When Did You Know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Did You Know?

Without question, my all time favorite RSC thread (from the old site, of course) was "When did you know". Personal stories and testimonies of how and when you got bit by the riding bug and how that shaped your life.

Great read and great stories.

We all have a story! So let's hear yours.

A condensed version of mine is in my profile, but it started at 13 (1968) with a mini bike owned by a guy in the Navy that would come over on weekends to see my oldest sister when our parents weren't home. He'd let me take it out all afternoon. I was instantly bit by the bug. Then there was the older neighborhood kids with various street bikes...Honda 90, Honda CB 350. They taught me to ride.

My dad bought me and my little sister an old used Honda 175 when I was 15. We took turns riding that thing all the time. Eventually got my motorcycle license on that thing as soon as I turned 16. Bought my own Honda CB350 at 17, but my eye and heart really wanted a CB750. Eventually bought one when I was 19 or 20 and had it up until the time I got married at 23.

I was fine with not having a motorcycle all the years my wife and I raised our 6 kids. But the bug never left me. When our kids were young they would tease me when they'd see how easily distracted I'd get when motorcycles rode by. "Dad, you're doing it again", they'd say.

When our oldest daughter was in high school she used to tell me that when I turned 50 she wants to be able to buy me a motorcycle. She was 22 the year I turned 50 (2005). She got the kids rallied around to do this and told me get whatever kind you want, here's the dollar amount. I found this 2001 with 8800 miles on the clock. She and my oldest son eventually got their motorcycle license and their own bikes. Three years ago the 3 of us rode out to Colorado together to attend a family reunion. The pinnacle of this dad's life and what riding has meant to me all these years.

Similar story. Started on a Heathkit Booney Bike. Then graduated to a Honda SL350. Tore that thing up, literally!. Bought a Honda CB360 and moved to the street. Rode that into the ground and bought a Suzuki 750 (1st year of the in-line 4). Had that for 6 weeks and a lady changed lanes and we totaled the bike. Took the insurance money and bought a Kawasaki KZ650. After a 20+ year hiatus, bought my R*.
    Peace,
    Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidt III
    (But you can call me Joe)

Comment

I think the bug hit me when I was about 6 years old, my brother had a CB350 and used to give rides around the neighborhood, he sat me on the tank and go around for a little ride every time he dad a chance, a the age of 8 I got the best Christmas present ever, my own moped, I rode that everywhere, those days with no internet, PS, XBOX, just my bike, after that my Dad bought me a YZ80 same story, when I was 17 I bought a Kawassaki YZ900 wuao that bike was fast, but since I bought used and previus owner rode the hell out it, diddn't run well, it had a lot of ussues. When I was about 24 I bought a Honda Shadow 650 nice bike, I had it a for a few years and then sold it because of not much use. Did not have a Bike for I while but the bug was always there, got married, have 2 kids and you know the wife, she didn't about motorcycles and she still doesn't. I friend of mine bought a Roadstar 2005 brand new, one day he let me ride it for a little bit and the bug hit me hard again, started talking to my wife about it and she didn't pay much attention, it was always an excuse, until one day I went to the Yamaha dealer apply for a loan and got my 2006 roadie. It was something I did without talking to my wife, I drove my car to the dealer, bought the bike rode home and ask my wife to take me back to the dealer to pick my car up, The dealer was about 45 min from my house, during that time you could hear crickets in the car, she was upset and was looking out the window like a little kid, man but it was worth it, it took about 3 days for her to get over and I still have my Roadie and I almost sure it probably will be with me until I die.

Comment

Those are great stories, mine is kind of boring. Dad brought home a Yamaha 80 when I was about 10, older sister and I road it constantly, at 14 I bought a Honda Elsinore 125, we rode in the hills and that Elsinore kept you on your toes, couple of trail 90's, never did like them. Dad spilled his street bike, I think it was a CB550 we stripped the busted stuff, fenders and put a couple pieces of water pipe for exhaust and rode that as a dirt bike, it was heavy. At 18 I got a Yamaha 400 that I rode for awhile then got married and had to pretty much sell everything, wife hated it when I would take my first daughter on the dirt bike but daughter loved it. Daughter rides now. Wasn't to long before I got a dirt bike again, then when the kids were in their low teens we got quads. Got divorced and got a Kawasaki 800 Indian that I road for a couple of years and then the Road Star, then another Road Star, then a chopper......... and life goes on
        It's not that life is so short, it's just that you're dead for so long.---unknown.

Comment

Early '70s...shipmate rode a Honda 150 from Florida to South Carolina, and let me ride it around the trailer park he and his brother lived in. One day, while visiting, his brother announced that he had a Kawasaki 350 dual purpose bike available to the person with the first $100. It was just past payday, and I didn't go clubbing, so I had the cash. Shortly afterwards, I broke my collarbone riding that bike after it was street-legalized. Multiple streetbikes after that, all Hondas, w/ one totally wrecked and no injuries. Replacement bike idled due to mechanical issues in '97. Re-entered market in '05(?) w/ my first cruiser (650 Classic) . Wrecked that bike (not my fault) , bought a 950T ('09), traded it for my first roadie (wrecked it 48 days later), bought its replacement two weeks later,put over 45k on it, but now sidelined due to a dislocated shoulder and torn rotator cuff.

Comment

In the late 1960's when I was growing up in Northern CA and I saw a bunch of Oakland Hells Angels on a run to somewhere. There must have been 100 guys in that run. My parents were taking us to San Francisco for the day from our house and their they were riding down the Freeway and my Mom is freaking out telling us not to do anything stupid out the rear window of our station wagon. So as they catch up and then pass us my sister and I are flashing them all peace signs as they each go by. Chrome, hair, tats and loud pipes blasting by us and every one of them smiling or giving peace signs back. Way too cool and I had to have a bike to be just like that. I was maybe 8 years old at the time. Got my first ape hanger mini bike right after that and its never been the same since.
            Go ahead, I dare ya.

Comment

Great stories!

Comment

My avatar is me on my older brother's bike when I little. The bug didn't hit me until about 30 years later, though. At around 40 I decided to buy a motorcycle simply to save gas and was addicted pretty quickly. I went through a 450 Rebel, a Shadow 600 and then a Road Star in the following 5 years or so. Getting hit by a car from behind and skinned up put me off of riding, though and I sold the Roadie.

Last year my son decided to make a big jump from his Rebel to a 1200 Sportster. Literally one ride on that while we were sorting it out had me shopping for bikes all over again. It was pretty much like giving a former smoker a cigarette. I guess that's when I really knew.

Comment

My Dad had a '45 H/D Flathead. I grew up riding (on the tank until I was big enough to sit on the back seat) on that old military scooter.
                  When I was 12 yrs. old, he sold the '45 & bought a used '61 FLH.
                  I saved money earned by mowing yards & when I was 15 yrs. old, I bought a Cushman Super Eagle (much to my Mother's dismay) for $ 175.00.
                  Been ridin' ever since.
                  I love the smell of smoked pork in the morning !

Comment

Originally posted by Txulrich View Post
                    Similar story. Started on a Heathkit Booney Bike. Then graduated to a Honda SL350. Tore that thing up, literally!. Bought a Honda CB360 and moved to the street. Rode that into the ground and bought a Suzuki 750 (1st year of the in-line 4). Had that for 6 weeks and a lady changed lanes and we totaled the bike. Took the insurance money and bought a Kawasaki KZ650. After a 20+ year hiatus, bought my R*.
                    I think it's a genetic thing with me. Here's a picture of my paternal grandparents from the '20s. I would love to find a similar model and refurbish it in tribute.
                    Peace,
                    Baron Wilhelm Gustav von Schmidt III
                    (But you can call me Joe)

Comment

• Doc_V
                      Doc_V commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a seriously cool photo... Somewhere, there's not too cool photo of my father on his Honda Trail 90, plaid shirt [not the cool kind], slacks, brown shoes and black socks, Jackass engineer gloves, and a bubble visor helmet. Next to him was my uncle with his leather jacket, fingerless gloves, bandana, Harley square-toe boots and a Softail Springer Custom. My father said a car was a means to get from A to B. My uncle raced cars and speedboats... Yep, my uncle was the cool one.
                      Last edited by Doc_V; 06-20-2018, 01:05 PM.

• Txulrich
                      Txulrich commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Doc. It must be genetic. My dad rode as well. I also have a picture of my 4 yr old granddaughter on a small quad having an absolute blast!

Originally posted by Txulrich View Post

I think it's a genetic thing with me. Here's a picture of my paternal grandparents from the '20s. I would love to find a similar model and refurbish it in tribute.
                    That's an awesome picture, Txulrich.

Comment

I was a kid in the 60's lot's of kids had mini bikes,then Came bronson was on TV, hell's angels were in the news and in the movies,choppers were the latest thing.....who didn't want to be on 2 wheels?
                      My parents bought a used Honda CB160 for my 12th birthday, truth be told I think it for my stepfather lol !
                      A few short years later (in high school) I bought a HondaCB175 and later a CB350....many bikes and years later a Roadstar.
                      I was bikeless for many years,while we were raising our son but the year he turned 16 I got back in the saddle,that was about the year 2000.I will keep riding as long as I'm physically able (hopefully another 60 years) lol

Comment

These are great stories. Anyone else?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	24923

Comment

• Doc_V
                            Doc_V commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Now that's cool.

• Bikerron
                            Bikerron commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Doc, i was probably eight when I rode with my brother on his ‘51 barrel spring Cushman. That rack was hard, but I didn’t care. He took me eveywhere on that thing.

Well, it's 1971. I'm 17 and we'd go to those B-grade biker movies at the drive-in. You know, the ones where they ride as a gang, and just generally raise heck everywhere they stop... one of 'em dies, and they dig a hole by the side of the road, pop a cold one, and they all throw their empties in, and cover 'im up... you know the kind. So, I ask my parents if I could get a bike... Nope! No way!!! So, I bought a used '67 Honda 90 Dream at the local dealer for $150 and kept it at my best friend's! I ran that thing hard, off-road, all over the place. It'd do 60 flat out in 4th. Sold it later for... $150! My buddies were all a year or two older, and could afford stuff due to their better jobs. Me, I found a '66 305 CB77 Super Hawk in 2 boxes for $100... I painted and put that whole thing together myself without a manual! My bud put down some $1,400 for a new 450. During his break-in period, my 305 ran better than his 450, and was he ever upset about that... the after break-in tune-up though, sure fixed that! That thing was pretty quick! We'd go to New Hampshire or Cape Cod to camp. I ran that 305 everywhere. Bent it up jumping Evel Kneivel style in some local sand pits! We tore it down, pulled the frame back together using a come-along, and welded some gusseting where it had bent... put it back together and sold it to my girlfriend's younger brother. I joined the army.

When I got to Ft. Carson spring of '73, I found a Triumph/Yami dealer and was about to buy a new Bonneville for about $1,700 or $1,800 then, but they had a 1 yr used Yami XS 2, the venerable 650 vertical twin in red and white for $1,200. It was love at first sight! I rode that bad boy to MA on leave that summer, and back a month later. I tore it all down that winter in the log cabin I lived in some 26 miles off-post, up in a little mountain community, and commenced to semi-chop that thing... not by extending the front forks, like others were doing. O, no! I had the rear swingarm extended 3 1/2" to lower the back end! I put Sportster fender struts and rear fender on it, with some upswept megaphone mufflers, and 6-bend entended Z-bars. Had a tall sissy bar welded on, and would pack my duffle bag and strap it to that sissy bar, standing upright... it was like riding on a living-room couch! 'Cept the Yami saddle on that was worse than an R*!!! My orders came down for Germany, and I rode it across the country to MA again!

Fast-forward... it's '01, and I'm starting to make good money in my business. I wanted another XS 650, but couldn't find a nice one at the time, but I saw my first 650 V-Star Custom... bought it, and rode that for 4 years. In '05, I found a great deal on an 1,100 Custom, so I bought that. 2 years later, my best bud, from all the way back then, and I discover the Road Star. I got a deal on an '01, and he liked it so much, we found a nice '02 for him the very next week. We STILL have them, and ride them together... 11 years later! I've added 2 more R*s to the stable. All 3 are configured differently.

I try the new Victory's, when there were test-ride days, and I try the new Indians... those are all nice, but they don't sell me. I get back on my R*, and ride off, and I realize... they're never gonna get me off my R*s with any of those other bikes. I had a Strat for a few months... too big and smooth for my taste. The R* is JUST right. I get admiring looks and words from a lot of folks, including Harley guys.

Now, next winter.. I'm bringing one inside and I'm gonna......... That's for another post.

Comment

I had a friend who started on the typical Briggs and Stratton mini bike. I got to ride it a couple of times. Next he got a Honda 50. Same story. Next he got a Honda 90. I think I got to ride it once. This was all okay, but when a neighbor of his showed up with an HD around 1972, one look and I decided I was missing something.
                            I traded my car that had been crunched by a tree, for a 1973 Kawasaki 3cylinder 2stroke, a few years later. The guy I got it from had done some work on it. It ran really well.

Fast forward to the mid 90’s, and I could actually afford a new HD. I got a 95 Springer.....because of the Springer. Really. I could of give a rip about the whole HD thing. It was the front end.
                            It was while I was riding that bike, I saw the new Roadstar sitting in front of the Yammi shop.

Fast forward about 12 years, and I decide I’d get another bike. Circumstances had caused me to unload the HD. A friend was going through a phase of buying and flipping bikes. I was looking at a Suzi he was messing with, and started regretting not having a bike.
                            It was during the search, I stumbled on the Roadstar again. It was one of those palm to the fore head moments. As soon as I saw a Roadie pic in a Craigslist add, the light went on. “”Oh yeah! I remember those”. I looked for awhile and when the maroon and gold one I have bolted to the Sidecar showed up in the next state over, I bought it.
                            I bought the sig pic bike a few years later. I really like Springer front ends.

Comment

• YZ18
                              YZ18 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I too really like the springer front end and to put it on a great bike such as the RS its the best of both worlds.

I think it was 1982 I was 7 and my father was in the Air Force. One day he brought home this 70’s dirt bike I think it was a Kawasaki that was given to him by someone out at the base that was transferring over seas. My mom was not real happy as she did not like motorcycles. My dad convinced her to let him keep it and he would ride it up and down the street around the back yard giving my brother and I rides. I also started out sitting up on the tank then on the seat. We had it for about a year before he finally convinced my mom to ride it by herself. I remember the day like it was yesterday. She got on it my dad giving her tips and she was off riding around the backyard. She got more confident as she went along started having fun and then it happened.....as she was going along the back of yard near the fence she hit a good bump which caused her to hit the chain link fence with the handle bar and wrecked her. The next day the motorcycle was gone and my brother and I were not allowed to have a motorcycle of our own. A lot of my friends has dirt bikes so I was able to ride theirs as long as my mom never found out luckily she never did. Fast forward to when I was 18 and one of my friends who was 2 years older had a street bike and I was jealous cause it was cool as hell. I convinced him to teach me how to ride a street as I was only knowledgeable about dirt bikes. So one he said okay and he gave me the keys to his 900 Ninja. I wish I could say this has a happy ending with me taking the bike and riding like I was meant to have a motorcycle but it doesn’t. After riding it around a parking lot and him feeling comfortable for me to run it down the road and really go through the gears I was off. Now there I was tank top, shorts, tennis shoes but I did have a helmet, running down a country rd just flying on that 900 Ninja the rush the speed the power I was hooked . After a fe2 mind going down the road I decided I should turn around and go back, but instead of riding down to the intersection and turning there I decided to do it in the middle of the road. I slowed down started my turn the bike then felt like it was tipping over instinct twisted the throttle and the front wheel came off the ground and I ended up nose first into the ditch wrecking my buddies Ninja. As I laid there in the ditch not seriously hurt thankfully all I could do was think about how much fun that was and haven’t looked back since. I bought my 1st bike not long after that once I went to college started with a older Honda then moved to a Yamaha Seca then took a break from bikes for bit as I moved around a lot for work and my wife wasn’t so keen on them. Then happy days I got a divorce week later I bought my Roadstar. Got remarried my wife loves riding and my kids do to. My 9 year old says he wants his 1st car to be a motorcycle, can’t be happier......

Comment

It's difficult to pinpoint the exact moment "when I knew"; motorcycles have always been a part of my life. Some of my earliest memories were of sitting in front of my dad on his little Honda Trail 90 as we tooled up and down the block. But if I had to pick a point, it was probably when I was 13 and he finally let me ride solo around the parking lot of Camp Curry in Yosemite National Park. We had an old Chevy camper van with these racks that hung off the front bumper; my father would load up the Trail 90 and we'd take it with us on weekend camping trips. So there I was, puttering around the lot in Yosemite, and I guess you could say that was when it happened.

Literally, from that day forward, I saved every single *dime* I could earn to buy a bike when I turned 15 and a half; the age you could get a motorcycle license back then. I even did the neighbors yard, weeding and all, for a BUCK I was so desperate. At 15 I talked my father into buying a used Nighthawk 450, that was too good a deal to pass up, and promised I would pay him back when I earned it all. [I had saved up $1000 at that point.] A few years after that I got a CB900, then at 25 I bought a Sportster 883. A few years after that I bought my uncle's 78' CB750K that I turned into a cafe race. That got me into sport bikes and I bought a YZF600R, then an R6, and eventually a Ninja 750. As the years wore on, I got tired of my knees and wrists always hurting, so it was time to move to cruisers and I got my first R*. I'm currently on R* #2.

It's been 37 years and I hope to keep on rinding for another 37 to come. [One can always hope.]

That said, when I first read the title, I thought it was referring to when I knew I wanted a R*. That one is easy. It was the moment I saw my first one; or more specifically, when I heard it. At the time, I'd been hunting for months for a Kawasaki Nomad, but having one hell of a time finding one in my price range. Just to sit on one, I drove 40 miles to a dealer who had one on the showroom floor. It was nice and all, but still lacking in certain areas. As it turns out, there was a guy who'd listed a R* for sale in the same town, so on the spur of the moment, I called to see if he was available and he agreed to meet me at a gas station a couple miles down the road. I got there before him and as I waited, I heard this rumble coming down the road... I thought to myself, "now *that's* how a bike should sound!" To my surprise, it was the R*. He pulled in to the station and *that* is the moment II knew... It had to have a R*!

This is the actual bike. It was a little out of my price range at the time, but it's the one that bit me.

Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_1247.JPGViews:	1Size:	168.3 KBID:	25003

Incidentally, this is the one I brought home the very next day! Of course I had to stop and take photos before I got home. That was 7 years ago and now I'm on R* #2. The rest, as they say, is history...

Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_1253.JPGViews:	1Size:	169.8 KBID:	25004
                              Last edited by Doc_V; 06-20-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I was bit in 1972 when at age four, I sat on the blue chopper of my sister's boyfriend. He would ride to the house with some of his biker friends. I always loved the look, sound and feel of bikes. Got my first chopper trike the next year at age 5 (no motor, had to pedal it) but I loved that thing and was always on it.

Then I rode my first mini bike at 9 and had a smile on face wider than my head. That was first time a motor moved the bike for me simply by cranking a throttle. Then my brother bought a Honda Hawk II around 1976 or 1977 and sat me between him and tank during a ride. He taught me to clutch, shift and throttle smoothly and let go of the controls completely, letting me ride the bike with him as a passenger. Being "bit" here doesn't do justice to the feeling I had.

It was then my greatest quest in life to hound my parents until I got a bike of my own. That day came at the age of 11 when I bought a used Honda CT70 that didn't run. We got it running and I rode it as much as I could. But I really wanted a motocross bike. Mom and Dad couldn't afford that so, shortly after when my brother left for the Marine Corp, he traded in his Hawk II and got me a Honda XR80 with some gear. I rode the heck out of that bike and got intensely into motocross and eventually moved up to an RM250 for racing. I also bought a 1979 CX550 for years but got eventually moved overseas for missions work in 1993 and sold everything. Didn't own a bike from then until 2001. That was very hard and I constantly had actual dreams of owning a bike a riding. My nightmares were dreams that I sold my bikes and had nothing to ride. Then I woke up and realized it wasn't a dream but reality

I moved back to Europe in 2001 and rode a Honda Bali 100 for a year and then a Kymco B&W 150 four stroke which was great for getting around the city traffic, but I missed a "full motorcycle" terribly. I only rode "full bikes" when borrowing from a friend. Upon our return to the USA in 2013, my first economical two-wheel purchase was a 2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750. Felt great to be on a manual speed bike again, but the 750 quickly felt underpowered for me. After one year I sold it for $40 less than I paid and bought a 2001 Harley Davidson 1200 custom, which I happily rode for 3 years until I sold it a few weeks ago and bought my Roadie. I plan to keep the Roadie indefinitely and live happily ever after
                                Attached Files

Shiny Side ⬆︎ Rubber Side ⬇︎

Comment

A long time running favorite topic of mine here on the RSC. So what's your story?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                  Started by 6door7r, 9 hours ago
                                  5 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post 6door7r
                                  by 6door7r

Started by roadiemort, 2 hours ago
                                  0 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post roadiemort  
                                  Started by roadiemort, 5 hours ago
                                  0 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post roadiemort  
                                  Started by Va. 63 Roadie, 2 weeks ago
                                  17 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post sprt220
                                  by sprt220

Started by LDofDC, 3 days ago
                                  11 responses
                                  4 likes
                                  Last Post Doc_V
                                  by Doc_V

Started by LDofDC, 12-23-2020, 11:17 AM
                                  173 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post roadiemort  
                                  Started by roadiemort, 3 days ago
                                  3 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post dbtk44
                                  by dbtk44

Started by roadiemort, 14 hours ago
                                  0 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post roadiemort  
                                  Started by roadiemort, 14 hours ago
                                  0 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post roadiemort  
                                  Started by Roadstarkazoo, 4 days ago
                                  7 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Smokescreens  
                                  Started by Lug Nut, 17 hours ago
                                  2 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Lug Nut
                                  by Lug Nut

Started by Sasquatch, 1 day ago
                                  3 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Sasquatch  
                                  Started by grubsie, 1 day ago
                                  16 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Shores
                                  by Shores

Started by MRH, 3 days ago
                                  9 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post MRH
                                  by MRH

Started by tyates007, 2 days ago
                                  5 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post SbTx_Rider  
                                  Started by Airlordd1, 6 days ago
                                  6 responses
                                  0 likes
                                  Last Post Shores
                                  by Shores

Started by Father Pobasturd, 05-24-2019, 02:51 PM
                                  1,055 responses
                                  2 likes
                                  Last Post MikeyC
                                  by MikeyC

Started by Jaybo, 02-26-2021, 10:22 PM
                                  94 responses
                                  2 likes
                                  Last Post MikeyC
                                  by MikeyC

Started by MikeyC, 01-11-2021, 12:44 PM
                                  14 responses
                                  1 like