Winter Storage - Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Storage - Battery

Hey guys, i need to store my bike away for the winter inside my shed which has no electricity, so I'm not able to trickle charge it. What should I do regarding the battery? Should I just remove the battery or disconnect the terminals..What do you recommend? Thanks!

Pull it out and hook it up to a battery tender somewhere convenient.

Use a battery tender that has a ‘float’ feature so you can leave it hooked up indefinitely.

Some trickle chargers without this feature tend to cook them dry by over charging.

Comment

• Kenkaman
      Kenkaman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Bikerron... I think you filled in the missing piece. I definitely considered putting it on a battery tender, but was worried about the battery being overcooked. I wasn't aware about the "floater" feature, so it's definitely something I'll look into. By chance, do you of any places that sell one with that "floater" feature? Tks!

• Bikerron
      Bikerron commented
      Editing a comment
      Amazon has them. Just search motorcycle battery tender. Read the description and it’ll tell you if it has a float feature.

Best case scenario is bring it in somewhere you can trickle it. Barring that, leave it on the bike and start it weekly. Or, just bring the whole bike in the house.

Comment

I haven’t used one, but something like this could be an option:
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07W9..._t3_B0006JO0TC

Comment

• Kenkaman
        Kenkaman commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm...I'll need to look into that further. Tks!

Thanks, PB. I thought the same thing, just wasn't sure, as this is my first winte, with my first bike. Tks!

Comment

“Barring that, leave it on the bike and start it weekly. Or, just bring the whole bike in the house.”

Being married, that’s something that’ll never happen around here.

I’d refrain from just starting it weekly, as it needs to reach operating temperature or condensation will set up in the engine cases and the oil will turn to a white goo.

Links https://www.google.com/search?client...71.grV7VSU8uQE

and... https://www.google.com/search?q=cond...&bih=553&dpr=2

Comment

• fastjohnny
          fastjohnny commented
          Editing a comment
          If you can ride it for at least half an hour it's ok to start it every week. Otherwise let her rest for the winter and take your battery inside and "trickle charge" it.

Difference in opinion here about starting it weekly. I do not recommend as the engine does not get hot enough to burn off vapors from inside the engine. These vapors can contaminate the oil. I have read it a few times in online articles. Once you get it ready for winter, put away and say good day until spring. Disconnect the battery and trickle charge it every so often. JC

Comment

• Kenkaman
          Kenkaman commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm actually considering this route. I agree that running it for a few minutes per week is not the same as riding it several times per week, and won't have much affect on the condensation issues. I'll probably just disconnect the battery and trickle charge it every so often, and deal with everything in Feb/Mar. Thanks!

+1 on not starting it. I'll never forget riding mine on the highway in 26 degree weather and it was still spitting out condensation after 50 miles. Since they don't have any temperature control it's really hard on these engines to operate them in real cold weather.
        Scott B.

Comment

Got to wonder how those air cooled Pratt & Whitney and Wright radial engines in WW2 bombers survived all those missions @ 20-25,000 feet with temps in the -10° to -30° range.

That is, if a 20mm round or two from FW-190 didn’t get it first.

Comment

Those things were packed very tightly in a cowling and running at much higher power settings than our engines ever do or could. If I remember correctly they also had cooling vents that could be opened when necessary. Plus they were designed to run in that environment.
            Scott B.

Comment

Hey, floating chargers at Harbor Freight are under $10... Bought a bunch years ago for under $5, and still use them! I check from time to time with a volt meter, and find them up every time. I have had a couple of those cheap chargers to crap out after only a few years... but, I did get just what I paid for.... The betters ones start at least $40, don't they?

Comment

• Kenkaman
                Kenkaman commented
                Editing a comment
                Brand new Harbor Freight just opened up down the street. I'll check it out. Tks!

• Father Pobasturd
                Father Pobasturd commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Quest, I have a Battery Tender JR too. Is it the floating type? I would leave mine on 'till the light turned green then unplug it for a week or two.

I bought the Battery Tender Junior off Amazon for about $25 a couple years ago. Comes with all the hookup cables.

Works great!

Comment

• Kenkaman
                Kenkaman commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking at it now on Amazon. About $25...

I use Battery Tender Jr.'s on all my bikes. Use the standard Battery Tender for my cars. NEVER had a problem. The Harbor Freight ones can be hit or miss. Bought one a while back when I needed something in a hurry. Worked well for a season then it cooked the battery the next. Definitely don't be starting the bike on a weekly basis. You can't get it hot enough to burn off the condensation. I DO like the idea of bringing it in the house though. LOL I guess that's the reason I have an EX-Wife.

Comment

• Spydr
                Spydr commented
                Editing a comment
                " LOL I guess that's the reason I have an EX-Wife. "
                I would Bet you have a better reason than That.

• davej
                davej commented
                Editing a comment
                I use HF float chargers on all my equipment (5 of them) that has batteries and never had an issue. I'm not sure how a HF float charger fried a battery. It don't and cannot put out enough amperage to fry a battery. Maybe your battery was just due to be replaced. I've been using the same one on my bike since 09 and store it in a cold garage in mi/ohio area that gets pretty cold. All the chargers are made in China so pay what you want for one and it don't mean it's a better charger it just means it cost more because of the name on it.

If you store it all winter you'll want to do an oil change 'cause of all the condensation built up inside the engine. If you start it once a week you will have to do an oil change 'cause of all the condensation . But if you run it ten minutes or so a week, your battery would probably survive. I live in the desert, we don't do condensation here. We're more into evaporation. But if you are able to safely route power to your shed, the floating trickle charger is the best alternative. Just don't use a cheap-o extension cord. Myself, I was taught that condensation in the crank case would burn off the first time you took it for a good long ride, but I'll defer to the experts here.

Comment

• Kenkaman
                Kenkaman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea, I'll probably just disconnect the battery and trickle charge it every so often, and deal with everything in Feb/Mar. Thanks!

Since mine are always in a cold climate & in a barely heated garage in the winter it is easier for me to just remove the battery ( 5 minutes ) and take it upstairs in my office and put it on the trickle charger once a month.

Comment

• Questcap
                Questcap commented
                Editing a comment
                That works, too!

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Jed Milhorne, 04-20-2019, 03:48 AM
            13 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Pauli466