed my face into the ditch. I had my modular helmet on, and it was flipped up since I was being pretty mellow and it was pretty warm. I tweaked my neck pretty good, broke my helmet and worst of all bent my $800 Maui Jim prescription sunglasses. They survived and bent back but they are not quite the same.

I came out of it in good shape, just a seriously tweaked neck that I went in and got X-rays to make sure there was nothing fractured or injury that would be made worse by my chiropractor. I got cleared by my Dr. that nothing was broke just swelling and signs of arthritis that I already knew about. A call to the Chiro I got in and he checked me out and put me on the E-stim therapy machine for 15 minutes as high as I could stand it as well as ice pack. got back in the adjustment room and he was able to crack my neck and it immediately felt much better. 3 days later and my neck feels 95% better. still sore, and taking anti-inflams and a muscle relaxer for bedtime.

It took a bit to get the bike upright since it was in a V ditch and I had to muscle the bike rear end and then do the reverse bike lift to get it upright. I was working on trying to ride it out but the ditch was only getting deeper. The next step was was building a little road out of the ditch so I could walk it out when a guy pulled up and he helped me pull it out with some straps. Fired right up and I took inventory the bars were bent but rideable.and it was running fine. I gorilla taped my helmet up and started back down the road only to start smelling rubber burning. I pulled over and saw that my rear fender tip was rubbing on the tire. tried using bungies to pull it away from the tire with no success. Made the phone call home and had my son bring a trailer up and rescue me. Luckily I had good 4G cell service so the 1.5 hr wait wasn't terrible, not to mention being able to make the rescue call.

Bike has some serious gouges in my right Tsukayu bags and my nice paint is not so nice looking anymore. Also have some scratching on the Combat pipe as well as a shattered windshield and bent Silverado windshield chrome pieces. the rear fender inner mount must be cracked or broken and I found one from an 07 on Ebay for $22 with free shipping. I haven't tore it apart yet but IIRC the later years had a stronger inner mount. New Clearview shield is on order and I have a set of new fat bar apes hanging on the wall in the garage. I was planning to do internal wiring next winter and get away from risers, but will throw them on and do the internal wires next winter.

So yeah, I fucked up, my inattention did some damage to my bike and I got seriously lucky in not getting hurt worse. I'm thinking now about getting one of those crash apps that notifies someone if I go down. I love riding by myself and I always like taking roads off the beaten pathso maybe it would be worth the monthly subscription fee during riding season. I was complacent and not paying attention and it bit me. Just glad the outcome was a positive thing and the bike damage can be fixed.
                    Glad to hear you’re okay. And that your bike is mostly okay too.
                    Most of us have been in that exact situation and either went down are almost did.
                    Coincidentally I damn near bailed myself last night. Just got new brake lines and installed the front ones last night. Pumped the front a thousand times to get the pressure back and had it 90% there.
                    Thought;
                    Hm... I may as well go for a ride and have more fun while I’m getting that last bit sorted.
                    Fired up, ride up my street while pumping the brake and dipping the front end. Then suddenly I got a full fist load of brake and it locked right up jack knifeing the bike and catapulting the triple tree toward the pavement.
                    I let go quick and luckily the front end bounced back up and I straightened it up.
                    But [email protected]!!!
                    It was 50% instinct and 50% luck that kept me of the pavement.
                    Cheers to a close one mate

Comment

• 2time
                      2time commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nothing like vibration and a few potholes to get that last bubble out. Glad you hung on and recovered.

It's amazing what instinct makes you do! I can recall at least three incidents where instinct kicked in to save my sorry ass from almost sure death. I get cold sweats sometimes going over the events, but I'm still riding whenever the weather permits. I even bought a 2015 XVS1300CT to ride when my RoadStar is down for repair/troubleshooting.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by DEEPHATE, 1 day ago
                    9 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post DEEPHATE  
                    Started by Jdd90, 4 hours ago
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Jclevesque