I went down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went down...

Down down down, I went down... and no, not the good down. I was up on a single lane paved road cruising about 30-ish coming into a slight corner. In this area there is OHV trail with humorous names, names of people, etc, I glanced over to read the name of the trail, glanced back and I was at the very edge of the pavement and I panic braked and dropped off the pavement and the front wheel locked up. Into the ditch I went. It was a fairly deep V ditch and I went down right into the V on the right side. It put me through the Clearview windshield and stuffed my face into the ditch. I had my modular helmet on, and it was flipped up since I was being pretty mellow and it was pretty warm. I tweaked my neck pretty good, broke my helmet and worst of all bent my $800 Maui Jim prescription sunglasses. They survived and bent back but they are not quite the same.

I came out of it in good shape, just a seriously tweaked neck that I went in and got X-rays to make sure there was nothing fractured or injury that would be made worse by my chiropractor. I got cleared by my Dr. that nothing was broke just swelling and signs of arthritis that I already knew about. A call to the Chiro I got in and he checked me out and put me on the E-stim therapy machine for 15 minutes as high as I could stand it as well as ice pack. got back in the adjustment room and he was able to crack my neck and it immediately felt much better. 3 days later and my neck feels 95% better. still sore, and taking anti-inflams and a muscle relaxer for bedtime.

It took a bit to get the bike upright since it was in a V ditch and I had to muscle the bike rear end and then do the reverse bike lift to get it upright. I was working on trying to ride it out but the ditch was only getting deeper. The next step was was building a little road out of the ditch so I could walk it out when a guy pulled up and he helped me pull it out with some straps. Fired right up and I took inventory the bars were bent but rideable.and it was running fine. I gorilla taped my helmet up and started back down the road only to start smelling rubber burning. I pulled over and saw that my rear fender tip was rubbing on the tire. tried using bungies to pull it away from the tire with no success. Made the phone call home and had my son bring a trailer up and rescue me. Luckily I had good 4G cell service so the 1.5 hr wait wasn't terrible, not to mention being able to make the rescue call.

Bike has some serious gouges in my right Tsukayu bags and my nice paint is not so nice looking anymore. Also have some scratching on the Combat pipe as well as a shattered windshield and bent Silverado windshield chrome pieces. the rear fender inner mount must be cracked or broken and I found one from an 07 on Ebay for $22 with free shipping. I haven't tore it apart yet but IIRC the later years had a stronger inner mount. New Clearview shield is on order and I have a set of new fat bar apes hanging on the wall in the garage. I was planning to do internal wiring next winter and get away from risers, but will throw them on and do the internal wires next winter.

So yeah, I fucked up, my inattention did some damage to my bike and I got seriously lucky in not getting hurt worse. I'm thinking now about getting one of those crash apps that notifies someone if I go down. I love riding by myself and I always like taking roads off the beaten pathso maybe it would be worth the monthly subscription fee during riding season. I was complacent and not paying attention and it bit me. Just glad the outcome was a positive thing and the bike damage can be fixed.
    2000 Roadstar 1600 - BAK, Pumpless, Curt's manifold, Mikuni HSR42 Freedom Combat Pipes Jumbo Strong bags, PPG 'HellFire' Paint.

Damn Jay, really sorry to hear, but glad you're relatively OK. Go easy for a while, I'm sure you know soft tissue and neck injuries can flare up after two weeks even when you think you're fine. Be safe out there bud.

Comment

Glad your relatively OK, Look where you drive they say, you drove where you looked for a second, happens all the time....someone admiring your ride and almost run you off the road.

Comment

I’m glad your doing ok Jaybo. Man take it easy for awhile and keep those chiropractic sessions going.

Comment

Glad you're not too bent up.Hope you get your scooter straightened up before the NW StarFest hoedown !

Don't do that again !!
          I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

• Jaybo
            Jaybo commented
            Editing a comment
            Bike will be straightened up this weekend, won't be able to do much about the gouges and paint, other than maybe sand those areas and prime. My painter is going to be pissed at me!

Very sorry to hear that Jay. God was watching you for sure. Glad you survived. I almost did that last week. Two inches from running off the 4” drop/edge of the asphalt on a curve. Hope to see your healthy self soon!

Comment

• Jaybo
            Jaybo commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you brother!

Yes BUMMER ! I've gotta couple Silverado windshield Chrome Center Front pieces , no sides , but your welcome to one of the centers . PASS IT ON like.

Comment

• Jaybo
            Jaybo commented
            Editing a comment
            Horse, that would be awesome! The side piece should be easy to bend back but the center has a curved in dent at the emblem so don't think that will hammer out. I'll PM you my address and let me know your paypal for the shipping cost

Glad to hear you and the bike are on the mend. Didn't you drop the bike another time recently scoping out areas for a ride in the PNW M&G or was that someone else?

Post a list of things you need and maybe some of us have the parts you need and can help you out.

Comment

• Jaybo
            Jaybo commented
            Editing a comment
            It looks like Horse has what I need, at least from what I see now. Will be pulling the bags and fender off this weekend, as well as getting a much closer look at everything. Oh and yeah, but that was really slow speed front wheel washout on slime with just a scrape on my exhaust tip.

Good to hear you survived in one piece! Don't forget to check the steering lock tabs as they are easily bent or broken off. If I was 1600 miles closer I would help you fix it!! Heal up good, and fast!!

Comment

• Jaybo
            Jaybo commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you sir!

That is a real bummer. Hope you feel better.

Comment

• Jaybo
            Jaybo commented
            Editing a comment
            Already feeling a lot better, just a little sore in the neck.

going down sucks. but im glad your doing well considering
          my Wallet is Getting dangerously close to spontaneous combustion

Comment

Jay! Be careful buddy! Sorry I wasn't riding with you. I did that exact thing a few years ago. Take care of yourself and the bike can be fixed. Let me know if you need anything else and I'll see what I have. You can't have Steves seat rail though.
            It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

I know exactly where you were at. Wish I had gone with you. I was trying to steer you away from that road Especially riding alone. Maybe next time you come sailing with us?
              It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

Glad your ok. I have a complete front Silverado windshield. I screwed up the glass but all chrome is perfect. Pay shipping and it yours if horsehammerr doesnt work out. Im in cali. Shipping might be cheaper

Comment

• Jaybo
                  Jaybo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  JB, I'm going to get a closer look at the hardware tonight and make sure it's just the center piece I need, if the others are not fixable I'll take you up on that, otherwise I'll take @horsehammer offer.

• Jaybo
                  Jaybo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  JB, I'm going to try HH's center piece, there is only one side piece that is bent and I think it will straighten out but if not I'll take you up on your offer Thanks again!

Whoa! Glad you're relatively OKAY!!! Missed a bad one, for sure! May God continue to give you grace, and may your neck not flare up and become any further source of difficulty for you!!!

Comment

• Jaybo
                  Jaybo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Neck is already back to its mostly normal state with the usual kinks and arthritis. Thanks for the kind words!

Another victim of target fixation. Bike tends to go where you look, even if you didn't intend for it to. Glad you are OK.

Comment

• Jaybo
                  Jaybo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  FaPo, I didn't have time to fixate on anything, I looked to the side, looked back and I was on the edge of the pavement and panic braked as I went into the ditch. I'm well versed on target fixation with 35+ years of off road riding.

• Father Pobasturd
                  Father Pobasturd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My bad..but after 35 years seems like you wouldn't panic brake. Still glad you came out OK.

• Jaybo
                  Jaybo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know, I should have known better or my brain was on self preservation mode.. whichever, I made it through and didn't get hurt worse other than my pride.

Originally posted by MikeyC View Post
                Jay! Be careful buddy! Sorry I wasn't riding with you. I did that exact thing a few years ago. Take care of yourself and the bike can be fixed. Let me know if you need anything else and I'll see what I have. You can't have Steves seat rail though.
                He can have it if it doesn’t play well with my backrest mount!

Comment

• Jaybo
                  Jaybo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Seat rails are too gaudy anyway!

Jaybo, sorry to hear about your accident. Thank God you are relatively in good shape. Going down sucks but I am sure looking back you know it could have been worse. I hope your neck will heal fast and your scooter will be ready to ride soon. As suggested, make a list of things you need. I have some items and if any of them is what you need you certainly can have them.
                I will not apologize for being white, being straight or for loving this country.

Comment

Damn Jaybo, I'm sorry to here that you went down. That really sucks.
                  Like highvoltage said I'm glad it wasn't a worse accident, but I still hate to here this happened.
                  I know you would like to have split second back, and it goes to show how quickly it can happen.
                  Thank you for sharing your story. We all need to be reminded to pay attention 100% of the time. Most all of my close calls was due to the same thing that you did.
                  I'm glad that you are ok and mending up good. Just take it ez brother, as we aren't young and it takes more to heel. Get well my friend.

Comment

• Jaybo
                    Jaybo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Duke, I'm more bothered about the bike damage. deep scrape right on the rounded side edge of the bag lid right where it is way noticable. Pondering doing textured paint and mask it off on both sides, but that isn't very exciting for me either. Sigh.

Glad to hear you came out OK and not seriously injured...........
                  These bikes hold up well usually when they go down just the attachments take the beatings....... Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	98263

Comment

• Jaybo
                    Jaybo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I should have went the rat bike route, and used big ammo cans for bags! If I ever fall into that great super cheap Roadie for a $1000 or less this is what I really want to do!

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by roadiemort, 13 hours ago
                9 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Shores
                by Shores

Started by mikemuirhead, 2 days ago
                23 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Shores